AM and FM DX

Good pick up!

Could you get any other Melbourne stations?

No only Nova 100 did not try any of the others, pretty good considering the signal is highly directional from Dandenong towards Melbourne.

1 Like

And given the terrain between Beechworth and Melbourne.

I tried to drive up Mt Baranduda 767m, which is the highest peak in the area and the home of the local high powered fm and TV stations for the region,but did not make it all the way up.

Nova 100 may have been received better at the peak, but I would be contending with RF interference from 100KW fm services coming off the TV tower. Will try next time I visit.

Yes, in my experience, trying to DX from a site with high powered FM services on it is fruitlessā€¦

I tried it at Mt Sugarloaf near Newcastle and all I got across the band on non local frequencies was mush.

Some mild ducting tonight

Low level signals received include

MIX106.3 Canberra (who had their own Party Music tonight instead of the SCA ā€œGreatest Years In Musicā€).

Canberra ABCs & SBS on 102.3, 103.9 and 105.5

Hit105.9 Orange

South Coast ABCs on 101.9, 103.5 and 105.1

1 Like

Now also receiving Brown Mountain (SE NSW Bega/Cooma) ABCs on 89.7, 99.3 and 100.1

Short range tropo in a few different directions, more enjoyable with the Tecsun as it can null a few more frequencies. 89.9 Riverina is bombing in on the Tecsunā€™s whip antenna; JJJ Brown Mountain also noted on 100.1. No sign of 2MNO on 93.3.

1 Like

I meant to add to my post to say that at the end of my scan last night, I also noted

SW Slopes
88.3 Classic FM, 90.7 JJJ and 91.5 News Radio

89.1 and 89.9 could not be received due to 2BLU and 2VTR respectively that couldnā€™t be nulled out.

Tropo seems to peak between 2200-0000 these days; when I got up this morning at 0700, signals were still there but not as strong. I forgot to mention 2EAR Moruya was in last night as well; this is a hard station to resolve here as Orange is usually dominant and 2EAR uses vertical polarisation.

1 Like

Iā€™m getting Rhema over 2SSR on 99.7, a first for me. Iā€™m only 5 km from 2SSRā€™s Sutherland Tx, which is practically visible!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good one!

Some strong short hop tropo from Sydney up here into Newcastleā€¦ most Sydney suburban community stations receivable right now, including the hard to get 2BACR Bankstown 100.9 and Vintage 88.7 HPON from Penrith (both in nulls of the normally received Port Stephens FM and Radio Northern Beaches).

Itā€™s actually from Camden, transmitting from Razorback Mountain.

From the opposite end at my home near Campbelltown, Iā€™m getting Newcastle & Middle Brother FM stations loud & clear, as well as a rather faint signal of 101.5 Great Lakes FM from Forster.

1 Like

Yep, thereā€™s enhanced reception of the major Newcastle & Wollongong FM stations in this location of Sydney too. First time Iā€™ve heard NXFMā€¦sorry, Hit 106.9 since the rebrand!

1 Like

First time Iā€™ve seen the Hit106.9 RDS too. 2EC is there on 105.5, so enhancement is running to the south as well.

1 Like

Same hereā€¦

I am getting the following Eden stations

105.5 2EC
106.3 ABC South East

ANDā€¦

I think

104.7 2SEA ā€¦ which I havenā€™t received before.
Still waiting for station ID to confirm, but itā€™s definitely not Hit104.7 and I am not getting Taree strong enough for it to be 2BOB.

Edit: 2SEA confirmed with ID ā€œ104.7 2SEAā€ (pronounced as 'Two Ess EE Aye")

At my home location, 105.5 is ABC Classic FM from Coonabarabran, connecting with the rotatable antenna aiming south (ie. the correct direction for 105.5 2EC from Eden). Iā€™m not in a good location to get anything from south of Knights Hill.

1 Like

Thatā€™s interestingā€¦

I wonder how they go being only 400 khz from 88.3 WSFM which also transmits from the same mountain range (though possibly a different site)?

As well as getting the major Newcastle stations in very good stereo quality (and some RDS on the SCA stations), Iā€™m also receiving 2NUR-FM!

The signal on 103.7 isnā€™t as good as the ABC/commercial stations of course, but it was good enough of a signal to clearly hear ā€œ2NUR-FM 103.7ā€ at the end of a promo. Both that and I checked the online streaming (currently on air is a Samoan program), of course! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hereā€™s the details of 88.7 Vintage FMā€™s Camden TX from ACMAā€™s RADCOM: http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/assignment_search.lookup?pEFL_ID=645257

BTW, Vintage FM transmits from a different site to that of 88.3 WSFM.

1 Like