AM and FM DX

The reception can be very patchy of 1422, in Wellington south east of Geelong, it’s just noise.

Meanwhile coming into Werribee, its very good.

2 Likes

Certainly not alone there :wink:

2 Likes

Possibly, although it’s probably unlikely. I can’t really recall whether the station was broadcasting in Greek or not, however the reception was very faint. I will try to receive the station sometime tomorrow.

1431 Radio National (Windang - Wollongong)
1485 - 2EA / SBS (Windang - Wollongong)

1422 3XY “Radio Hellas” thumps into Sydney at night, but 1700 is a little too early for nocturnal skywave at this time of year. In winter, however, I can sometimes hear it from mid-afternoon.

1 Like

Why Windang?

I imagine it helps the signal to penetrate in and up around the escarpment better - towards northern suburbs like Woonona and Austinmer.

2WL used to be receivable here in Newcastle better than even the Sydney commercial AM stations.

1 Like

That’s the location of the transmitters.

603 - Radio National is at Nowra

1 Like

Victorian FMs making an appearance in Brisbane again

1 Like

There’s a bit of activity around tonight.

I have i98 Wollongong coming in strong enough to overcome the semi local News Radio Gosford here at Charlestown (south of Newcastle),

And a bit of ABC South Coast 103.5.

Very strong signal from near north of Brisbane tonight. Unid station on 95.8, a community station playing community radio Aus overnight plus BBC news. Could be anywhere to the north as even low power stations like 20w Kix Bundaberg and 50w stations at Miriam Vale are coming in as far north as SEA FM Mackay.

Some localised enhancement around SEQ tonight, or earlier there was at least. I had Zinc 96 (with full RDS) coming in as far south as Nerang and Helensvale, right over the top of JJJ Lismore which is normally local strength there.

Managed also on the drive home to secure RDS reception of 104.9 Sunshine FM (nice work there @radioengineer by the way), Hot FM Toowoomba and The Range Toowoomba on 91.5 (a first time RDS pickup at least for me)

1 Like

They have RDS on The Range 91.5?

First I’ve heard of a HPON using it.

Though RAW FM uses it in Canberra as a LPON.

Yep, says ‘TheRange’ as the station name, and the program type is listed as ‘Pop Music’ which is incredibly misleading for a country music station (which is and never should be in any way popular)

1 Like

Popular to them and their listeners I suppose!

There could be some righteous tropo in SEQ with the heatwave over the next couple of days. I’m seeing telltale signs of tropo echoes on the Townsville and Cairns weather radars- this isn’t common for up there. Keep an ear on the New Caledonia frequencies as well, principally 89.0 and 90.0.

I’ve spent a good part of the night setting up RTL SDR and trying to get around the apparent quirks of my USB stick but here’s a full listing of what I’ve picked up. Hope to get more when tropo occurs.

This is through a TV antenna I’ll pick up an indoor solution tomorrow to see if makes any difference.

87.6 Voice Of Islam
87.8 Radio Austral? (Very faint)
88.1 2RDJ
88.5 2RRR
89.7 East Side FM
90.1 2NBC
90.5 ALIVE905 (RDS)
90.9 ABC NewsRadio Illawarra
91.3 C91.3? (Faint)
92.1 2MFM
92.9 ABC Classic FM (RDS)
93.7 Koori Radio
94.5 FBi
95.3 Smoothfm (RDS)
95.7 ABC Classic FM Illawarra
96.1 The EDGE (RDS)
96.9 Nova 969 (RDS)
97.3 ABC Illawarra
97.7 SBS Radio (RDS)
98.5 2000FM
98.9 Triple J Illawarra
99.1 WSFM (Richmond repeater)
99.5 Move FM? (not confirmed)
99.9 SWR FM (RDS)
100.3 2MCR
100.5 2RPH
101.1 2LT
101.3 Sea FM
101.7 WSFM (RDS)
102.5 Fine Music
103.2 Hope1032 (RDS)
104.1 2DayFM (RDS)
104.5 Star FM
104.9 Triple M (RDS)
105.7 Triple J (RDS)
106.5 KIIS1065 (RDS)
107.3 2SER
107.7 2GO

Good list!

Whereabouts in Sydney are you?

99.5 would be the Move FM repeater from Katoomba.
Hell, I can even get that up here near Newcastle (along with 2LT on 101.1).
It gets out very well for what is supposed to be a 40 watt station in our direction.
I can get it clearer than the main Move signal on 107.9 from Lithgow.

In between Parramatta and Blacktown.

Rockhampton stations (Hot FM, ABCs) strong into Brisbane this morning. Also Mackay 98.7 Sea FM plus ABC 97.9 and 104.3.

1 Like