AM and FM DX

That’s awesome with the RDS reception - well done. I sat there on a few frequencies for a while not sure if there was RDS but didn’t see anything.

It was a pretty solid opening though - in a way further aided by the fact that nothing much else was around to interfere with it. Definitely my best PNG reception yet.

3 Likes

This is a heads up for @dxnerd, I had 88.9 Braidwood fm on the car radio heading south along the highway near Mt Gray Goulburn. It came in quite well at this location.

I’ve only found 3 stations with RDS so far. Yes the reception was very strong so I think any others would have been detected.

The other two to look out for are Yumi 93.1 and NAU 96.3

image image

1 Like

Very strong Radio Blue Mountains 89.1 reception this morning.
Enabled reception of ABC Portland, NSW outlets 92.5 & 94.1, usually masked by other
semi-locals.
Actually had reception of three stations on each outlet with antenna rotation, time & usage of co-channel canceller over period of 10mins.

1 Like

That’s regular reception. In fact, it’s clearer in Marulan than in Bungendore. Mt Gillamatong favours the north.

Regarding three stations on 92.5 and 94.1 in Sydney, I could do this regularly. Portland was permanent into Oatley.

2 Likes

Got 91.7 and 93.9 Tamworth here in Moss Vale.
Also got 97.9 Coffs Harbour, 98.7 Kandos/Rylstone and 99.7 Ulladulla.

3 Likes

New Cal again this afternoon.

2 Likes

Both the Canberra and Bairnsdale radars are showing some decent tropo returns off the South Coast and in Bass Strait, respectively.

Given it’s a reasonably classic summer heatwave, intense coastal tropo and perhaps NZ tropo could be on the cards for some. A minor cool change due Tuesday night could scupper it though, but it is likely to enhance Bass Strait ducting.

Es has been quiet today in NSW from all reports.

1 Like

Getting 105.3 New FM tonight at a reasonable level, also 100.5 2RPH and weak 2NUR. Taree 97.1 and 98.7 at fair strength.

New FM seems to be stronger than KO and NX down here, for some strange reason.

3 Likes

I’m currently holidaying in Huskisson, and there has been some tropo about from further down the South Coast, such as receiving 105.5 2EC & the new Power FM translator on 103.9 from Eden.

Also, Braidwood FM is coming through quite well in Huskisson. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for confirming the Eden translator for Power FM is on air. I haven’t been to the South Coast in a little while (generally avoid in January).

Braidwood FM is quite strong in Huskisson, even in flat winter conditions. Doesn’t quite make it to Nowra though but you can get it from Mount Pleasant.

With Skid Row hitting the skids, you may get Braidwood FM from places like Bald Hill (Stanwell Tops).

I’m also getting B-Rock from Bathurst over faint ABC Classic from Brown Mountain! :open_mouth:

Unsurprisingly, I’m also receiving 95.1 2BS from there.

2 Likes

Getting Sky Racing Armidale on 104.3 - rest of Armidale stations are on local frequencies.

1 Like

so why would Eden even need translators for 810, 765 & 102.5 given its only 43km air distance or so from Bega?? I find it hard to believe that 810khz at 10kW would be so weak at 40km a translator would be needed…doesn’t make sense. Same for 102.5

1 Like

I was up traveling near Rylstone, NSW over the weekend and a couple of notable stations I found were:

93.1 & 97.9 Real FM, It was a first to listen to them properly as they do not stream.
When listening they seemed to be fully networked all day with a 80s to now format and the only local bits where the ad breaks, even the news was generic with no Real FM banded news intro just a 80s to now jingle.

99.4 ABC (Unsure which one) and 101.2 ABC RN, both on even frequencies which is different.
I will note that I cannot locate where these stations would be for as they are not listed on the ABC frequency guide.

And I noted that the local ABC Local Radio outlet on 96.3 was very faint with no active processing and most of the other RN outlets all had poor audio processing with very pronounced Ss.

2 Likes

Getting Coffs Harbour ABCs tonight, though not very strong.

Wollongong commercial and ABC stations are very strong.

Weak South Coast ABCs from Mt Wanders too, as well as 91.7 2ST and 92.7 2BAB.

So it’s all very coastal, but covers a decent stretch of the coast.

Edit; Just getting Canberra ABCs now too, but again pretty weak.

Just Newcastle in tonight including 103.7 2NUR in a null of Nowra.
Strong Brown Mountain ABCs on 89.7, 99.3, 100.1, 100.9 as well.

2 Likes

Was on the coast early this evening & picking up 98.1 & 96.5 with the smartphone’s
inbuilt FM radio with RDS. VOX was there with RDS too. This didn’t seam normal.
Further inland at home Knights Hill stations stronger than normal, but 94.1, 105.3 & 106.9 VOX weak.

Looking at Hepburn Tropo maps the ducting should move further inland tonight, might be some catches to be had in the early hours tomorrow.

1 Like

If you provide rough coordinates from Google Earth where you were receiving these stations we might be able to ‘guess’ where these stations ‘might’ have originated.
Can plot elevation terrain for possible line of sight reception with Google Earth.
Kandos has 96.3 2ABCRR & 100.3 2ABCRN ‘listed’.

There’s a couple of mine sites NNE of Mudgee.

I’m wondering if they are spurs from somewhere.

Unusual to get ABC stations on an “even numbered” frequency.