AM and FM DX

So, does that Digitech Receiver show to station Callsign or do you play it by just general surroundings and Google?

2 Likes

thanks. The R-8600 is better in performance than its predecessors. Its WFM filter is sharper providing better selectivity than older ICOMs.

3 Likes

It does have RDS, but for the AM stations I use the ACMA listings along with the branding that the stations use on the air.

4 Likes

That’s a great list you got there, especially the AM’s for that time of day, very surprised you got ABC News Radio Newcastle on 1458, that doesn’t get to the North Eastern suburbs of Lake Macquarie very well, let alone nearing Coffs Harbour.

Also funny how all the AM stations want to convert to FM, but compare the distances of AM & FM.
The AM’s go Sydney to Brisbane & beyond, the FM’s are local, semi-local of not that great a distance.

If they all went DAB+, you could drop probably half off the FM list, & narrow the coverage to local at best.

6 Likes

On the plus side, if AM stations to move to FM, the clear frequencies will be a bonus on the DX side. I’ve generally found in the cooler months, AM DX during the day is much better.

4 Likes

Wow. NZ stations in the middle of the day. Remarkable!

4 Likes

yeah - congrats on receiving NZ during the daytime

2 Likes

Presumably driven by operating costs of AM vs FM, but yes, could impact on revenue if there is less coverage.

2 Likes

DAB+ would probably see a market like Coffs co-channeled with Brisbane/SEQ, so even those FM gains like 96.5 and 94.9 would probably be impossible (side note but it is impressive how far out River 949 gets to the south)

That NZ during the daytime is fantastic, as is that list of AM stations overall - well done @Mechsta! Makes me wish I lived by the coast

4 Likes

Yes, when traveling to QLD along the Pacific Hwy, River 94.9 is usually the first QLD FM station to be received (at around Woodburn), though not very strong.

2 Likes

Will have to see if I can hear NZ during the day from the South Coast once this lockdown is lifted in June. I did faintly hear 567 Wellington from Green Cape (near Eden) in August; June would be better since it’s the month of the winter solstice.

3 Likes

Often on the Grafton bridge and high spots at South Grafton, also many streets of Grafton itself, usually where there’s legacy band three tv aerials pointing to Brisbane, good gap through the border ranges from either The Knobby or Mt Coot-tha.

3 Likes

Different log in Renmark today. 96.5 Flow FM Pinnaroo/Lameroo

3 Likes

Often the closest ‘catches’ are the hardest to receive. Well done then @Shaun1997

2 Likes

How can you tell between the logs?

1 Like

heard a station running a tone this morning on 855khz. A new station perhaps? Was strong & dominant over the ABCs + 3CR.

Also noted Gosford 801khz off air - 5RM received clear on my car radio

The 2XL tower on Polo Flat Rd has been demolished - gone!

3 Likes

I noticed 801 Gosford was off air yesterday, don’t know why or how long it’s been like that? There was a power outage around the site a week or so ago, I never bothered checking to see if was or has been off air since then, until yesterday.

Shame about the 2XL mast, another bit of radio history gone, I never got why they pushed to go FM, they only replaced the AM 918kHz transmitter 3-4 years ago at most, which wouldn’t have been cheap, & likewise for 2GN which is on the cards to do the same.

3 Likes

The land was sold to Snowy Hydro to build a concrete processing plant - hence why the tower & TXer had to go. That’s why the AM - FM conversion was fast tracked.

6 Likes

Given the current economic climate, if building hasn’t yet begun & parts already bought, I wonder if the 2GN conversion will be put off for 12-24 month or indefinitely. I can’t see any networks doing anything unessential, & 2GN being on FM isn’t what I’d call essential.

5 Likes

same for the 2EC conversion. Nothing heard in relation to that.

4 Likes