AM and FM DX

Same down near Campbelltown, with all Newcastle FMers + 97.5 2HD + Middle Brother ABCs coming in loud & clear. I also got the Canberra FM stations, but they’re not coming in as clearly.

1 Like

That’s good!

How do you go with 2NUR and Rhema 99.7 out Campbelltown way during tropo?

I can get both of them quite well, with the latter not having any hint of 2SSR Sutherland, which broadcasts on the same frequency.

Thanks!

Speaking of Campbelltown, tonight is probably the best ever C91.3 reception I have picked up yet… peaking at 39db on the Teccy.

2MCR isn’t far behind at 36db.

Also getting particularly good signals from the Mountains

• The Edge at 40db
  • 2VTR Hawkesbury 89.9 at 30db
  • 2BLU 89.1 and 2ICE 99.5 both at 28db
  • 2LT 101.1 at 23db

In this location I’m receiving the Newcastle commercial stations again, as usual KOFM has the strongest reception followed by NXFM and then New FM which can be a struggle at times. JJJ 102.1 and Classic FM are sounding almost like a local station at times (in different positions).

Signals of Gosford community stations are also being enhanced, and even 92.5 ABC Central Coast is coming in when it usually wouldn’t.

Earlier this evening, signals of JJJ 96.3, Radio National 97.1 and Classic FM 98.7 from the Mid North Coast were also detected but they’re gone now.

I am getting some good tropo reception tonight in Stanhope Gardens too on the Yamaha AV amp with external fm Omni antenna.

Nothing from Canberra and Eagle Fm is just above the static which is normal anyway. Brock received in stereo as in non tropo.
All Newcastle fm received in stereo with KO decoding RDS.
All Middle Brother received except for Triple J as 2CCC is dominating the frequency.

First time catch 102.3 Star Fm Port Macquarie.

All other signals Lithgow / Orange / Illawarra / Wollobgong are at non troppo strengths.

I got Goulburn quite well earlier this evening too.

Even 89.5 Classic FM was in stereo.
Tried for 88.7 JJJ but couldn’t null out Radio Northern Beaches.

On the car radio in southern Sydney, I got ABC Radio National from Upper Naomi on top of semi-local station WOW-FM 100.7. Similarly, ABC Radio National from Grafton/Kempsey was coming in on top of Kiss FM Katoomba on 99.5. Also had tropo coming in from the south, including the Sky Racing HPON from Goulburn on 94.3.

Fired up the teccy late this arvo from a North facing spot at the south end of Collaroy beach with the tropo just starting up. Usual North coast catches were there but there highlights were;
JJJ Mt Nardi on 96.1 in a null of 2ONE The Edge. Confirmed parallel to 105.7.
Max FM Taree easily gazumping 2SER with a stereo 25db sig.
2CS Coffs very weak but ID heard. Mt Moombil nationals were stereo around 20db

Nice to see some tropo after another lack of Es season so far.

After the DX TV today, no surprise that there was plenty of tropo into Brisbane today and tonight. Rockhampton was the strongest with Hot FM with RDS but more interesting were some of the lower power stuff like Yeppoon, Gladstone, Miriam Vale and Rebel FM at Banana :slightly_smiling:

That’s a great effort to get Lismore that far south!

Had some FNQ reception last night. 4TO FM on 102.3 was the best due to it being a clear channel in Brisbane. Most of the Townsville frequencies, however, were blocked by Rockhampton stations. 4TO was in stereo but not clear.

Having some FNQ reception right now in Sydney (1,675 km). 4TO FM fading in and out on 102.3 MHz (sporadic E?), but heard the ID clearly as well as commercials for Townsville businesses. When 4TO fades out, it’s alternating between 2ABCFM from Canberra (230 km) and the Triple J transmitter for the Central Western Slopes (350 km).

That’s a great catch!

Some tropo about tonight.

I managed to get VOX Wollongong again (in a null of NX) with a reading of 24 / 10 on the Teccy… Obviously the ‘noise’ from NX stopped me from getting a stereo signal.

I also got NEW FM as low as 22 / 04 (so it was in mono) but couldn’t detect Hot Country 105.3 at all, which leads me to think that VOX has a much better signal northwards than Hot Country. Not sure if any of our Sydney posters have any observations here?

Also got a low reading on KO, but again no hint of 2ST at all, kind of surprising given I could get Highland FM 107.1, but not all that great.

In this location, reception of the Central Coast community stations seems to be considerably bit better than usual with mostly clear stereo audio. Also spotted during a quick check was a noisy signal of 92.5 ABC Central Coast. No NewsRadio on 98.1 for obvious reasons.

And of course I managed to pick up 2ST on 102.9 and Highland FM 107.1 but those stations probably aren’t difficult to receive in many parts of Sydney, even in normal conditions to a certain extent (I think).

All in all, nothing particularly exciting this time around but maybe I should’ve checked earlier…

At my home location near Campbelltown, I don’t get VOX that well in normal conditions, which allow NX to come through easily during tropo. Obviously, getting KO over 2ST is harder, as I get the latter very well most of the time, in fact better than Wave/i98.

I checked my DX radio between 7:30 & 8pm this evening, but nothing noteworthy was received, eg. I get nothing from Newcastle on 105.3 (NEW) & 103.7 (2NUR).

1 Like

Hot Country is definitely much weaker here in southern Sydney than Vox. I’d say Hot Country is the weakest of all the Wollongong stations I can get. It barely scrapes through.

Thanks for that re Hot Country vs VOX.

That’s odd, as I’ve noticed nearly every time I get some good tropo from down south, you guys are usually getting something good from up this way.
Though I didn’t check my radio until just after 10pm (I was out earlier).

It would also be unusual for tropo to start up that late in the evening.

Surprising this thread has been quiet for 12 days. Why so?

Is it due to not all of the contributors coming across to the new forum set up?