AM and FM DX

Definitely not permanent…

2 Likes

When I was living in the NE suburbs of Adelaide the Spencer Gulf North ABC FM’s came in perceptibly on most mornings, tending to boom in on the slightest tropo event. Newsradio from Renmark (93.9) was also quite regular.

The AM reception in Adelaide is great if you like variety and dxing (and yes Victor Harbor is particularly amazing for both AM and FM too). I often used to listen to ABC Victoria from Horsham during the day driving to uni and back rather than the local 891!

2 Likes

Some almost winter tropo here at my location from the south. Wollongong signals very strong with Power fm overpowering Rhema CC at one stage.

UHF tv reception from Knights Hit strength equal to Sydney on the signal meters on the Sony tv, 100 signal 100 quality 31c/n.
Normally signal strength is 96-98 / quality 100 c/n 26-28.

No other enhancements.

2 Likes

Doing a road trip around Western/Southern NSW.

First stop is Dubbo. Some observations on the way over (via Golden Hwy)

• Bulga Mine stations near Singleton are now on air. There’s Power FM 89.3 2HVR 90.1 and JJJ 90.9. Coverage is very limited, 5 kms past it and they’re gone completely.

• 2NM 93.3 from Glenden mine totally unlistenable, AM buzz swamps it.

• Power 102.7 Merriwa has RDS

• SBS 104.3 Merriwa no longer on air at all. Thus Radio National from Orange was receivable.

• 2TRR 95.3 from Coolah gets out well. Started to receive it at Jerrys Plains and could still get it psst Dunedoo.

Here in Dubbo, could get 2LVR 97.9 Valley FM from Parkes in the car park at Orana Mall. Hadn’t received that here at all before.

Will post some RDS shots in that thread when it allows me too! :frowning: (too many posts!).

3 Likes

Now in Orange, it’s a place that gets a lot of signals (due partly to elevation).

On the car radio this afternoon in Orange, I got the following stations of note

• South West Slopes ABCs (88.3 Classic, 89.1 RN, 89.9 ABC Local and 90.7 JJJ. 91.5 News was not received as that was stil Binjang community radio from Wellington).

• Faint Sydney signals (92.9 Classic, 95.3 Smooth, Nova 96.9, SBS 97.7, WS 101.7, 2DAY 104.1, 2MMM 104.9, JJJ 105.7 and KIIS 106.5).

• Very faint Wollongong ABCs (90.9 News and 95.7 Classic, but couldn’t detect 98.9 JJJ, somewhat surprisingly since JJJ is the one that is best received at home in Newcastle for me).

• Central West Slopes ABCs still receivable here, fair strength but not what you call “good”.

Other notables

• SBS 91.1 Bathurst (which is actually ON AIR! (unlike the audible buzz I got in Dubbo and the dead air here in Orange, both of which are on 100.5).

• 2BS on 89.3 and 90.1 received (95.1 was there too as was to be expected).

• Weak 93.9 ROCCY FM Young.

North of Orange in car this morning, also had Triple J Canberra 101.5.

One final note, ZOO FM Wellington 89.5 relay is now on air. Don’t think it’s really needed though, as 92.7 sounded perfect (full stereo) in the car.

4 Likes

Where in Orange did you receive these signals?
I tried Dxing at the lookout on Mount Canobolas but there was too much RF interference to get anything other then Dubbo Fm and Bathurst fm.
Sydney fm was not possible.

3 Likes

Just in the car park of the local Bunnings! (north side of Orange).

Ducked in there for a sausage sandwich!

4 Likes

A little off topic, whilst my little one sleeping in car park, I fiddled with my radio today (you saw my post), whilst the rest went shopping. The battery of the car went flat. Had to call roadside servuce sigh. Ahhh modern cars so many lcd displays. In the good old days you could play with the radio all night with barely an impact to the battery.

2 Likes

Oh no! How long were you using it for?

The one in my car goes into “night mode” (black background) when the engine is off presumably to conserve battery.

RNZ National on 567 khz coming in loud and clear into Melbourne tonight.

2 Likes

About 40 mins. But had door open so the internal light on. It does warn you to turn off (every time the engine is not running), my fault but for a good cause so I could post on mediaspy forum :smile:

1 Like

Given tablet screens can run for about 7 hours, it may have been the interior light that did it, and maybe your car battery is on the way out?

1 Like

Some Crookwell notes

• 2JJJ 91.7 not on air.

• Eagle FM 103.7 on air with RDS (could also hear it on 101.3 with RDS, but could be mixing with 2GN?).

• ABC Local Radio 106.9 has poor coverage, RN on 107.7 not much better. From memory I think they are only 2 watts?

Can also get reasonable reception of Canberra, Orange and Bathurst stations, South West Slopes ABCs also received too.

2 Likes

Is Sydney fm Possible in Crookwell?

1 Like

Yes, but very faint, not really listenable.

Its better here in Goulburn.

2 Likes

Knowing the Mt Gray embarrassment, it came as no surprise in 2017 to discover the same fundamental error exists for the Goulburn translators in Crookwell. The lack of pride in engineering at Radio Goulburn, JV of Kevin Blyton and the Camerons remains.

Yes, amazing what makes its way into Crookwell, the 5kW ERP from Canobolas has great coverage.

Parts of town at or above the 900m contour can receive Canberra DAB+ at the lower trial signal level. It’s also where the Sydney reception is at its best but still not flash.

The SW Slopes signal reminds me, west of Crookwell in Boorowa, there are homes with three TV aerials, to Canobolas, Black Mtn and Ulandra. A rare feat in pre aggregation Australia for three different commercial TV signals.

4 Likes

Eagle FM’s mixing is quite bad, I knew it was bad, but nothing quite like this… Get this

At the War Memorial Lookout in Goulburn, I heard Eagle with RDS on

(two of them mixing with 2GCR so it seems).

That must be a record.

3 Likes

Yeah the Kia roadside service said battery is ok… Otherwise they would of replaced on the spot for free. It was the interior light.

2 Likes

Down in Albury now.

Did a quick DX at Gundagai on the way - at the Rotary Lookout on the south side of town. Did try Mt Parnussus, but too much mixing from 2TVR 94.3, 2AAA 99.1 and 2WG 100.7 (2TVR I think was the main offender).

Best results

Triple M 95.3 ^ and Hit96.9 Shepparton
ABCs Goulburn Valley 96.1 and 97.7
ABCs Murrumbidgee 96.5, 97.3, 98.1, 98.9 and 100.5
Hit 99.7 Griffith
The Edge 102.5 Denilquin ^
ABC Classic FM 103.7 Swan Hill

^ with RDS

2 Likes

My favourite there too.

If conditions right (usu there in summer or spring), often received Canberra and Goulburn FM + Black Mtn DAB+ at very low levels (this was on the old CRA trial TX).

AM is great too, 2CA AM 1053 seems to boom over from the west, have written of great daytime coverage in low noise environment almost as far as Temora and Coolamon.

Heading west beyond Wagga, the daytime ground wave of 5RM AM 801 is great.

@Radiohead, great to receive Edge Deni, often it’s the last to receive from the high points.

2 Likes