AM and FM DX

The coverage from Kandos is amazing in local reception. Great for DX’ing.

The RDS boys will want to know if you received any metadata for 2BS?

Hill FM 96.5 Broken Hill this morning in Renmark. Signal was dominated by static but you could catch most words, caught ‘Broken Hill’ in a sentence

3 Likes

It’s on a 1000 m rock high over Kandos town, giving a great LOS in all directions. As I said just recently, it’s about the only local community station that is better on horizontal polarisation. I find it hard to hear on the car radio in Sydney except when tropo is very good.

2 Likes

I’ve only received 2KRR here in Newcastle once.

1 Like

and as a kid living in Shepparton I was able to receive what used to be 3CCC transmitting from Mt Alexander on my mum and dad’s stereo hooked up to an outside antenna. Similar distance.

3 Likes

I can’t find it on there. The Facebook group is “Dx enthusiasts Australia” @Alex_Agaciak is the creator/admin of it.

2 Likes

Hill FM 96.5 Broken Hill on my Mum’s car radio in Renmark S.A in the afternoon which is unusual, signal was dominated by static but you could hear most of the words, picked it up in Monash as well. There was another station I picked up in Monash (88.9FM Adelaide Hills) faded in and out but was listenable at times, signal was pretty weak back home in Renmark

1 Like

Thanks for posting your tropo DX observations. Gives us an interesting insight into FM DX over there

1 Like

I went to Mildura yesterday on a day trip going the backway to test out Northern Mallee Flow Fm on 95.3 which I could pick up the majority of the way but dropped out about 50km out on both sides. Surprising that 95.3 is only a couple of years old yet it does not seem to have RDS enabled

I have never tried for Broken Hill I might try that next time I head to Mildura

2 Likes

Hill FM 96.5 Broken Hill is crystal clear this morning with no static, thought the signal would be dead as it’s cloudy this morning in Renmark

2 Likes

Any Swan Hill reception in Mildura?

1 Like

I am in Adelaide for the next 6 days, and will provide some reports on radio from these parts.

Tonight, I am at my east facing 11th floor apartment in Glenelg, with a perfect line of sight to the CBD and Mt Lofty.

Some notes

5PBA Salisbury and 5CST Noarlunga suburban community stations are fairly strong here, though 5WOW Port Adelaide is very weak. 5MBS despite being specced for 2.5kw omnidirectional from the CBD isn’t as strong as I thought it would be probably only on par with 5PBA and 5CST.

Power FM Murray Bridge is very weak, 100.3 is slightly better than 98.7. 99.7 relay from Victor Harbour is non existent.

Nova 91.9 is the strongest of the Mt Lofty signals, being the only station to hit 60db on the Teccy.

No DX from Spencer Gulf, Riverland or South East.

5 Likes

However daytime AM signal from Port Pirie ABC and commercial, Port Lincoln and Riverland are fantastic. The wide streets of the Adelaide CBD and many other suburbs provide good reception of 765, 639 and 801.

It’s at a lower elevation than the fault line. Once you reach the top at Willunga, the trend is down towards Victor Harbour.

As for 5MBS, I recall a photo from a long ago of equipment installed from a fundraising/benefactor and it appeared the array was pointing towards the Hills ie. away from the city centre

2 Likes

Some good reception today in Adelaide (don’t know if these are permanent here or not in not being a local)

Magic FM 89.9 Port Lincoln
Magic FM 105.9 Spencer Gulf
Magic FM 93.1 Renmark (the last two only receivable from north side of Adelaide).
Spencer Gulf ABCs

And from Menglers Hill Lookout near Nurioopta
Trax FM 105.1 Port Pirie
Flow FM 107.5 Mid North (Hawker)
Flow FM 106.9 Wudinna (weak)

The AM signals get across the gulfs pretty well during the daytime. Heard:

5CC 765 Port Lincoln
5LN 1485 Port Lincoln
5SY 693 Streaky Bay

Broken Hill 567 2BH and 999 2NB were also received, along with 3WV 594 Horsham.

2 Likes

Earlier tonight, I tried a bit of AM DXing on the car radio at West Beach, specifically trying for WA stations.

Had some success

558 - 6WA Wagin - had a presenter talking about Farm Help so knew it wasn’t 4GY. And no more 7BU to worry about

747 - 6SE Esperance - IDd as Triple M

1098 - 6MD Merredin - had Australia By Night program on.

Couldn’t really get anything else, though whilst trying for 783 6VA Albany, that appeared to be 8AL Alice Springs, as it wasn’t the same content as 747,

So a couple of firsts for me in getting WA and NT stations from interstate - even if it is from SA and not home in NSW :slight_smile:

2 Likes

wow thanks for the report. Some interesting catches there. Can’t get 6MD here due to east coast signals. 6VA must skip over where you are & into my area. Keep an ear on 900khz for 8HA. Not possible here due to 2LT/2LM

2 Likes

The Brown Mt ABC TXers were off for maintenance this morning. Noted B-Rock FM 99.3 clear on the car radio on the way to work. Comes in well atop Glenfurgus Hill 1/2 way between Cooma & Numy. On the way home, the Central West’s Triple M (105.1) was coming in clear.

1 Like

Too much splatter from 891 ABC Adelaide.
Would have been good to hear though.

Was down at Victor Harbour today. Some great catches there!
These were all around 11am-12pm

Flow FMs (99.1 Keith, 100.3 Bordertown with RDS —)
5TCB 104.5 Keith and 106.1 Bordertown
Hit 96.1 Mt Gambier with RDS —
Lime FM 104.9 Mt Gambier
MIXX 101.3 Horsham
All Mt Gambier ABCs
All Western Victoria ABCs (Triple J was weak and barely audible though).

— see RDS thread

And over on AM

963 (5SE) Triple M Mt Gambier
1476 5MG ABC Mt Gambier (weak)
1089 3WM Horsham
621 RN & 774 ABC Melbourne
1467 The River Mildura
1332 3SH Swan Hill (weak)
576 RN & 702 ABC Sydney (very weak - I didn’t think these would be possible near the middle of the day, but there was something there and didn’t seem to be splatter from anything else)

1 Like

Hoping this post might be of interest to the group.

We recently stayed@ Kings Canyon Resort, NT.
There’s a woefull sounding FM transmitter on air from there on 89.0MHz relaying Triple J.

ACMA lists 89.1 as 8ABCRR, but it is in fact Triple J on 89.0.
That’s the only FM service on air from the resort or nearby.

I can also report that 96.3FM 8ABCRR Mereenie, NT isn’t on air.

7 Likes

Went for a drive around Adelaide today.

The only spot I noticed any issues with the Mt Lofty signals were in the very south eastern suburbs (Glenunga and Glen Osmond).

Though there are a few suburbs east of Glenunga that would be impacted too as the signals would fly over the top of them (being too close to the foothills).

3 Likes