AM and FM DX

Finally a little FM tropo dx.
2DBO 93.5 & 92.7 2ZOO making it into Sydney this morning.

3 Likes

Another quiet time for MW. Only heard these two

1386 UNID from Asia (Over Auckland NZ) - https://youtu.be/kFXK3WQTPaw
567 nice ID from 2BH Broken Hill - https://youtu.be/xooWPb7tUV0

BTW - My logging of 810 turned out to be National Radio Dunedin NZ.

Was getting Magic 89.9 Port Lincoln last night out of Corny Point, signal was only weak but it was strong this morning. There was a weak signal on Magic 93.1 Riverland last night too and was a strong signal on that bandwidth this morning

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, the fluctuating signal levels are due to a change in the weather.

Some unknown station is doubling over 531 3GG. I’m not sure what else it could be, it sounds Spanish to me.

Radio Italiana in Adelaide perhaps.

3 Likes

I’m currently on the Virgin Hobart to Perth flight (writing using the free in-flight wifi), and have done some FM dxing while on the plane. Most Hobart stations were able to be received off of the West Coast of Tassie. Over the ocean starting not far from Tasmania, I was able to pick up many Adelaide stations with RDS (including Mix 102.3, Hit 107 and Life 107.9, as well as stations from other areas, such as Flow FM 107.3 and Magic 89.9), while still around 500km off of the coast of Mainland Australia!

4 Likes

3AW 693 Transmitter going off air for Maitenance, A Rare Opportunity for Melburnians to Recieve 4KQ from Brisbane coming up.

3 Likes

DXing on a plane is great fun! I’ve had Melbourne DAB flying over Mildura en route to Perth back in 2010. Also had 89.9 ABC Riverina to the east of Tamworth once in a plane. Central Coast FM stations can be heard all the way to Griffith too.

2 Likes

Guessing this was last night. Damn!

1 Like

Joy 94.9 comes up on my Radio screen as “Pop_M” that’s a weird name.

On my early Easter holiday at Forster and was parked in the car park overlooking Forster beach, excellent LOS to the north, so checked the Tucson car radio for what was receivable.

Middle Brother Nationals are the local stations so not really worth a mention.

Hit Port Macquarie and Kempsey both receivable. Hit Port Macquarie is quite good around town on the car radio.

Max fm was strong, but around Forster can very from strong to weak. Quite surprising considering Forster is in the Taree licence area.

Coffs Harbour / Grafton Nationals and even Northern River Nationals from Mt Nardi were also received at low strength. With intense tropo Gold Coast Fm reception could even be a possibility here.

Newcastle Fm is receivable, and in some places Sydney fm and Wollongong fm could also be received.

4 Likes

I recall someone posted that DAB Sydney could be received in elevated parts of Forster last summer.
Probably less likely over Easter though.
Cape Hawke Lookout (5kms south of town) would definitely be worth a try.

1 Like

Mount Nardi signals have now been replaced by by the Sydney stations.
Illawarra National fm’s now coming into Forster.

98.1 is a mix of Power fm and i98.
Yes I know about Cape Hawke it has a great LOS to the south. Newcastle Fm is very good here, and Sydney fm is also receivable her too.
Re Dab+, In Jan 2018 I received Sydney Dab+ in Port Stephens during intense tropo. So Cape Hawke maybe possible.

3 Likes

Hit99.5 Mildura and Triple M 97.9 Mildura this morning just out of Renmark, both crystal clear

2 Likes

Last dx report from Forster as about to drive back to Sydney.

Southerly signals in this morning with the following Sydney Fm stations received but weak.

92.1 2MFM
92.9 ABC Classic fm
95.3 Smooth
95.7 ABC Classic Fm Illawarra
96.1 The Edge
96.9 Nova
98.5 2000 fm
101.3 Sea Central Coast
101.7 WS
102.5 Fine Music
103.2 Hope
104.1 2day
104.9 Triple M
Triple J and KIIS cannot received due to local stations.

Best catch Triple J Armidale on 101.1.
Newcastle Fm received as normal.
All received on Tucson car radio.

2 Likes

Working a lot better over the past few months after the modulation was set to a good level EG. from 60% to 124%

Just the frequency is been used for on-air ID, the ONE FM name has been dropped as soon as the new manager took over

2kW @ 110% Mod, would be even louder but the TX is a Blyth and it dislikes anything over 115% mod so i keep it below that. 2VM works quite well been such a high frequency

@hatdj lost track how many times I have walked through those doors in the photo you posted hehe

2 Likes

Is that one of those obscure New Zealand made transmitters?

And why was the mod so low on 2BH? Had no one been near the tx for ages?

Yeah that’s them :wink:

To be honest not sure, quite a few TX sites around the network where it is the same… Think it might be to avoid wear and tear on the gear is my only guess

3 Likes

MWDX 19th April

possible jammer on 657khz - https://youtu.be/4hGpV5eL2IM
1080 6IX Perth WA - 3rd time lucky & the best signal yet! - https://youtu.be/QMBtuFSlMB4
1215 6NM Northam - https://youtu.be/K5BYDR2eOU4

Though not uploaded, I also heard 837 Esperance (with time lag from Rockhampton 837) & also 675 from Broome WA.

2 Likes