AM and FM DX

Would the SpE ionisation over Darwin be better received in East Timor, Indonesia or PNG?

Elsewhere yes. Ideally (with single skip) you want the cloud to be mid point between RX & TX.
So that SpE activity location might have benefited dxers in say Alice Springs or Sorong, Indonesia guessing without accurate measurements.
I note some lightning activity east of Darwin. Maybe sprites (from lightning) charging the ionosphere?
Looking at; http://www.sws.bom.gov.au/HF_Systems/1/3 SWS Ionogram Viewer @ 0955UT looked very impressive.

2 Likes

Two stations are broadcasting on 1629khz in Melbourne at the same time right now. One is playing pop music where another is playing Christmas Music.

2 Likes

You should only be receiving ACR 1629 (Chinese language & songs usually) in Melbourne.
Maybe you have spurious signal overload in receiver?
Maybe worth investigating further… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beginnings of enhanced Newcastle/Sydney reception happening now.

3 Likes

An assumed pirate was broadcasting on 1629 with what identifies as “Radio Nostalgia”. I did some research and Radio Nostalgia (JLS Media Group?) Seem to currently hold the licence to broadcast on that frequency.

1 Like

You could try to do some directing finding from two or more locations with a loop antenna to try & track down ‘Radio Nostalgia’ location with help of Google Earth etc. JLS Media Group (many names) is the licence owner of the Williamstown licence that is leased by ACR 1629. To the best of my knowledge JLS Media Group only leases radio licences, without actually operating any stations themselves.

1 Like

Correct, Joe Satana is the bloke.

2 Likes

I stand corrected.
Looked at Joe’s NEW website.
The online station ID’s as ‘Radio Nostalgia’.
We just need to pinpoint the transmitter location/licence number now.
Nice work DJ_Cazzah :smiley:

2 Likes

Very strong Sydney signals into Charlestown tonight. WS FM hit a high of 55db, which I think might be record for me for that station (but still trails my Sydney record of 60db on Triple M a couple of years ago).

Strong Sydney community stations also with a new RDS catch of 2NBC

Good signals from Wollongong and Jervis Bay regions,with 91.7 2ST with RDS and 92.7 2BAB both received. But Power FM is struggling to break through Rhema, and Pulse likewise against Today’s Country 94.1.

4 Likes

Nice RDS catch with 2NBC.
Pleased my earlier report/prediction materialised.
My earlier reception of 106.9 2XXX now shifted southward resulting in good 2VOX FM reception with RDS.
Wave FM RDS now decoding perfectly.
Nice noise free reception of 106.1 ABC Classic FM Newcastle.

2 Likes

I am able to get kofm oops i mean triple m over 2st Bowral.

3 Likes

It seems like it is a shared frequency because as soon as it turns 12:00pm It broadcasts in Chinese then goes back to Radio Nostalgia at around 3:30pm

1 Like

I’ve dug more into the JLS Media site for Radio Nostalgia and found an Icecast server which leads to the URL for radionostalgia.com.au which seems to be registered to someone named Julius for a company called STUDENT NEWS PTY LTD. Also the JLS site is registered to "Rex Santana-Beswick " who I’m pretty sure is broadcasting from Collingwood.

1 Like

Getting 90.9 7JJJ, 91.7 7NT and 92.5 7PNN into Melbourne’s north west this afternoon.

Also receiving 99.5 3TFM, 100.7 3GLR, 101.5 3ABCFM and 103.9 3GCB from the Latrobe Valley. 3GLR is a noticeable inclusion in place of 3CH Kyneton

4 Likes

All 5 ABC’s from Middle Brother have been receivable in Brisbane for a few hours at low to medium levels. Also received on car radio.

2 Likes

NZ FM DX now happening 1340 AEDST. Mt. TeAroha (Hamilton) 91.4 & 103.4MHz.

I wonder if this might actually be atmospheric ducting propagation given that these are the only stations
being received & are weak & stable & given the power & elevation of these transmissions.
The Hepburn maps suggest this is probable at the moment & for several hours for the northern part of North Island.

3 Likes

I can confirm as I’m also recieving ABC gippsland in place of Highlands FM.

1 Like

755 7BU is coming into Melb extremely strong today

I know Sydney reception is at its best for me when I can receive the very hard to get 2BACR Bankstown (100.9).

Which just happens to be right now!

3 Likes