AM and FM DX

What is non tropo reception like for Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Ipswich, Mt Nardi etc. Do you get much overload from Mt Coot-tha?

2 Likes

Where I am those are all permanent and relatively strong, with signals from the south better than those from the north (so for instance 94.5 here is ABC Lismore not News Sunshine Coast, and 96.1 JJJ not Zinc Gympie). Although @TV.Cynic is east of the city closer to the bay, so Mt Coot-tha would be less of a problem there and you’d have better reception from the north

2 Likes

Pretty much any FM/TV antenna in Brisbane will deliver some reception from Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and Darling Downs plus River 949; relative strength depending on location.

As @ tamago_otoko mentioned, at my location, recpetion is more from the north so that most of the Mt Nardi stations are not available due to co-channels - so I get News Radio 94.5, Coast FM 95.3 (Gympie), Zinc FM on 96.1 while 98.5 is possible with a south facing antenna. With the omni directional 98.5 fights with Classic FM Wide Bay.

This is 91.5 - 92.7 today; however relation strengths vary all the time. Kix FM dominates 92.3 and 4GCR dominate 91.5 (a very crowded frequency)

This is 100.1 - 102.1

1 Like

Aiming for the north in your part of the world certainly makes more sense, with the tropo from the tropics.

On a good to very good day, Townsville and maybe Cairns could be achieved with your new setup?

1 Like

Yes. I have received Port Moresby a couple of times as well with the 4 element Fm antenna facing north (currently facing south).

2 Likes

From the other thread:

They also had 107.5 Classic FM on air at one stage in Jindabyne but this too has been nixed.

1 Like

So what happened to them?? Did the council not maintain the transmitters, or did they shut them down as a cost cutting measure?

As Jindabyne is down in a valley and quite a distance from Brown Mountain, Triple J, and Classic Fm which are transmitted at 90kw in it’s direction are quite weak and not well received. These services are necessary to complement the other national services that are broadcasted from Jinderboine Hill.

2 Likes

It’s possible that the tx went ‘bung’ and they never bothered to fix it because nobody bothered to complain! That’s one way to gauge how many people actually listen to a radio service.

2 Likes

I’m sure people would have complained as Triple J generally has a good following everywhere and Jindabyne isn’t quite Sticksville, particularly in winter.

Just a heads up NEW FM has been on the back-up antenna which is further down the tower for a few weeks while work has been getting done to the tower…
It was swapped back to the main array higher up the tower late Sunday Afternoon.

Also Tuesday it went over to a new FM TX aswell…
So signals should be back to where they once were if not improved slightly.

4 Likes

NEW FM has been much better in the last 18 months since they fixed the issues with spurs appearing in various spots on the dial from 104.5 up to 105.9.

It also improved a bit again in April when they switched on their RDS.

2 Likes

Getting some good DX right now.

Power FM Nowra coming in through Rhema Central Coast with RDS.

Heard a couple of ads for businesses in Batemans Bay and Moruya which I thought was interesting given they have their own Power FM.

2 Likes

Interesting that there was tropo yesterday as the airmass was still quite cool (17C with a seabreeze all afternoon here).

1 Like

There’s still some about this morning too.

Up until recenty, we only knew of one spot on the whole monaro where you could receive Oak-FM 101.3 on a car radio (on a hill near Nimmitabel on the monaro hwy). Today I found a 2nd spot just outside Cooma on Maffra Rd.

“Oak-FM a soft station it ain’t”…

3 Likes

AM stereo tuner on Ebay. One of those Sony ST-JX220A’s with wide band AM stereo

1 Like

Despite the wet weather in Sydney today, and the Hepburn forecast charts showing no enhancements there is some slight ducting occurring at present.
It is favouring Wollongong / Central Coast / Newcastle. But not reaching Middle Bro.
Central Coast Communities really strong with Coast Fm received with RDS and little splatter from the Edge. KO in stereo at times. Faint New Fm, and Hit 106.9 breaking through underneath Vox.
Wollongong tv all 100% signal strength v 96% in normal conditions.

1 Like

91.7 from Mandurah is finally transmitting on air.

The official launch is on 1st October (see https://www.6mm.com.au/info/1116-6mm-is-changing/ )

It comes through all the way to Perth CBD on my car I suspect only in mono (like 97.3). At home 20 km south of Perth it just pulls in stereo on one of the better radios. It will be interesting to see what change in format they will make, I hope not another mix94.5 lookalike.

2 Likes

Can someone explain to me why I am receiving Tasmanian radio from devenport on 900khz up at Wedderburn, Victoria? It identified itself as “7AD”.

At night time, AM radio waves bounce off the ionosphere back down to other parts of the country.

It is common for such signals to be received on the other side of the country.

New Zealand AM radio can also be received at night in the eastern states.

3 Likes