AFL

I’m glad the crows won today. The umpiring was terrible. They should have received a few holding the ball frees late in the game but didn’t.

Thats the last thing I thought I would hear from a Port supporter regardless of the umpiring :joy:

I was hoping the Bulldogs would win but at least we finally got a win and rid of the Owen jokes

1 Like

lol @ eagles

how good is footy tho

The Flagmantle22 lid is off

2 Likes

I’m a port supporter but I like to see Adelaide do well when my team aren’t. There was a 50 metre penalty that really should have been paid. The western bulldogs always seem to get a good run with umpiring.

1 Like

Does anyone know if commentators are travelling again to call matches?

Yes they are !!

1 Like

IDK about marches but the matches they are.

1 Like

Well they should definitely be there for the marches.

1 Like

It was not the case for North Melbourne v Geelong at Hobart yesterday. Dwayne Russell called the match off the tube in Melbourne, then went to another studio to commentate on the NBL clash between Perth Wildcats and South East Melbourne Phoenix in the evening.

2 Likes

Thursday night AFL for rounds 13-15 in Melbourne.

1 Like

Thoughts on the floating fixture?

On one hand it means you can put the best teams or games that are going to be close into the lucrative Friday night slot, but on the other hand, fans can’t plan ahead at the start of the season as to which games they go to, when to book in other commitments because their team isn’t playing on a certain day etc. I’m honestly quite divided.

2 Likes

I have to agree. Maybe make the last three rounds rolling?

1 Like

Trash.

There’s so much fans have to put up with to make it a better TV spectacle, the 7:50pm starts, Thursday night games, 30 seconds between each goal for ads, etc. Knowing when your team will play is I would have thought the least the AFL could do.

Attendance is down massively since pre-covid, and while only a small amount would be down to the floating fixture, it’s yet another factor that keeps people at home.

They could find a middle ground, schedule the whole season out, but flag two matches a round that could be swapped with a month’s notice, with a limit of 3 times per team that they are flagged for a swap in the season. Some flexibility and then you’d at least be able to book to see an interstate game knowing there’s one of two timeslots it would occur in.

Clubs should also have the certainty a long way out in terms of their management of players, knowing when some five-day breaks are coming up well in advance so they can pick the right games to rest.

3 Likes

Its shit and needs to go - I fear that it will be a bargaining chip in the next rights to stop the complaints from FTA broadcasters about lacklustre matchups in ‘premium’ timeslots

What other professional sports league around the world has a fixture where you only know the games in 4-6 week blocks? There are plenty that shift games around to suit fixture clashes or television commitments, but the vast majority of the fixture is locked in well in advance of the season

2 Likes

Premier League comes to my mind.

1 Like

The NRL use to have this and it was a disaster. Wrestling back a fixed schedule from the broadcasters was one of the best things that came out of the NRL commission.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t like the floating fixture either. It’s become about ratings and not about the fans. I would have booked a few trips back home to watch port play. But it’s too hard to plan anything and you have to wait a few months/weeks out before booking.

1 Like

Everything’s ok at West Coast…

4 Likes

If I pick One Tune to sign along to Tasmania Devils AFL Side, I’ll Choose America The Beautiful, but with Lyrics relating to Tasmania.

Fremantle proved they would be a serious premiership challenger by beating Geelong by three points at Kardinia Park this afternoon.

4 Likes