AFL

Or Maybe Nine/Stan Sport and Ten/Paramount+ might?

1 Like

The AFL are about to enter into CBA negotiations for both the men’s and women’s competition. Dealing with both that and the media rights this year means that not only will the long-term financial future of the competition be secure but it avoids the potential for either or both CBA’s potentially having to be modified/re-negotiated if the media rights are dealt with next year or 2024.

The thinking might also be to align when the next CBA ends and when the next rights deal ends so that the two are dealt in tandem moving forward.

1 Like

You’d hope these rights aren’t rushed through with some sort of pathetic extension of the current deal. The current arrangements are appalling.

You’d be wanting to go with one company that can do both broadcast and subscription all in one place. 9/Stan or a 10/P+ would be much better than anything seven or foxtel could do. No need for simulcast deals where one company cannot control all the output.

1 Like

The deals were extended during the covid break in the 2020 season which was a significant haircut on the original deal (20 odd percent from memory).

The AFL have traditionally squared away their TV rights well in advance of the end of the current agreement (the last one was >12 months), which allowed them to be ahead of the NRL (but that will change on this deal)

3 Likes

I presume you’re not aware of his brief tenure as CEO of Nine?

The key question for fans of non-Victorian clubs is: will it be OK for Seven to not show their team’s matches on FTA every week, if it means it can live stream the matches it produces every round (similar to Nine’s current broadcast deal with the NRL)?

1 Like
1 Like

It would be great for Seven if they get streaming rights for matches on 7plus.

However knowing what large sporting organisations like the AFL (i.e. Cricket Australia) can be like, I’m not holding my breath.

3 Likes

I am. Something he has admitted wasn’t right for him and his heart wasn’t in. Also at a time where he was still president of collingwood. I wouldn’t even use that to discuss his qualifications. AFL is his passion.

Personally I think he’s poisonous in large organisation as seen at both Nine and Collingwood. He’s talented, but I don’t think he’s a business leader.

Each to their own opinion. As I said earlier I don’t particularly like him, nor do I agree with his opinions. But with that said I have heard some of his ideas for the AFL and seen many of them happen. And they are good ideas. And I wouldn’t mind the same success for my club that collingwood has achieved.

1 Like

Such as?

A lot of the upgrades about to happen at the MCG are his ideas.

They are? Plans have been in place for some time, Eddie went to the Superbowl recently and returned with a thought bubble about roofing the MCG.

They have I believe he was on the committee for it.

1 Like

I don’t think Eddie would even want the job anyways. From all reports he wants to pursue business interests in America. I’d say he’s ready to move out of the Australian ‘bubble’.

1 Like

I don’t think he will want it either nor do I actually think he is the right person either. But I just don’t think he would be the worse person for the job.

Seven and Fox’s TV broadcast deal will be amended and extended until end of the 2027 season. For more see: AFL broadcast rights 2025-

VFL this week
Thursday, 14 April
Southport v Geelong, 7.05pm, Fankhauser Reserve
Friday, 15 April
Nth Melbourne v Footscray, 12.05pm, Arden Street Oval
Williamstown v Werribee, 1.05pm, Williamstown Football Ground
Saturday, 16 April
Sandringham v Gold Coast, 11.05am, Trevor Barker Beach Oval
Collingwood v GWS Giants, 2.05pm, AIA Centre
Sunday, 17 April
Carlton v Richmond, 11.05am, IKON Park
Sydney v Nothern Bullants, 1.05pm, Blacktown International Sportspark