AFL

Essendon suffered a 29-point defeat to Melbourne at the MCG tonight, meaning the Bombers had lost their first three matches of the season for the first time since 1967.

2 Likes

Things couldn’t get much worse for port Adelaide. A fantastic game though and it was great it was showcased on a Friday night. It’s a pity it wasn’t the only game. Because it was incredible. Well done to the crows they deserved that one.

2 Likes

The Western Derby - Things couldn’t get any worse for the West Coast Eagles. West Coast Eagles missed a lot of players due to HS protocols. They were simply outplayed by Fremantle in the Western Derby. But Fremantle are becoming a much better team under Justin Longmuir. Who knows whether Fremantle are finals contenders or not.

what’s kochie gonna do with his team?

• Fire hinkley in the next two rounds/within midseason
  • Wait and see out the end of the season with Hinkley
  • Instate the cash cow immediately as coach, Port winning every game and a the first Bovine coach winning a flag

0 voters

3 Likes

I think you have to give Hinkley until the end of the season. It’s unlikely they will play finals but it’s still not impossible. Hinkley isn’t the issue, in my opinion. It’s the laziness of players like Connor Rozee. He has no interest in playing football. It’s clear he doesn’t put the time and effort in the off-season and I really think they should look at cashing him in.

If port are 4-6 come round 12. Maybe then they should look at parting with Hinkley.

Of there next 12 games there is no reason why they can’t win 9 of them. And there final 4 games they would have gone in favourites had it not been for this start. 11 wins was enough to play finals last year so it is just not impossible.

That speaks to me about the morale in the team. If one is like that can only imagine how much would be in low morale in the locker room. Not sure what to make of it though, but if he is not happy with Football why is he playing in the place? I agree d-list him would probably give him a chance to get out of football. It didn’t seem the whole group didn’t play their heart out though which we see much with bigger teams (dare I say it Collingwood) my Geelong team (although I am fairly biased in that regard).

Herald Sun is reporting that CEO Gillon McLachlan is stepping down from the position at the end of the year after eight years in the job.

Media Conference at 11am.

1 Like

FSN says now pushed to 11:30.

1 Like

Perhaps the greatest achievement during McLachlan’s tenure as CEO was the creation of a new women’s competition.
His greatest challenge was during the COVID outbreak of 2020 and 2021 when teams were moved to other states to continue playing, and soft cap was reduced which led to clubs having to sack some support staff.

1 Like

3 Likes

Eddie is my tip to replace him

1 Like

:joy: no, that’s not going to happen.

3 Likes

Whoever takes over from Gillon McLachlan will have two tasks to do: the establishment of a new men’s team in Tasmania, and negotiation of a new TV and radio broadcast deal (Sam McClure said on Sportsday last week that discussions with Seven and Foxtel had begun).

1 Like

You are right that would be very unlikely. But Eddie wouldn’t be the worse person for the job. I don’t particularly like him but he is a great business person and knows how run organisations successfully.

1 Like

Surprisingly, that’s actually going to happen this year. It was one of the things Gil listed in the press conference that he wanted to get done before he departs as the AFL’s CEO.

Guessing that considering negotiations over the collective bargaining agreement are about to get well and truly underway, the AFL wants to do the two in unison so they know the long-term financial future of the competition.

1 Like

I feel Gillon is trying to rush through negotiations, which will mean little or no change to the terms of TV rights deal (i.e. Seven won’t be able to stream live its allocation of matches via 7plus until the Grand Final). If Gillon leaves it to his successor, he or she will have more time to negotiate and Seven will be able to offer variation to the contract, including live streaming.
And who knows, a third party like Amazon Prime may come onboard?
I think the AFL is relying too much on Foxtel for match broadcast, to the detriment of everyday footy fans.

2 Likes

When does the rights deal expire? I thought I had some time to run. Why is there a rush to renegotiate now?

The current TV rights deal expires at the end of 2024 season. The current radio rights deal (with SEN as master commercial broadcaster) expires at the end of 2022 season.

1 Like

If a third party comes on board they would surely lose Foxtel.

2 Likes