AFL

Well, the AFL & Seven’s ideal scenario is ADEL vs RICH.

That’ll surely be even bigger than last year?

Though the former would like GWS in the GF no doubt.

Can see Giants upsetting Richmond next week, but pretty sure Crows will not let their amazing year be ruined.

Prelims should be brilliant, what a crazy year, can’t wait :grinning:

My ideal GF will be Geelong v Richmond. It will mark 50 years since they last met in the 1967 VFL Grand Final, which the Tigers won by 9 points.

2 Likes

I honestly think if Port had won last week it might have been an Adelaide v Port grand final. But Port weren’t good enough last week.

It’d be special.

But I’d like at least one interstate team.

Crows deserve it more than Cats.

1 Like

I always thought Victorians wanted VIC teams in the Grand Final… So I’m pleased you think otherwise.

1 Like

Cats have been in too many GFs the past decade or so, like Swans and Hawks.

So apart from the romanticism of 1967 re-match (it was a great game on a sunny day)…

No thanks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

If Adelaide beat Geelong it would beat the trend of having at least one of Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong contesting in the GF since 2005. The only time this didn’t occur in this time was in 2010 (Collingwood v St Kilda).

1 Like

Haha, no. I’d rather eat glass than support the likes of Collingwood or Hawthorn in the finals

If the Cats weren’t to get up, I guess I’d say Adelaide deserve it the most - I’ve backed them as flag favourites since the start of the year. But they’re (marginally) the best of a bad lot

2 Likes

Can’t say I totally agree with you on that, but I do believe they’d have competed much better against GWS and, if they happened to win that game, would have been a very tough opponent for Richmond next week (just ask Hawthorn a few years ago)

1 Like

I have to agree with you that. I watched the game last night, and they just didn’t perform as they did last week.

1 Like

If Geelong win this year’s premiership, Chris Scott’s a bloody genius!

He was a mastermind to win the 2011 flag (his first year). Some said he was gifted the good team from Thompson.

Certainly would deserve title of “team of the last 15 years” or something? :open_mouth:

That may be going a bit too far. It would be interesting to see the Brisbane threepeat team and the Hawks threepeat team against the Geelong 2011 team. Who would win?

1 Like

I doubt it. If they had got through last week I think a similar scenario would’ve occurred to them too. GWS are a much better opponent on their home deck than being the away team. Port had been far too inconsistent and lost when it mattered most IMO.

I think going by attendance the AFL would be secretly hoping GWS don’t make it this year if they want a bumper crowd. Like Saturday night at Spotless, it would definitely be one of the lowest attended GF in history if they were to make it.

I (and I reckon the AFL would too) think it would be fantastic to see a Richmond and Adelaide GF. Firstly two different teams for once and secondly it would be a great spectacle with these two rather than the Giants or Cats.

If both of them were to make it I really don’t mind who won it to be honest. If I were to have a guess though I’d say it’s the year of the Tiger though! Wait and see though. :wink:

1 Like

Thought I’d post these amusing AFL team logos with references to Simpsons characters a person recently created (someone clearly has too much free time! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

HS link:

IMG_0058IMG_0059IMG_0060IMG_0061IMG_0062IMG_0065IMG_0063IMG_0066IMG_0064

8 Likes

I hope one of our mods doesn’t see the 2nd last one!

2 Likes

Agree with everything you said :slight_smile:

Although, the AFL need GWS to win a GF sooner rather than later, like any new club (took Crows, Eagles and Lions a similar amount of time, 5-8 years).

Only way forward, but crowds, yes point taken.

There’s no way the AFL would want GWS in the Grand Final this year. All the media hype, all the public interest is on Richmond getting there.

I can’t really see the general public getting excited for an Adelaide v GWS Grand Final for example. The build up would be terrible.

2 Likes

Well, that’s obviously the worst outcome.

I dount it will and hoepfully it doesn’t happen.

Whoever wins deserves to be there. And there is fair chance of an Adelaide v GWS Grand Final. Although i would love to see Richmond make it, and I think it would make a great Final, part of me would like to see an Adelaide v GWS Grand Final just to shut up the Victorians (no offence Luke).

It also took Port Adelaide the same period of time (5-8 years) without any AFL assistance.

1 Like

Geelong v GWS, Geelong winning by 23 points.

1 Like