AFL

I think they should just pause the season for 2 weeks.

Round 12 updated fixture:
Friday night: Melbourne v Brisbane, GIANTS Stadium
Saturday: St Kilda v Sydney, SCG, Adelaide v Collingwood (Venue TBA, Adelaide Oval if SA border exemption gets the go ahead), Essendon v Richmond, Optus Stadium
Sunday: Carlton v West Coast, SCG, Fremantle v Western Bulldogs, Optus Stadium

2 Likes

Herald Sun reports late tonight that SA Health has granted Collingwood an exemption to fly in and out of the state to tackle the Crows at Adelaide Oval on Saturday, while AFL executive general manager - finance, broadcasting and clubs, Travis Auld, said the league still hoped to reschedule games in Darwin and Alice Springs later in the season.

UPDATE 2/6:
South Australian chief public health officer Nicole Spurrier said today that the Pies would fly into Adelaide on game day, travel to the stadium on an SA Health-controlled bus and fly out post game. She has encouraged fans to avoid touching the ball or the players.

3 Likes

I can’t confirm is this is a joke tweet or not? Normally would ignore as a joke, but it quotes the journos 9 News account :face_with_monocle:

A bit pointless, someone is going to have to give it back to a match official at some point. I imagine the ball is cleaned before it goes back into play anyway.

But… she can’t be seriously warning that Collingwood players might be an issue for the virus? Surely.

I think she is… a bit bizarre really.

2 Likes

It’s a joke

Not a joke - she means business.

1 Like

Wow the world has gone mad. Aren’t the Collingwood players being tested before they leave? Seriously!

4 Likes

Good to see SA have their priorities in order :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

The 2021 AFL mid-season rookie draft was held this evening.

1 Like

Well off-topic for this thread but it’s very concerning that the Chief Public Health Officer of a state is focusing on hand/skin/touch contact transmission of a virus that is, as we’ve seen elsewhere (eg. Melbourne), conducive instead to airborne transmission.

If there was a genuine concern to public safety, how could they let the event go ahead with a crowd? How is the risk deemed suitable for the football players who have to contact the ball?

Starting to see how South Australia had a hotel quarantine outbreak after all…

2 Likes

UPDATE: Seven News’ Tom Browne reported during half time of Melbourne v Brisbane that the Queen’s Birthday clash would be played at the SCG with the support of NSW Government, however the Big Freeze would still be held at the MCG.

1 Like

Why is there no crowd at the Melb/Lions game? Just because no one in Sydney cares?

There is, they are all on the eastern side, no one behind the goal posts.

Probably about 5,000 there.

2 Likes

No one in Sydney cares about those two teams. Should be more at tomorrow’s Swans vs St Kilda game. Including yours truly. :wink:

2 Likes

Come on the saints. I need another cranky meltdown

1 Like

Like you need the Saints to win for that to happen…just try dealing with a government department that is tone deaf and knows they’re lying, and a union that’s in kahoots.

1 Like

Teaching unions are the worst!!