AFL

Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley has had his contract extended until the end of 2023. Well deserved given Port had a great season in 2020.

4 Likes

Should be longer in my opinion.

The 12 new life members include triple Richmond premiership forward Jack Riewoldt, West Coast captain Shannon Hurn, Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley (whose contract was extended for two more years as posted above) and former captain Travis Boak, Geelong forward Tom Hawkins and ex-teammate Harry Taylor, former Carlton skipper Marc Murphy, ex-Power utility Justin Westhoff, Crows AFLW coach Matthew Clarke, Tigers club director Emmett Dunne, veteran Carlton administrator Shane O’Sullivan and current AFL boundary umpire Darren Wilson.

1 Like

A path between William Barak Bridge and the MCG has been named Daniher’s Way in honour of former player, coach and MND campaigner Neale Daniher. It was officially unveiled yesterday with the Victorian Government also donating $1 million to FightMND.

3 Likes

Neale Daniher - Gotta give respect to this man. What a legend he is. In 1998, Daniher took over as coach of the Melbourne Football Club where they made finals. 2000 was a fantastic year for the Melbourne Football Club where they made the Grand Final for the first time since 1988. However, they were wallopped to Essendon by a 60 points. Melbourne had a good success during the 2002, 2004-2006 where they made finals. 2007 was his final season for the Melbourne Demons, due to a horrid start to the season. Daniher’s final game as coach was in Round 13 2007 against the Bombers. Daniher joined West Coast Eagles as a general manager of football operations in 2008 season. Daniher stood down in 2013 as he was diagnosed with MND. In 2016, Daniher received a Member of the Order of Australia award on Queen’s Birthday in 2016 for his efforts in raising awareness of Motor Neuron Disease. Well done Neale Daniher.

1 Like

I still think that a All Victorian Joint-Venture Club can still Happen, Probably better than North Melbourne relocating to Tasmania. Speaking of North, They should Join Forces with St. Kilda and VFL Powerhouse Sandringham maybe it’s better that 3 Clubs Unite as One.

1 Like

Tasmania want their own AFL club and all the research suggests it will be profitable if the AFL established a club in Tasmania. They don’t want a Victorian club. The AFL would love to relocate a club, it would be a lot cheaper, but it is not what Tasmanians want.

3 Likes

So a 50/50 Joint Venture would be the next best thing.

1 Like

2 Likes

I think Tasmania has made it pretty clear it’s a 19th team or it’s nothing.

1 Like

Would anyone actually notice if the Gold Coast Suns disappears and/or move to Tasmania?

1 Like

That isn’t on the cards. The team is making huge progress for the exposure of the game in QLD. Moving a team from QLD, after spending so much money last year in the state, would be the most irrational moronic decision the AFL has ever made. It would just never ever ever happen. They would be more likely to move Richmond to Tasmania than the Gold Coast.

1 Like

Or another merger like Fitzroy and Brisbane Bears did!!!

1 Like

Excuse me, that is not the way forward. We have done amazing stuff for footy on the coast on a community, development and participation level AND we are starting to rise and progress at a mens AFL level. Our women’s also made AFLW finals last year too…

1 Like

Im sorry. I’ll take my bad joke back about the suns. Glad they are generating more exposure for the team in Queensland .

4 Likes

Sydney Swans director and AFL commissioner Sam Mostyn, and the league’s first female field umpire Elena Glouftsis, were recognised in this year’s Australia Day honours list.
Mostyn receives an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO) for distinguished service to business and sustainability, and to the community, through seminal contributions to a range of organisations, and to women.
Glouftsis receives a Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for service to Australian rules football, particularly as an umpire.

1 Like

Is she still umpiring?

She is.

Former Brisbane Lions and Roar CEO Michael Bowers died on Monday from cancer. He was 57.

1 Like

Ford has extended its major sponsorship of the Geelong Cats for five more years, meaning their partnership will reach 100 years by 2025, making it one of the longest continuing sponsorships in world sport.