AFL

3:40pm local time, too. Two interstate teams, can’t imagine more than 10,000 showing up

3 Likes

Two matches will be played in Darwin as part of Round 13, Sir Doug Nicholls Indigenous Round, subject to NT Government’s quarantine requirements. Matches will be played from Friday to Monday after three rest days at the end of Round 12.

4 Likes

Rain with possible heavy falls is forecast for the Eagles game on Sunday. In excess of 50mm the Bureau is saying. Should it be called off and rescheduled to another day?

Didn’t two teams play in QLD to similar or worse conditions a few years ago? I say no it’s part of the game to play in any conditions. I have been to a game with Richmond and port one year where they hardly scored due to rain. It is part of the game.

6 Likes

It should be called off as there will be thunder and maybe lightning

1 Like

Why?

1 Like

it got stopped earlier this year here in Perth when we had a severe summer storm.

1 Like

When? What game?

I still think they played it in full. Eagles and Essendon in February

In a trial match?

Pre-season game.

But different if they did that. I don’t recall reports of this. If the game requires to be stopped for 10 minutes because of thunder then so be it. But there is rain all the time in Melbourne and I have been to games with thunder and lightening. It is part of the game. You probably don’t see a lot of it in Perth but it happens all the time.

1 Like

Have you ever been to perth? We do have our fair share of storms here. lol. :smiley:

That being said, I do think its a non issue only because back in the early 90s when I was watching footy when I was a handsome throwrug all teams played in heavy rain.

I don’t think it will be an issue. Plenty of sports happen in hard rain.

The worst that can happen is that they have come off the field for a short while until the worst of the storm passes, and then go back on.

I remember it happened once during an NRL game a few years ago… there was hail and the players came off for a little while, and went back on when that had passed. No dramas at all with that.

1 Like

WA has made a submission to the AFL to host this years Grand Final and all Finals at Optus Stadium.

The submission includes logistics, crowd capacity and quarantine measures.

3 Likes

I hope they don’t get it. I think the Grand Final should be hosted in QLD. In my opinion they deserve to be rewarded for the sacrifices and hospitality they have given the AFL. This is coming from someone in SA with their team a chance to play finals.

Crowd capacity is a real issue in Qld though. I’d be happy for QLD/SA to share all the others finals (4 and 4 split), but for WA to get the Grand Final.

That seems like the fairest option to me. All WA/NSW/VIC clubs nominate either the Gabba, Metricon or Adelaide Oval as their preferred home venue from the start of the finals series. Port Adelaide and Brisbane host from Adelaide Oval and the Gabba respectively.

The issue is people can get to SA they can’t get to WA at the moment. Then there is the two week quarantine issue so all finals would have to be played there or none at all. Apparently the AFL are going to be moving West Coast and Fremantle back to QLD at the end of round 14. So I just can’t see it happening.

Judging by this, the MCG is still hosting this years GF unless something changes.

1 Like

There is no way it will be played at the MCG.