AFL

Exactly right - media outlets run by sporting codes was hardly ever going to deliver hard-hitting journalism.

Still, it is surprising that this is the hill they’ve picked to die on? Perhaps the AFL didn’t envisage the backlash his suspension would cause?

1 Like

AFL have screwed this up royally here. Never has the Melbourne sporting media ever been more united than they are right now.

5 Likes

It is great to see posts like that. He did not deserve to be stood down.

This afternoon’s announcement by Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein that his state borders would not be open until August 31 at the earliest, means North Melbourne v Brisbane cannot be played in Hobart on August 15.

Jon Ralph is reporting that the AFL has reinstated Mitch Cleary but after he had to acknowledge the post was “a mistake on his behalf”

You have got to be joking! The AFL is a joke!

2 Likes

At least they reinstated him.

Only because of the media outrage

Mitch Cleary chatted exclusively to ABC Grandstand yesterday regarding his temporary suspension from the AFL.

So I went to the game last night. A bit on the game the Bulldogs were good and should have beaten us. They were fast they were persistent with their inside 50’s. But they just couldn’t convert. We were very lucky. But it was good to get our first win to a team that was currently in the top 8.

As for the covid restrictions. That will be the last game I go to. They aren’t doing enough in SA. No temperature checks. Yes there was social distancing but everyone left at the same time. There was hardly any changes even the toilets weren’t great. The water turns off after 2 seconds which means you can’t wash your hands properly. Dispensers didn’t have soap in them. And there were limited paper towels to dry your hands and nowhere to put those dirty towels.

3 Likes

The match was a great match. The Western Bulldogs started off well in the first quarter. However, during the second quarter, Western Bulldogs wasted a lot of opportunities, had missed chances on goal, a lot of rushed behinds. In the end Port Adelaide won the match by 13 points. I still think Port Adelaide will be the Flag favourites for this year. They are doing exceptional football. I think the crowd at Adelaide Oval was fantastic on a Monday Night with 19 000 at Adelaide Oval. many people followed social distancing measures and wore their masks during the match. I still think that there are a lot of hand sanitising stations around Adelaide Oval. Nevertheless, I think you made the right decision to sit at the back of the stadium in Level 3.

1 Like

That is my point though they didn’t. There was about 50 people in the toilet when I went in. Everyone left at the same time. It was a mess.

I wore a mask. But I did not see one other person wear a mask.

I didn’t see any

2 Likes

This is the basic amount of control these ovals need to be managing. Cleaning and being clean is one of the biggest things they can do to beat this thing.

Why don’t the umpires pay holding the ball as much these days? There are so many clear dropping the balls and these should result in holding the balls. The issue is when it doesn’t result in a holding the ball decision often the opposition have more available free players and ends up benefiting them. You should be rewarding tackling but not issuing holding the ball frees will encourage teams to tackle less and bump more.

Meanwhile, the AFL has cancelled its under-18 NAB League competition for boys and girls this year due to COVID-19 outbreak in Victoria.

3 Likes

They’re paying holding the ball more than ever, just not for incorrect disposal. It frustrates me to no end that a player picks up the ball, immediately has two or three blokes grab hiom and hold him up, yet gets pinged for not getting rid of it. Then you watch, as you rightly point out, the number of throws and drops let go. It’s just madness

1 Like

Richmond continued its winning streak over the Brisbane Lions, smashing them by 41 points on the Gold Coast. The Brisbane Lions started off well, however the Lions have wasted a lot of opportunities kicking a goal. They missed a lot of shots on goal and therefore they were outplayed by Richmond. Brisbane have now lost 15 straight matches against Richmond. When will the losing streak ever end? :disappointed: . Last time the Lions won over Richmond was back in ROund 7, 2009. WHy was it very hard for Brisbane to beat Richmond?
Richmond have a huge amount of members (104,000) while Brisbane Lions have about 29,000 members.

1 Like

I would rather more holding the balls though than paying some and not paying others that should be paid. I think you should reward a tackle as this discourages bumping. The major issue is often when you tackle you have 2 or 3 players tackling 1 person. If the ball drops out then it creates 2 free men for the team that was tackled. Just wish they would reward more for tackling as that is what we go to the game for.

1 Like

I didn’t think tackling was meant to be a “feature” of the game as such, in that you don’t see as many as you do in rugby league/union because of the “holding the ball” rule.

But one thing I’ve never understood is why tackling below the knees isn’t allowed? I can understand penalising tackling above the shoulders to protect the head though.

Results in a lot of injuries[quote=“Radiohead, post:4285, topic:803”]
I didn’t think tackling was meant to be a “feature” of the game as such
[/quote]

I think it’s one of the best things of AFL is the tackling.

2 Likes

I also find some of the scheduling a bit bizarre…

Collingwood vs Sydney at 5.40pm on a Thursday? (tomorrow).

I know they are trying to squeeze in as many games as possible to get the season over, but normally this would be prime time Friday or Saturday night material.