AFL

I think the Swans players are staying at Como Hotel is which is now managed by Accor Hotels, the AFL’s accommodation partner. There are many hotels run by Accor in Melbourne to choose from, not sure why the Swans picked the Como?

1 Like

Yes that’s the one. Surely one in the CBD would have been better.

I think you are right. Westhoff had a field day with 5 goals and they had no real answer for him. Todd Marshall also was very good up forward. Although Port Adelaide too had their absences so it isn’t really an excuse. Charlie Dixon, Ollie Wines and Hamish Hartlett were all absent. Big list of leadership out there.

Port Adelaide are doing well without Jack Hombsch who has moved to the Gold Coast. The crowd at MCG was about 30-40k. I still think that Melbourne can fight back against Geelong next Saturday with May returning. Clayton Oliver isn’t that bad.

He wasn’t even part of their best 22 last year anyway. Not really a loss for Port. They told him to look for more opportunities. Really I think they did well without Polec who provided amazing outside run last year. That was the loss I was most worried about.

You don’t write off the Hawks, you just don’t :wink:

1 Like

Port Adelaide need to start improving without pittard, hombsch and Polec. Otherwise, they will falter during the season.
Meanwhile heartbreak for Adelaide player Tom Doedee who injured his ACL in the 32 point loss to Hawthorn.

But pitard and Hombsch weren’t even part of the best 22.

You can tell that Ollie Wines last year had a good season. But without him with the horrible injury he suffered through January, it will be a tough year for port Adelaide

What? They won without him. And he is only out for a few weeks.

Port Adelaide need to start having a strong team against Carlton next week. It will be a win for port next week. Carlton never won in Adelaide oval and will be a waste if they get there.

I think @Super_SC needs to do his research haha. Did you even watch the game today?

SOrry, I don’t have Foxtel. Also I went shopping to buy food.

1 Like

Not while Clarko is there. The smartest coach in the league.

Happier tonight @dxnerd with the free kick count? Bang on even.

Dreadful night for the West Coast Eagles following their 44-point drubbing to the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba. The Eagles started off the game well, but during the second half, they lost momentum. In the 3rd quarter, West Coast only managed one point. The Eagles wasted a lot of opportunities, cannot concentrate on the ball well. I think that without key players, Josh Kennedy and Willie Rioli, the game started to lose balance. but Brisbane Lions prevailed over West Coast Eagles for the first time since 2012. It has been 2484 days since Brisbane Lions beat West Coast at the gabba. The Lions want to be more competitive and wanting to play well in 2019. I hope that they can see a win over North Melbourne next week.

Haha- we’ll see if it lasts. The Swans were definitely outplayed in this one, though, from the little of the match I saw.

1 Like

Marvel Stadium is simply the worst stadium used as a home ground for any club. The turf is just not acceptable and the fact the roof is still opened is simply stupid. Its not enjoyable to watch on TV nor would it be for the players to play on.

While I don’t disagree, I’m not sure the turf at Docklands can be much worse than the SCG at the moment

Looks like someone has done an academic analysis of free kicks in the AFL (though it’s a little dated):

Mohr, Philip & Larsen, Kerry. (1998). Ingroup Favoritism in Umpiring Decisions in Australian Football. The Journal of Social Psychology. 138. 495-504.

Just a little outdated. You would hope things have changed in 21 years haha