AFL

Though the psychology behind umpiring- which is the focus of the study- is unlikely to change much.

I think itā€™s about time that Marvel STadium needs a revamp. THe grass is outdated and needs replacement asap. PLaying in hard conditions is a hazard.

Essendon have not had a good start. It is only round 1 and there is no way I am riding them off but they were my pick from the flag this year. That midfield, on paper, is the best midfield I have seen since West Coasts; Judd, Cousins and Kerr combination.

As alluded to in the Seven coverage thread, Iā€™m just a little sad.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t be too worried. They have an unbelievable list. They will come back.

1 Like

Look, first round can often dish up odd results and yes no team would worry seriously, maybe even the margin of today.

But the fact thereā€™s so much pressure on the Bombers to perform, after recruiting hard and missing finals (after making them in 2017) is concerning to see we were never in the match at all. Even one good quarter or two of play to show something mightā€™ve made up for it a bit.

It was horrible to say the least. Anyway Iā€™ll try and forget it.

1 Like

Love to hear the diehard fan in you.

I think the biggest concerns are St Kilda and Gold Coast. I think we just witnessed the battle for the wooden spoon. It was a contest with so many skill errors and was not pretty to watch even if the match was decided by one point.

1 Like

Essendon: chokes
North Melbourne: hold my beer

WOW! FRemantle won the game by 88 points over north Melbourne at Optus stadium. North Melbourne are dreadful, horrible and were wasted. This surpassed the biggest victory margin at Optus stadium by 8 points. Brad scott will be angry of his loss.

3 Likes

Except the AFL actually came out afterwards and said the decision was correct, so thereā€™s thatā€¦

Except the AFL also said that decision was right. Iā€™d love to know how that ball hit the post when the close up replays clearly show that the ball didnā€™t.

Hawthorn memberships are significantly cheaper than North Melbourne memberships. And both are committed here until 2021.

Whats done is done and I think a crows supporter will see it didnā€™t a port one will say it did. Jenkins saw it hit the post. But who cares its done. That was my whole point.

The footage doesnā€™t lie. It didnā€™t hit the post, actually irrelevant what Josh Jenkins said at the time, heā€™s way further away than the goal umpire. But, anyway, doesnā€™t matter. I was merely pointing out how much cross there is in this thread. Bias against the Swans for example? I got a laugh out of that.

1 Like

Tasmanian Government sponsors Hawthorn, where North needed a couple of private sponsors to underwrite the few hundred thousand needed to cover that deal.

Oh and last night was pretty decent first 2.5 quarters. Helped a little by some questionable interpretations (the contact below the knees rule is one of the biggest overreations ever) but weā€™ll take it for sure. Wouldnā€™t be overly concerned on the Sydney side given theyā€™ve started slowly in the last few years but at least playing on ā€œdeath valleyā€ prepares them well for the Sandpit Cricket Ground surface on FNF against the Crow

Those private sponsors - Spirit of Tasmania and the Hobart City Council. One owned by the State Government and the other is an arm of Government, hardly different private sponsors to Hawthornā€¦

Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast Suns performances have got to be very pleasing for both clubs and the AFL. Yes, very early yet, but the actual 4 quarter play was best for both in a long time and the determination and passion (not just the win and near win respectively).

Did you watch the suns? It might have been close but the skill errors were horendous.

1 Like

Oh okay, I didnā€™t actually, only saw a few snippets of highlights. But with the 1 point margin and finish, thought Iā€™d be positive.

1 Like

St Kilda/Gold Coast was a 17 v 18 play-off. Really poor.

Brisbane on the other hand has promise. Donā€™t be surprised if they sneak into the 8

3 Likes