AFL Coverage

The AFL Nation website is still active, but is only reposting AFL news articles from the SEN website.

The AFL Nation podcast has also been updated with highlights from the commentary of last night’s season opener between Richmond and Carlton, as well as pre-match and post-match in full.

2 Likes

Yep, still called AFL Nation. The various SEN streams taking the call even list it as that.

As for affiliates. In addition to Ace taking most timeslots and SRN/BOG taking at least two Saturday games, it seems that Resonate are taking the same games as SRN/BOG, while CAAMA, Cruise 1323 Adelaide, Voice FM 99.9 Ballarat and KLFM 96.5 Bendigo are taking some games.

3 Likes

Any mention on air or online/socials from Cruise1323 regarding them now taking the calls?

I’d love to read/see listener feedback.

They’re one of the last of the strong performing AM music stations and this’ll seriously have an impact on its listeners.

It’s not like Adelaide really has any alternative for when 1323AM takes the call.

SEN already destroyed ARN’s 4KQ. Why are they letting it happen again to Cruise?

3 Likes

Community station Coast FM 88.7 is similar on the weekend at least, transmission might be a bit limited outside the southern suburbs though.

2 Likes

New rights deal means 3AW is relaying Victorian games back in to Adelaide and Perth via FiveAA and 6PR again.

Previously FiveAA and 6PR were forced to use SEN AFL Nation coverage for non-SA or non-WA matches.

3 Likes

In the previous rights deal when 3AW wasn’t syndicated, they strangely maintained the half time formatics from the rights deal before that one, where the 2nd break was preceded by a news update which in turn was preceded by whoever was hosting the coverage advising “relay station to take your commitments and rejoin us in about five minutes”.

Now that they have relay stations again, they’ve changed the format. The 2nd break is no longer preceded by a news update. Instead a news update follows the break and a full “Melbourne’s 3AW” news opener goes out to the network.

3 Likes
2 Likes

For those interested in seeing how 3AW call interstate matches out of the studio.

4 Likes

How did they cover the outage?

1 Like

Not sure about 3AW but SEN commented on the scenes from the ground, talked about the rules for such a situation, discussed previous interruptions, discussed the game so far, speculated about how the players would perform after such a break, played an interview Seven had with an AFL official, and took one commercial break during the delay. Effectively a lot of padding and time filling but it was surprisingly entertaining.

2 Likes

Indeed only ABC and MMM (they used the Brisbane based team for this game nationwide even though there was no coverage of the game at all in Brisbane, even on digital) were at the ground, but not sure how they covered it given the blackouts hit the broadcast/Vulture Street/Powderfinger (I’m sure someone will get the reference) side of the ground much worse than the Stanley St end.

2 Likes

ABC coverage continued as the key set up at the ground for broadcasting had battery backup power. However, the commentators lost all screens/computers and the link to the boundary reporter, however they did end up getting her on the line through the main host studio via phone. Similar to SEN, they reflected on the scenes on the ground, discussed the rules and lots of general reflection on the situation and game to that point of time.

3 Likes

I notice that Lauren Arnell’s role on ABC’s coverage has changed now that she is the coach of Port Adelaide AFLW team. She no longer appears on the Sunday lunchtime show on ABC Melbourne, and is just now an expert commentator on ABC Adelaide (she was heard on Adelaide v Richmond yesterday).

Brett Deledio and Marc Murphy are now permanent panellists on the Sunday show.

2 Likes

Triple M is now posting via the LiSTNR articles website.

Interesting to note that since Brenton Speed has left Foxtel, he has been picked up by Triple M for their Sydney games (at least this week).

2 Likes

Sorry if I’m late to the party… but how long has 2MMM had AFL broadcasts on DAB+ only?

Brilliant idea from SCA.

In fact, I think they should broadcast ALL sport on DAB+ only and leave FM for MMMusic.

1 Like

I notice that the ABC’s Ben Cameron, who normally lives in Perth, has been calling several matches in Melbourne since the new season began. Is this a temporary move?

2 Likes

When Triple M FM has NRL coverage and they’re required to play the local teams’ coverage into Sydney.

4 Likes

Interestingly in regional Qld (at least in Rocky) the Bulldogs vs Lions game was broadcast here instead of Roosters vs Parramatta, even though Brisbane MMM took the NRL game (or at least was advertised to)

2 Likes

For the 2nd consecutive week, 3AW and 6PR AFL coverage isn’t available on the AFL website or app. They are available via 3AW and 6PR’s websites and apps however.

2 Likes

I think Nine Radio has an expanded agreement with the AFL which allows for the coverage to stream on station websites but AFL.com.au normally offers audio streams of all calls for all games. Perhaps AFL.com.au is having an issue accessing 3AW’s audio stream?

2 Likes