AFL Coverage

According to their website, yes, with Peter Vlahos, David Schwarz, and Brad Hardie.

I’d like to listen to that, but I probably won’t get out of a polling place until at least 8pm and then will probably want to follow the election anyway. I wish football and elections didn’t overlap!

The AFL website broadcast guide reports Essendon V Fremantle will be on Macquarie Sports Radio in Melbourne instead of 3AW.

1 Like

MSR in Sydney is covering both GWS v Carlton and the A-League grand final between Perth Glory and Sydney FC this Sunday. I think the AFL coverage will finish at 6pm AEST (during half time of GWS v Carlton) before crossing to Perth for the 6.30pm A-League kickoff.

That’s interesting - it seems to suggest (unless they had to get permission from the AFL to do it as a ‘once-off’ due to election coverage) that there’s nothing which would/is stopping 3AW from moving it’s AFL coverage to MSR if they wanted to

The MSR website lists that as true - 882 Brisbane is also taking the game

I wonder who MSR will use as the call team- either the 6PR team or someone form AFL Nation?

It’ll be the usual Saturday night 3AW crew (Harf, Tonsils, Cummings, Beva and RoCo). It’ll just be on 1278 instead of 693.
The others were taunting RoCo last week about leaving him to call by himself given he’s of a different political persuasion to most of the rest of the call team.

Edit: it’s Tonsils out as he’s down at Geel doing the twilight game and Nick Butler in.

1 Like

3AW football on 1278 - it’ll be just like the old days :grinning:

2 Likes

ABC Radio in Victoria broke away at half time of Port Adelaide v Gold Coast today and broadcast Richmond v Hawthorn in full. I guess the current radio deal with the AFL allows this flexibility. In the past ABC in Victoria had to broadcast the 1.10pm match in full, regardless if a Victorian team is involved.

1 Like

Is there a reason why ABC has to air the same match that MMM and 3AW are? Why would they break away at half time of Port Adelaide v Gold Coast today and broadcast Richmond v Hawthorn in full, when it was also being broadcast on MMM and 3AW?

I’m assuming you’re referring to ABC Radio in Melbourne?

Richmond v Hawthorn would be the game everyone in Victoria wants to hear. Can’t imagine too many people there wanting to hear the rest of Port Adelaide v Gold Coast.

1 Like

It’s taken until round 10 but it appears Crocmedia have joined ABC (round 3 Haw vs NM) and Triple M (round 8 NM vs Gee) in not covering every game. This week their schedule doesn’t include the Sun 3.20 St Kilda vs Carlton game.

Any bets that ABC doesn’t cover Carlton-Essendon next week?(China game at 2.20pm, followed by Eagles-Bulldogs at 5.20pm

For today’s St Kilda-Port Adelaide match, ABC has Nathan Burke in Shanghai, while Quentin Hull, Corbin Middlemas and Lauren Arnell are at ABC studios commentating the match in front of a TV. Hull called Brisbane’s win over Hawthorn at The Gabba last night, meaning there was not enough time to fly from Brisbane to Shanghai.
ABC Radio in Victoria, Tasmania and NT breaks away at quarter time of St Kilda v Port Adelaide for the full call of Carlton v Essendon from the MCG, while SA and WA will stay with Saints v Power followed by West Coast v Western Bulldogs.

I think Burke was in Geelong yesterday, unlikely he’s in Shanghai today. Did they say they are in Brisbane, weird to fly them all there rather than Hull to Melbourne.

1 Like

So Burke had enough time to fly to Shanghai after covering yesterday’s Geelong vs Sydney match but they flew the Middlemas and Arnell to Brisbane instead of simply flying Hull to Melbourne? Interesting.

Triple M the sole radio coverage on the ground in Shanghai this year. 5AA, ABC and AFL Nation all calling from a TV.

Arnell is now based in Brisbane. She joined the Lions AFLW team last year.

Yes, plays for Brisbane in the AFLW. Works for AFL Victoria otherwise. Arnell called the game in Geelong yesterday. Or are you suggesting they also called that game off the TV as well? My point is, why would Burke fly to China to call a game with Arnell (who didn’t fly) when they called a game less than 24 hours previously. Would be easier to fly Hull into Melbourne.

But lives and works in Melbourne. Even posted an Instagram story of the MCG taken from Princes Bridge just after noon today, probably walking to the ABC studios to do the game.

1 Like