AFL Coverage

There’s always rounds where there’s variations to what Seven would normally do (eg; as previously mentioned, they’re not producing a Sunday game this round because they have the Easter Monday game between Geelong & Hawthorn)

Yeah, so they can alter them for radio too…

3AW will be taking 6PR’s call of the game Frematle v. GWS today, with Peter Vlahos, Shane McInnes(who also works for 3AW) & Brad Hardie. That means the 2 main teams are doing the Melbourne matches.

3AW had the Good Friday Appeal as they did North Melbourne versus Essendon Earlier in the Evenung for Kick for the Kids.

1 Like

Flick over to Triple M and Brian Taylor opens up coverage of the Saints v Crows by welcoming listeners “to Etihad Stadium”

Good start.

Whilst driving to the restaurant , I heard Matt Primus, Andrew swallow do commentary for Gold Coast v Brisbane match from Metricon stadium on abc

Matthew Primus was a late call up today to replace the ill Jeff White. I heard it whilst listening to the radio, wasn’t going anywhere though.

I wonder why 3AW is taking the Geleong-West Coast game via 6PR, instead of sending it’s own team to GMHBA Stadium?

Contractually obliged to do the game in Launceston starting at 320, and sent the team south (there was mention of Ling missing a 2009 premiership reunion because of this on the TV telecast).

Not to mention that 6PR are also contractually obliged to cover all WC/Freo games themselves.
Not sure why you’d send two different commentary teams to cover the same game (even though they’ve done it 4 times already this year).

Makes sense then.

They don’t always cover the 320 game themselves if it’s a Perth game(happened a few times) or even Launceston once a few years ago(took 6PR in that case). Could occur in Round 12 or even send Tim Lane and Tony Leonard to the SCG.

http://aflnation.com.au/radio/

https://www.3aw.com.au/afl-football/broadcast-schedule/

Few different things this week.
Alice James (producer of the Adelaide Rush Hour) is there instead of Chris Dittmar, no idea why.
Sarah Hosking also working for Triple M.
David Lindsay appears to calling for AFL Nation instead of the ABC this weekend, maybe he’s a casualty of Ben Cameron going the other way?

1 Like

Afl nation commentators.

Cricket Australia announced the 2019-20 international cricket fixture this morning, with the first match to be held on Sunday September 29, a women’s T20 between Australia and Sri Lanka at North Sydney Oval. The afternoon timeslot means ABC Radio Melbourne won’t be able to replay the full match call of the AFL Grand Final from the day before, as it has been the station’s tradition for many years. It will have a GF review show from midday to 2pm AEST before the cricket though.

Suspect they’ll use digital platforms for match replays.

ABC’s “B-team” was at Ballarat yesterday to broadcast the Dogs-Lions clash into Queensland.

This Saturday night (May 18) there will be no AFL broadcast on ABC Local Radio nor News Radio due to their joint federal election coverage. ABC Local Radio’s broadcast on analogue radio will finish at 6pm AEST, during halftime of Geelong v Western Bulldogs. The second half of that game, along with the Saturday night clashes featuring North Melbourne v Sydney and Essendon v Fremantle, can be heard on Grandstand Digital or on AFL website and AFL official app.

West coast v Melbourne will still be available via abc radio. I think Clint wheeldon And Kelli Underwood will be calling that match from Optus stadium.

Why wouldn’t the Friday night match be covered?

I’m assuming 6PR will cover the Essendon v Fremantle game instead of federal election coverage, no?