AFL Coverage

https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/1109705861742551041
This means it will clash with the AFL match between North Melbourne v Brisbane which starts at 1.10pm AEDT.
I think ABC will broadcast Kangaroos v Lions on NewsRadio in Queensland and AFLW on analogue and digital radio to VIC, SA, WA and TAS. Of course the broadcast will be streamed on AFL website.

That’s bad news for AFL fans in northern Tasmania. It’s either ABC Radio or AFL website if they want to hear commercial radio coverage.

Herald Sun reports today (March 28) that former Essendon coach and premiership captain James Hird is returning to radio this Saturday. He will provide special comments on Triple M for his former side’s game against St Kilda.

EDIT 29/3: Paul Roos made his 3AW debut tonight for its coverage of Sydney v Adelaide at the SCG.

Every major radio network which has the AFL broadcast rights will broadcast this afternoon’s AFLW Grand Final between Adelaide and Carlton from Adelaide Oval from 12.30pm. While SEN and ABC had covered AFLW every week this season, it will be the first time in 2019 the competition is broadcast on Triple M, 5AA and Macquarie Radio (via AFL Nation).

Fox Sports News’ Julian de Stoop makes his commentary debut today, for ABC Radio.

Was listening to Triple M today for the Carlton v Sydney game. Brian Taylor, James Brayshaw, Billy Brownless and Gerad Healy (I believe) couldn’t think of a worse line up. Well actually any of those being replaced by Eddie would be. I switched it off and found a different channel pretty quickly.

Calls for 3AW.
Would have been Wayne Carey.

1 Like

No i think it might have been Danny Frawley. But it might have been Wayne Carey. Anyway the first 3 were enough for me to turn off. They could have had Ariana Grande as the fourth and I still would have switched.

Frawley works at SEN. It was Carey, I looked up their call teams. Plus, I do occasionally listen to Triple M although I prefer the Sunday combo.

1 Like

According to AFL website, ABC News Radio in Queensland is broadcasting Sunday’s match between Gold Coast and Carlton, but not Saturday’s clash between Essendon and Brisbane. Weird.

Any A-League fixture?

Both Suns and Lions matches are held in the afternoon so no clash with the A-League.

They’re not covering the match at all, seems unusual, although they didn’t do the 3.20 Sunday match last week either.

Could it be because MSR and MMM are covering it in Brisbane?

According to the ABC they are covering the game via ABC News Radio in QLD alongside their stream.

Does the Thursday Night game count towards 3AW’s quota, or are they skipping 2 matches because they don’t have Melbourne teams in them?

3AW don’t normally broadcast Sunday twilight matches unless at least one Victorian team is involved. Friday night’s clash between West Coast and Port Adelaide is a special case. I know ABC Radio is broadcasting it.

While they could have taken 6PR’s coverage like they usually would for a Perth game, guessing they’re not broadcasting the game due to their Good Friday Appeal commitments

And as they are covering the day game, they wouldnt be obligated to broadcast the night game just like 7 is not showing it apart from in SA and WA (and its just Fox coverage anyway)

Technically, 3AW should be broadcasting the West Coast/Port Adelaide game because they’re contractually obliged to cover all Friday night games - public holiday ‘marquee’ games fall in a separate category

Technically, 7 are also supposed to cover all Friday night games so they should be the host broadcaster of West Coast vs Port Adelaide.
I guess the AFL allow a switcheroo for this weekend.

Correct. 3AW’s Good Friday AFL coverage will finish at around 7.30pm before crossing to Nightline live from the Good Friday Appeal.
AFL Nation coverage for Easter round:

Note the three commentary calls for GWS v Fremantle for Saturday, including one for 2SM and another for MSR Sydney. Why can’t we have just one call for stations nationwide?

1 Like

Because Bill wouldn’t pay for separate broadcasting on 2SM when the rest of the network takes a call.

They could at least play automated music on 2SM during these calls. Then regionals could take MSRs call.