AFL Coverage

I believe she works for the NEAFL so not totally foreign to her. I mean, Seven let BT and Zemplis call, can’t have too higher expectations.

Jessica is the NEAFL Media Manager.
I’m assuming she actually called Saturday night? Done some boundary reporting for the ABC before.

AFL Nation commentary line-up for Round 16

I understand the House of Hutch really rates Heverin but I’m fairly certain he’s unable to call the same game in two different calls simultaneously! Same goes for Wallace, same game (Ess v Coll).
Also, Warren Tredrea is apparently calling the PP v Stk game for AFL Nation and 3AW. Interesting!

3 Likes

Sandy Roberts calling with Huddo- is that because of the radio survey break?

Yes. Gerard is on holidays this week. Huddo has been filling in for him on fox footy’s AFL 360.

Likewise, I don’t fancy Andy Maher’s chances of getting back in time from Darwin on Saturday night to call a Sunday midday game at Etihad. Don’t think there is a red-eye out of Darwin.

actully there are multiple red eye flights to take passengers coming in from asia to other parts of australia.

one option for example is JQ677, which deaprts at 2am and arrives at 6:40am - thers also flights around the 1am mark to sydney and brisbane where a connecting flight can be got and you can arrive in melbourne by 10:30am

One week after Barry Hall was sacked after his comments, Triple M’s Mark Howard issued an on-air apology during the pre-game coverage of Richmond v Adelaide this evening.

There have been more fallout since the Barry Hall controversy. Herald Sun reports Leigh Montagna has been stood down by Triple M from all media duties, and has been let go by Tabcorp (he has been appearing on Tabcorp app this season to give his AFL previews). Montagna, Nathan Brown, Mark Howard and Damian Barrett have all been counselled.

I see that : Leigh Montagna is scheduled to call the Collingwood v West Coast match for Triple M on Sunday.

AFL Nation commentary line-up for Round 17

AFL-NATION-CALL-TEAMS-2

AFL-NATION-CALL-TEAMS-3

I didn’t realise K Rock still has a MCG frequency for when they broadcast matches from there. Years (bloody hell, ago they would have Ted Whitten on the scoreboard reminding people who were used to getting 3GL on AM to tune in since 95.5 wasn’t strong enough for inside the ground…

Someone may correct me, but I don’t think they’ve used 88.0 at the MCG for the past few years. I’ve tried tuning in a few times and got nothing, so it may be a new thing that they’ve got it back up and running.

I’ve always wondered(and maybe this a question for you guys to answer) Does ABC, 3AW and MMM have the the commentators pause to allow a clean join when one match is over? Like if 3AW is taking a late match for 6PR and their match is over, and they crash into the 6PR coverage mid-game. Same thing with ABC or MMM.

For Sunday, i assume that the West Coast v Western Bulldogs match will be via 6PR, since 3AW doesn’t usually send a team to Perth.

For ABC Radio, a clean join only happens when the other match is at quarter breaks. Otherwise, commentators of the second match will continue to commentate and just say “welcome to listeners from Victoria, Tasmania and NT who join us from the Collingwood v West Coast game” (using last Sunday as an example.

ABC does more games- than 3AW or MMM does each year. Since they cover the 1.10pm and 3.20pm matches on Sundays, they have more matches than any of the other stations.

ABC cover around the same as Triple M. AFAIK, there’s 7 matches this season Triple M haven’t covered.

AFL Nation commentary line-up for Round 18

The proposed merger between Nine and Fairfax Media (which part owns Macquarie Radio) will cause big changes to the latter’s coverage of AFL matches. For a start, Nine will be able to use The Age and 3AW to promote its AFL shows like The Footy Show and Footy Classified (The Age columnist Caroline Wilson is a panellist on FC while her on-screen colleague Chris Judd writes a weekly column on The Age). It could also put some members of 3AW commentary team in a difficult situation. Chief commentator Tim Lane will call test matches for Seven this summer while special comments men Cameron Ling and Matthew Richardson also work for Seven during the AFL season. Under this merger, will these three men be forced to choose to stay at one or the other?