AFL Coverage

Anyone know what happened?

I wasnā€™t listening at the time but Iā€™m aware, yes.
Not going to say it in a public forum.
EDIT: just go to some sort of social media and search Barry Hall. Absolutely disgusting.

There are reports on social media. Incredible that someone would think like that let alone vocalise those thoughts whilst on air. Good call by Triple M to remove him immediately.

2 Likes

Surprised that they didnā€™t name him in the statement, to be honest. Regardless, management made the correct call here

2 Likes

Begs the question, were they on a seven second delay and if so who had their finger on it and didnā€™t think it worthy of being dumped? If no delay, why not?

1 Like

And now according to The Age, all the men laughedā€¦

Surely Montagna didnā€™t laugh? I wouldnā€™t haveā€¦

The football goes to air without a delay so that it is live for people who wish to listen to it at the ground. I imagine the same goes for the pre and post game shows when they are done from the ground (which is always the case for games in Melbourne) as it would be easier to manage as one whole broadcast.

1 Like

Isnā€™t the seven second delay specifically for when radio stations take callers? All other times they shouldnā€™t be on delay.

We need audio evidence. Surely Barry Hall would know better.

Thanks to someone on bigfooty

Itā€™s not that bad.

Yes, Barry Hall has always been renowned for ā€œknowing betterā€. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

AW used to do pre game and post game on
delay. Occasionally theyā€™d forget and remain in delay once the game started. Easy to set up with a commercial break or station ID.

I knew Barry socially during his St Kilda days and professionally in his post football life. Iā€™m surprised but not. This is the old Barry peeking out.

Having heard the audio (via another source) itā€™s pretty obvious that Triple M have used Barry as the scape goat here since heā€™s a casual and easy to get rid of. The whole topic was inappropriate and others should be sanctioned too. Definitely not condoning what he said, it was the tipping point, but thereā€™s no place for discussing such procedures in a 6pm footy show to begin with. Joey should know better than to bring up him wife in a conversation that way, and others should know not to bring it up. Had a full time employee such as Eddie or Billy made the exact same comments Triple M would be standing by their talent.

2 Likes

Barry Hall has apologised for the vulgar comments he made last night.

Exactly. I thought the joke Mick Molloy made at the end was worse than what Barry said.

Itā€™s the footy, not the Triple M gynecological show. Time and place and all that jazz.

1 Like

There was a female voice calling last nightā€™s Gold Coast v Collingwood match alongside Quentin Hull on ABC Radio. Does anyone know her name?

Jessica Webster

1 Like

how did you listen to the suns-magpies match then?

MMM only used 2 in the booth for that match- Richard Champion and Sam Hargreaves. Cost cutting, perhaps?

The other usual person Triple M use for Suns games is Barry Hallā€¦
Simon Black does Brisbane games, maybe he either doesnā€™t want to do Suns games or is away?

Sheā€™s actually pretty good- and for someone who hasnā€™t done an AFL match before too.