AFL Coverage

I wonder what matches he’d call, most likely games with interstate teams visiting Melbourne.

Julian De Stoop is Boundary Rider on ABC Grandstand for St Kilda v Brisbane today he’s previous called games for SEN.

1 Like

Might hear some of these guys calling during the comm games

Shane McInnes and Nigel Carmody both did double shifts today. They called the AFLW Grand Final for 3AW and Seven respectively, then commentated tonight’s AFL match between Hawthorn and Collingwood for 3AW and ABC respectively.

Was thinking the same thing. We’ll likely hear Joel Peterson and Julian De Stoop calling while the regulars are on the Gold Coast. Nigel Carmody will likely call too.

It isn’t normal, but this week, with an extra timeslot caused by the aussie gp, it makes sense.

According to the ABC Grandstand radio schedule, NewsRadio was scheduled to carry Essendon v Adelaide from Docklands in Queensland. Perhaps a switching error occured?

It certainly wasn’t during the first quarter, when a very distant signal of 3LO from Melbourne was. Hence why I was so surprised. I believe they did carry the Friday night game though

Tom Rehn is calling the game Thursday night with Huddo on SEN. I notice there is two calls for the 1.45 game- Gerard Whateley and Kevin Barlett on SEN, while Stephen Quatermain is calling the same match for 5AA and 2UE.

Not that it’s a usual pattern, but i notice for Sunday- only SEN covering the Swans-Power match in full, since it overlaps with Eagles-Bullodgs at 3.20pm.

AFL Nation commentary line-up for Round 2:

I am a bit confused by the scheduled start of play for the Geelong and Hawthorn game. Thought it started around 3:30. Not 7:20.

You’re right - AFL Nation made a mistake with their graphic

1 Like

Benny Jones a late replacement for Tristan Foenander in the Sydney game on Sunday.

Joel Peterson called his first AFL match today (Western Bulldogs v West Coast) for ABC Radio.

Caught the 3rd quarter, he sounds pretty competent.

1 Like

Is there somewhere the ABC posts their commentary teams?

AFL Nation commentary line-up for Round 3:

Tristan Foenander is in Augusta covering the US Masters golf for SEN, while Peter Donegan is in Gold Coast commentating for the world feed of the Commonwealth Games.

It’s weird. I looked this up on their website earlier and it had Brett Phillips and Scott Lucas calling the WB/Ess Sun 3.20 game for AFL Nation. It’s now not there. Interesting.

The commentary team is usually posted on ABC Grandstand Twitter 1-2 hours before the match starts.