AFL Coverage

I think I read somewhere she’s doing Saturday, don’t recall if that’s afternoon or night.

‘Lehmo’ joins ABC Radio

Anthony ‘Lehmo’ Lehmann to host ABC Radio’s flagship AFL programs.

ABC announced today one of Australia’s most popular broadcasters and comedians, Anthony ‘Lehmo’ Lehmann as the new host of ABC Radio’s Saturday and Sunday AFL programs during the 2018 footy season.

Saturday’s will see ‘Lehmo’ team up with sports commentator Angela Pippos to look at the big issues and the happenings in AFL that week. On Sundays ‘Lehmo’ will be joined by the Outer Sanctum’s Emma Race for a relaxed and fun review of the week that was, before previewing the games.

No stranger to radio, ‘Lehmo’ hosted Melbourne’s Gold FM’s Breakfast program for 7 years. Prior to this he hosted the national drive show on Triple M with Wil Anderson, and SAFM’s Breakfast show in Adelaide. He is a regular panelist on The Project, and has appeared in several television shows, including Utopia (Series 1, 2 & 3), It’s A Date (Series 2), Good News Week, Rove Live, just to name a few. He was also a regular panelist on Before the Game for more than six years.

“Growing up in the country in the ‘70s and ‘80s, ABC Radio was our connection to the world of sport. My Dad pretty much had a mini transistor radio stuck to his ear every Saturday of my childhood. For me now to be broadcasting to the ABC’s loyal audience on the station’s flagship sports program is a true honour. I love every element of our great game from the players to the coaches to the fans to the colourful characters and I hope to speak to them all this year. I can’t wait to get started!”, Lehmo said.

“I am delighted we have been able to bring together such a strong team for our weekend programs,” said Nick Morris, Manager ABC Sport. “Lehmo, Angela and Emma, supported by our AFL team around the country, will provide great insights and entertainment to our audiences across the season.”

1 Like

Lehmo is a big Hawthorn fan as well, he will bring a lot of footy knowledge to the new preview shows.
This also marks Angela Pippos’ return to the ABC. She presented sport on ABC TV news in Victoria in the early 2000s.

Interesting, sounds like it will be more studio based than at the grounds.

ABC Radio will broadcast not one but two AFLW games this week: Western Bulldogs v Melbourne on Saturday night and Collingwood v Adelaide on Sunday afternoon.

Essendon star Brendon Goddard and retired Western Bulldogs premiership defender Matthew Boyd have signed with the ABC and will provide special comments during its radio coverage this season.

1 Like

I’m surprised this one hasn’t been mentioned yet:

Western Sydney community radio station SWR Triple 9 will broadcast coverage from AFL Indigenous Broadcasting (NIRS) each Friday night in 2018. Members of the SWR team will also join AFL Indigenous Broadcasting to call every home game from the Giants and Swans plus selected away games through the season.

NIRS has been doing Friday, Saturday and Sunday calls for a while now - so looks like they’ll just be taking what the satellite service has on offer. It was only last year restrictions were lifted allowing any community station to take the AFL broadcasts now. (Article here).

Although they originate from 98.9 FM in Brisbane (where NIRS is co-located) where it already went out to a Metro audience. But there is now nothing stopping any community station in a metro or non-metro market that has a satellite dish broadcasting the games.

1 Like

Round 1 coverage on AFL Nation this week including markets:

1 Like

Now that Crocmedia has completed its merger with SEN, it means SEN commentators like Anthony Hudson and recent signing Gerard Whateley have officially become members of AFL Nation commentary team.

That means 6PR won’t need it’s own call team in Melbourne, since they can take AFL Nation commentary.

According to Radio Today, SEN’s new commentary team will call the Saturday and Sunday afternoon time slots throughout the home and away season and finals including the 2018 Toyota AFL Grand Final. In addition, 1116 SEN listeners will hear AFL Nation calls broadcast on the station on Friday nights, Saturday twilight, Saturday night and each Sunday twilight game throughout the season.

3AW has made three changes to its commentary team for 2018. Matt Granland rejoins 3AW after he was sacked by SEN earlier this year. Fox Sports’ Tom Morris (also part of Sportsday) and AFL Media’s Nat Edwards are the new boundary reporters, joining Tiffany Cherry and Herald Sun’s Michael Warner.

Looking at 3AW’s schedule, they are taking the 6PR coverage of West Coast v Sydney. I guess that’s common for them isn’t it?

Not unusual, given they are both Macquarie owned.
6PR regularly take AFL Nation too, opening it up for SEN callers to be on 6PR.

Opening game of the opening round of the AFL last night, and do you think I could find a radio call of the game in Brisbane? Unfortunately no

At 6pm (Qld) 612 was carrying regular programming, News Radio also regular programming (why?), ABC Grandstand Digital the extended coverage of the NRL before going to the cricket later in the evening (fair enough), there is no ABC Extra anymore, 4BC was taking regular talk programming, 882 had the NRL as well and NTS Digital had some boring talk replay going

I understand I’m not in an AFL market here and I don’t expect 612 or MMM to cannabalise itself just for me, but with all the channels (both analogue and digital) available, surely at least one station could have carried the game? Especially on the ABC given the number of channels they have and that they’re already producing a call. I ended up DXing 774 from Melbourne just to hear it (where powerlines didn’t make that impossible)

Was there Parliamentary proceedings taking place?

Federal Parliament does not resume until next Monday, March 26.
Last night News Radio in Melbourne was broadcasting NRL (as part of the new radio deal between the league and the ABC). I guess the ABC does not have the technology to do a three-way split of the News Radio signal?

A interesting thing Sunday Night- 2UE has the Swans match, while 2SM has NRL.

3AW is broadcasting this afternoon’s AFLW Grand Final between the Bulldogs and the Lions from Ikon Park under the AFL Nation brand. Shane McInnes and Tristan Foenander lead the call.
The ABC commentary team for the match was Kelli Underwood, Corbin Middlemas, Chyloe Kurdas, Nathan Burke and Joel Peterson.

1 Like

Joel Peterson was on the boundary for ABC Grandstand, according to his twitter account he’s joined Grandstand to do a mix of calling and boundary riding. He’s been calling local footy in Bendigo.

Lehmo and Angela Pippos also did a brief pregame show.