AFL Coverage

Hope for Howie’s sake that the traffic from the GP next weekend on Friday isn’t too heavy…

Why? Triple M have short memories. He would be as popular as cot death after that controversy with two timing his best friend.

Two additions to ABC Radio’s AFL commentary team this year: Carlton AFLW captain Lauren Arnell will provide special comments on Saturday night match in Melbourne, working alongside Kelli Underwood and Alister Nicholson. ABC Radio Perth breakfast host Peter Bell has also joined the team on a part-time basis.

I thought that Alister Nicholson was going to work with Gerard Whateley this season.

I don’t think Mark Howard ever called games for Ten did he?

They may still call matches together this season depending on timeslot.

I think Mark Howard was boundary reporter during Ten’s AFL coverage.

Round 1 coverage details

Crocmedia

Source: AFL Nation Facebook
If I understand the rights agreement correctly, 2SM and the SRN/BOG stations will take Sydney V Port Adelaide & Adelaide V GWS. I think 2UE/Talking Lifestyle Sydney is supposed to take the Swans games but not sure about GWS. 4BH/Talking Lifestyle 882 Brisbane should be taking Gold Coast V Brisbane.

Sunday afternoon could be interesting. In previous years if Crocmedia took two Sunday games, the first was their own production and the second was a joint Crocmedia/SEN production which they would usually crash in to mid-game. Given that they have complete control this year, I wonder if the commentators at Adelaide V GWS will pause to allow a clean join for stations following the North Melbourne V West Coast (as SEN did for their own station in those joint venture games in previous years). I’m also curious to see if Crocmedia have an extra stream on the AFL website to handle having multiple broadcasts running simultaneously.

I haven’t found an announcement of the call team for the AFLW grand final yet.

SEN

Source: SEN website
Sunday is very loud with David Schwarz followed by Tim Gossage.

SEN have Matt Granland & Brett Phillips calling the AFLW grand final, with special comments from Elise O’Dea.

I have not found details for 3AW, Triple M, 5AA or 6PR yet, but I believe this week sees the start of Rex Hunt’s Footy Nightline on 3AW.

ABC does the same thing when there is a 2.10pm game and a 4.40pm game- they’ll crash into the 4.40pm match mid-game. Most Sundays though there is a clean break between 1.10pm and 4.40pm games

Here is Triple M coverage for this round (found the link at Triple M thread):
Thursday 23 March - Carlton v Richmond
Brian Taylor, Mark Howard, Nathan Brown, Luke Hodge, Michael Roberts, Ash Chua
Friday 24 March - Collingwood v Western Bulldogs
Luke Darcy, Mark Howard, Chris Judd, Nathan Brown, Damian Barrett, Neroli Meadows, Dr Rohan White, Ash Chua
Saturday 25 March - Sydney v Port Adelaide
Chris Dittmar, Brad Seymour, Jude Bolton, Troy Luff
Saturday 25 March - St Kilda v Melbourne
James Brayshaw, Brian Taylor, Wayne Carey, Neroli Meadows, Dr Rohan White, Ash Chua
Saturday 25 March - Gold Coast v Brisbane Lions
Sam Hargreaves, Richard Champion, Peter Everitt, Simon Black, Belinda Mellen
Saturday 25 March - Essendon v Hawthorn
Wayne Schwass, Barry Denner, Nathan Brown, Michael Roberts
Sunday 26 March - North Melbourne v West Coast
Barry Denner, Ewan Giles, Brendan Fevola, Michael Roberts
Sunday 26 March - Adelaide v GWS
Wayne Schwass, Dale Lewis, Wayne Carey, Paul Roos, Jay Clark, Rhett Biglands, Ash Chua
Sunday 26 March - Fremantle v Geelong
Dennis Cometti, Lachy Reid, Andrew Embley, Tania Armstrong

Also:
Saturday 25 March - Brisbane Lions v Adelaide (AFL Women’s Grand Final)
Sam Hargreaves, Richard Champion, Simon Black, Belinda Mellen

Triple M will broadcast the Crows-GWS game into Melbourne as per the broadcast agreement instead of Kangaroos v Eagles. It will also broadcast Swans v Port in Sydney on FM and Crows v GWS on digital radio.

Strange thing is that Crocmedia is not covering Fremantle v Geelong, leaving it to individual stations.

3AW is also covering the game in Adelaide for the same reason. That’s because ABC has the Kangaroos v Eagles match.

Has Rex left Crocmedia? I note on the AFL Nation twitter page that he is not pictured as part of the commentary team in the banner up the top.

I think he’s doing a Sunday evening post-game show on AW

Rex Hunt is actually hosting a Friday night post-game show on 3AW called Footy Nightline.

I thought Rex’s 3AW show was going to be Friday and Saturday nights? I could be wrong and I’m too tired to find the press release.

I guess Rex will be happy he no longer has those early Saturday starts which he had when he was with Crocmedia, so he can now go fishing instead of talking about fishing. His 7am fishing show “Off The Hook” was replaced by an outdoors show with Merv Hughes back in January if memory serves.

I’ll miss Rex calling the footy, but as a Dogs fan I’m also happy that his last game was the Doggies winning the grand final as it makes it an even more special memory.

My favorite Rex moment was the Leo Barry mark in the Grand Final. I know everyone has heard Quartermain’s call on Ten, but Rex and Clinton Grybas did just as goo dof a job.

Retired North Melbourne star and AFL games record holder Brent Harvey has joined ABC Radio’s commentary team on a full time basis, replacing Jimmy Bartel who defected to 3AW.
Kelli Underwood will host a new AFL review show called The Sunday Sessions from midday to 1pm AEDT on ABC Radio across Victoria.

The first show is tonight after the season opener between Carlton and Richmond. It started after the 11pm news and will run until midnight.
EDIT: Rex said during tonight’s premiere that his show Footy Nightline would air every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night after 3AW’s AFL broadcast.

I noticed on their Triple M AFL schedule & AFL Broadcast Guide that Mix 106.3 in Canberra will be covering the GWS Giants matches from this season.

Elsewhere, according to the same above links, Triple M in Coffs Harbour & Port Macquarie will be covering the Swans matches, along with 2GO on the Central Coast, who started doing it last year. Triple M in Regional QLD, including 4TO in Townsville, will be covering the Lions matches.

Karl Langdon calling tonight’s Essendon v Hawthorn with Michael Christian for 3AW with special comments from Mark Bickley and Matthew Lloyd. Langdon is in town for 6PR’s coverage of Sunday’s clash between North Melbourne and West Coast. Don’t rule out future guest stint for Langdon on Saturday nights if the Eagles or the Dockers play in Melbourne on Sundays.

Interesting flicking between TL and 2SM in the lead up to the changeover of the AFL Nation call.

Just before 7:30pm both stations went to a break. When they returned AFL Nation was then on 2SM. No crossover which was interesting to hear.

Is this the first time two stations have taken the same branded show?

Also interesting to hear the 3AW/former 2UE & 4BC voiceover on 2SM during their Sportsday program.

Drury Forbes called Sydney v Port Adelaide for ABC Radio. His Twitter account lists him as sports commentator / TV presenter. So the ABC is trying another commentator for matches played in Sydney.