AFL Coverage

Can’t believe Triple M in Sydney are taking the live call of tonight’s women’s AFL match. The game is not even featuring a Sydney team lol.

2 Likes

Yuck. Pointless to have that shit being called in Sydney

Nathan G Brown (Judas according to many of us Bulldog fans) has seemingly returned to MMM from AW.

The preseason competition starts tonight. Crocmedia’s AFL Nation has a post on Facebook with the callers and stations for the weekend, and it looks like Crocmedia are producing the coverage for a number of metro stations. Notably, calls which involve either 3AW or SEN seem to use a combination of Crocmedia and the metro station’s talent.

Very noteworty on that list is that Crocmedia are producing a different version of Saturday twilight for 3AW and SEN, with the SEN version going out to FiveAA instead of the 3AW version!

Some stations are producing their own calls however. Tonight’s Essendon V Collingwood game is also on Triple M, 3AW and SEN in Melbourne. If this is a taste of what we can expect during the normal AFL season, it is going to be an interesting mixture of own-production and Crocmedia-production games on the metros.

If my understanding of the new rights agreement is correct, the regional stations are allowed to leave their streams on during games this year (but then other information indicates that might just be the Triple M regionals) so it will be interesting to see if any do…and if so, whether AFL.com.au will still run their own streams or just embed streams from the various stations.

Neither 3AW or Triple M have put a commentary list on their websites that I can find (admittedly, it was a quick search so I may have missed it). SEN have though, and it provides a glimpse in to the possible future.

It is already known that SEN have the rights to every timeslot, with Twilight games during the regular season being sourced from Crocmedia. It would seem, based on this week, that games played outside of Melbourne or Tasmania in timeslots which SEN have broadcast rights may also be sourced from Crocmedia in most cases.

Based on this, it will be interesting to see whether 3AW will be permitted to continue to source calls from 6PR, and how often Crocmedia may have to produce multiple calls of a game to prevent the same commentary being heard on multiple stations in a market.

@SamuelGS
Looks like ABC Grandstand have lost some special comments people from last season with Chris Connolly, Tadhg Kenneley and Nic Dal Santo appearing at SEN or Crocmedia.

@Frankie
Indeed. Chris and Nic both did some work for Crocmedia last year though, so perhaps they will continue to work for both.

And all station streams are on. It seems that all stations are allowed to keep their streaming going during matches. AFL.com.au continues with the same Telstra-run streams relaying each broadcaster as last year.

2 Likes

The only game MMM covered this week was the Thursday night game, covered by Howard, Schwass and N.Brown which will probably be the main Melbourne based Saturday Night lineup (whenever Howard isn’t off doing Caribbean Premier League cricket).

Callers for JLT Community Series week 2 on AFL Nation

Matt Granland and David Schwarz will commentate the St Kilda-Port Adelaide match for SEN.

Callers for JLT Community Series week 3 on AFL Nation
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p370x247/16864819_1335005529879395_5971778922166645741_n.jpg?oh=6570dbe7ff8190ca5b66fb1e323f874f&oe=593F2CE7

Matt Granland, Brett Phillips and Cameron Mooney will call tonight’s Western Bulldogs v Brisbane match for SEN.
Interestingly Triple M will broadcast Giants v Swans tomorrow night into Melbourne, instead of the NRL clash between the Bulldogs and the Storm from Sydney (kick off 6pm).

Not that interesting, Triple M Melbourne never air NRL unless it’s Monday night involving the Storm. Almost no one in Melbourne cares about NRL, even less than the number of people in Sydney who care about AFL.

1 Like

But this timeslot IS basically last year’s Monday Night game, and they’re taking a game between 2 non-Melbourne teams that isn’t even being broadcast into Sydney (from what I’m aware).

Maybe because the Sydney Swans (AKA South Melbourne) have been around for a lot longer & the AFL have been much better at promoting/actively encouraging AFL acrosa NSW & QLD the past couple of decades?

NRL are still non-existant in South Australia & WA, also pulling awful (~7k audiences sometimes) in Melbourne, which is even lower than Perth occasionally) :confused:

1 Like

Callers for final week of JLT Community Series on AFL Nation
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17190692_1341753345871280_1856367574383654478_n.jpg?oh=16d64ff642339bd1b985253653b1f555&oe=596E17FB

Nat Edwards is joining 3AW commentary team this year in addition to her regular job as AFL Media reporter. The station had its season launch at Melbourne’s Eureka Skydeck on Wednesday.

No Tim Gossage this year for SEN?

Back on January 28 he seemed to think he would be. I suppose he just isn’t for the preseason.

Even as a Doggies supporter I enjoy hearing Tim get very excited about Nic Naitanui marking the ball. Sometimes he gets so loud and excited that I think I could probably hear him all the way over here in Canberra by simply opening the window!

1 Like

James Brayshaw has lost his spot on Triple M’s commentary team for Friday night matches. He will be replaced by Ten’s Mark Howard, joining Luke Darcy, and a rotation of special commentary from Chris Judd, Nick Riewoldt, Luke Hodge and Leigh Montagna. Damian Barrett and Neroli Meadows will also be part of the team (she used to be boundary reporter for ABC Radio’s coverage). Brayshaw and Brian Taylor will call a Saturday afternoon match with special comments from Wayne Carey. Jason Dunstall’s role will be reduced this season due to his increased workload with Fox Footy.

How do you know that JB is not doing FNF?

It’s from the Herald Sun: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/james-brayshaw-no-longer-part-of-triple-ms-friday-night-commentary-team/news-story/e9f1e9d7034acb43a1c26d07832e2e17

According to Radio Today, Crocmedia has revealed its AFL Nation (formerly AFL Live) commentary team for 2017: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/afl-nation-call-hit-over-240-frequencies