AFL broadcast rights 2025-2031

I don’t think you can draw current day conclusions about coverage from when they had the rights nearly 20 years ago.

The biggest factor will be that the cost of getting the rights will mean any successful bidder will need to slash the costs on actually producing the matches.

8 Likes

But how many streamers is that?

One and its only during the Christmas period.

That is more reasonable. If fans had to pay for 2 services here that would cost a fan around $400 a year to have access to every game. Which I think is totally unreasonable.

Also worth noting that in the UK that whilst fragmentation has and is occurring, Sky is still showing roughly the same number of EPL matches as it was two decades ago.

The fragmentation there is enabling more matches to be shown locally by encouraging matches to be scheduled outside of the moronic Saturday afternoon blackout period.

In the AFL obviously, there aren’t non-televised matches that would benefit from this and therefore it’s a tougher, though not impossible, sell to the fans.

Yes, we know, you and Super SC are obsessed with mentioning it in every second post.

10 Likes

That’s what they all said. They didn’t do a great job at all, 10 was far superior back at the time.

6 Likes

There’s going to be a twist here. I’m just speculating here, but I think there will be a package with one of the streaming services (or even offered by the AFL themselves or via club membership) that will allow you to pay a nominal subscription fee that gives you just your teams games, regardless of who the host broadcaster is.

It won’t be every game, true, you will need to subscribe to multiple streaming services for that. But for the average fan who just wants to watch their team maybe that will be a profitable package for some fans.

1 Like

Yeah this feels like a natural step forward like MLB tv and NBA etc - however do they have the depth/quantity of content to justify? Easy when your NBA team is playing 3 times a week, selling a ‘Demons’ deal (for example) based on a H&A season might not be as financially viable.

4 Likes

Anyone but Stan/Nine.

1 Like

While the vast majority (if not all) of the games are easily accessible via some broadcast means, it makes it hard to see the viability unless they back it with some significant non-match content. Services like MLB/NBA/NFL TV ensure fans get guaranteed access to watching their team play.

2 Likes

I’m the opposite of this

1 Like

They don’t tho domestically. You have to watch via the traditional broadcaster. They have the exclusive rights.

Services like League pass and NBA TV are only for out of market games.

1 Like

Either 9/Stan or 10/Paramount

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t think blackout would work here - but if you could pay Kayo to watch all of one team’s games and take what you get elsewhere FTA I imagine it might be compelling…maybe?

2 Likes

Sane U would rather stan/nine than 7/kayo or 10/paramount.

Will further legitimise Stan Sport and the likelihood of them keeping the tennis majors is more likely (unless they spend too much I guess).

We finally have decent coverage of the tennis majors in Australia.

But would also be good to see a refresh from Seven/Fox as far as AFL goes.

It’s interesting to follow though nonetheless…

The blackout period was introduced to allow state league’s and amateurs to play their game and therefore maximise the crowds at AFL games on a Saturday night, or Sundays or other time spots.

What happened was a little thing, called covid. Which has seen a reduction in crowds across the board.

The blackout will continue with or without new TV coverages, as they are looking for Prime time coverage to maximise eyes watching.

The blackout I was referring to is in the UK which prevents live football from being broadcast locally from just before 3pm to just after 5pm on Saturdays; nothing to do with the AFL.

Was just pointing out how the fragmentation of the EPL rights is far more palatable in the UK as it is helping drag fixtures out of that non televisable time-slot.

4 Likes

Ahhh gotcha. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :+1:

2 Likes