AFL broadcast rights 2025-2031

How?

Yes they have even run stories that were anti horse racing before they got the rights.

I don’t see the AFL giving Fox exclusive matches during the finals series

1 Like

Technically, the anti-siphoning laws encompasses every single game of the AFL season so even the current arrangement is below the legislated minimum (even though every game being shown on FTA would never happen).

3 Likes

Developments from Tom Browne today on Triple M:

• Talks ramped up on Friday. The AFL met with the bidders throughout the day, including Fox and Seven in the afternoon
  • Stan and Nine are interested in streaming rights, (the AFL met with them on Friday morning)
8 Likes

When did they meet with 10 on Friday?

Tom didn’t mention that specifically, but we can only assume Gillon McLachlan met with 10/Paramount at some point that day.

2 Likes

It’s interesting that only small tidbits have been revealed and there hasn’t been wholesale leaks about the process. Let’s hope they’re actually conducting this as professionally as perceived.

Wholesale changes are needed to the rights deal for the AFL to both grow and regain the lost fans.

1 Like

Interesting. If 9 do get rights, I assume it will be on the main channel in Melbourne and Adelaide and NRL on 9Gem, and vice versa.

It seems that all the commercials/Foxtel and Amazon want rights, I hope 9/Stan or 10/Paramount get rights but unfortunately I think it will be 7/Foxtel.

2 Likes

Doesn’t sound like 9 are interest in the FTA rights and only the streaming rights for Stan.

1 Like

It would be a massive get for Stan Sport and probably the biggest thing they could get to drive subs to the Sports service.

2 Likes

I would like to see Channel Nine get the rights to the AFL. Nine hasn’t broadcasted the AFL since 2006. But it would be great if Channel Nine regain the AFL rights to the AFL. However, their problem is Friday Nights for Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. Their ratings have been a basketcase.
With Stan Sport coming along, it will help boost subscription numbers to its service.

1 Like

In Nine’s situation - I think the package it’s implied that the AFL have put together to tempt Netflix/Amazon might be perfect for them - if it’s like 1 game a round or similar with exclusivity, it might be a good fit.

Not sure if they put it on Nine or Stan, would depend exactly how many games are in that package.

Can’t see them going for the full thing.

3 Likes

I imagine traditional broadcast is still the far more expensive option, also maybe not wanting to go head-to-head with Seven for that (as they’ve recently paid for NRL) and knowing how desperate Seven are for it.

–

For all networks also wonder how the negotiations are going (if they’ve even started - maybe all parties waiting for the AFL’s to conclude) for the tennis, cricket, Olympics and Melbourne Cup carnival?

Don’t think the AFL have lost any fans due to rights. Rule changes and perhaps cost at the game yes, but not broadcast rights.

4 Likes

By reading things from above, it looks like 7 & Fox will retain the rights with maybe Paramount or Stan or Amazon getting streaming of 1 game per round or something

How annoying is it going to be to need to join two streaming services… I really hope this doesn’t happen!

4 Likes

If Nine is to regain the AFL rights, I reckon the biggest losers will be fans in NSW, ACT and QLD, with Nine prioritising NRL and Super Rugby in promotions and programming ahead of the AFL. The impact in NT is another question because both NRL and AFL are popular in the region.

1 Like

Fragmentation of sports rights will probably happen more in the future than people have been used to as a result of all the various outlets/platforms competing for rights. The Premier League is a good example of that with live rights in the UK being split between Sky, BT and Amazon Prime.

1 Like

Nine will be good. They last aired footy between 2002 and 2006 which they did a good job.

3 Likes