AFL broadcast rights 2025-2031

FTA won’t like going back to the bad old days of sport on delay. More so as so much gambling advertising relies on live sporting coverage.

So the choice could be watch it live as is or
Watch it on delay without gambling advertising… tempting

1 Like

Communications Minister Michelle Rowland asked the AFL Commission to keep matches freely available amid an ongoing review of laws designed to keep major sporting and cultural events free for the public. The comments, which are highly unusual from a federal government, could delay or significantly alter where AFL games are aired and how much money the sport receives.

“I note reports AFL media rights negotiations have entered their final stages,” Rowland said. “I encourage the AFL Commission and its broadcast and streaming partners to ensure there is no diminution in the availability of AFL matches on free-to-air television under the new deal.”

4 Likes

They’ve hardly “intervened”.

Legislative changes and enforcement of the anti-siphoning list would be a more productive intervention.

7 Likes

If the new government is serious, beef up the anti siphoning laws. All a strongly worded letter is going to do is end up in the shredding bin.

At the moment every game is supposedly protected yet due to the loopholes in the laws we have roughly 2/3rds of games on pay TV only.
An amendment closing these loopholes and extending them to cover IP based services, in return for establishing a minimum number of games per week (3 or 4) that must be available free to air would be a fair compromise in my view.
The current laws in their present state are pretty useless as we have seen especially with cricket.

Ideally, I’d also like to see some form of ‘must carry’ legislation introduced that eliminates the practice of blocking rights on certain platforms such as the current situation with AFL and Cricket on 7. It’s 2022, a lot of people are primarily using IP based services for TV delivery and it’s increasingly illogical to discriminate against these viewers solely based on the platform they use to access TV services.

3 Likes

A statement from Seven West Media

Seven West Media (ASX: SWM) welcomed the statement today from Minister for Communications, The Hon Michelle Rowland MP, on AFL media rights. SWM Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, James Warburton, said: “As a proud, Australian-owned free-to-air television network, Seven welcomes Minister Rowland’s statement today, which backs up the Albanese Government’s stance on the issue of antisiphoning prior to the federal election. “Seven will continue to fight fiercely to ensure all Australians can watch the sports they love live and free.”

1 Like

:boxing_glove::eyes: ding ding

Sounds like Foxtel won’t go down without a fight.

3 Likes

The more Seven and Fox end up squabbling among themselves, surely this has to eventually dent the AFL’s confidence in their ongoing suitability as broadcast partners.
That’s one big benefit of the rival bid (aside from the free cake)- the rights are all under one roof and you’re not continually negotiating with two separate, rival businesses who each want what is solely in their own best interest.

6 Likes

From Free TV Australia

Free TV acknowledges Minister Rowland’s Statement on Live and Free Sport on TV

Free TV acknowledges Minister Michelle Rowland’s statement today on the need for socially and culturally significant sporting events to remain live and free on the televisions of all Australians.

Free TV Chairman, Greg Hywood said “Live and free sport on television is a fundamental part of the Australian way of life. It remains the great social connector of our times, allowing Australians from all walks of life to share in the same moments together.

“Being able to watch your favourite sporting team live and free on TV without having to pay subscription fees or worry about your data usage or your internet reliability is very important for most Australians,” Mr Hywood said.

Free TV CEO, Bridget Fair said “The Minister’s statement today clearly shows that the Government understands the connection between the standard of living enjoyed by Australians and their access to iconic sporting events, equally available to all of us, live and free.

“Research released by Free TV in February 2022 revealed strong support for commercial television services across the community:

1. 78% of Australians agree that reliable free-to-air television services are crucial, especially for those without strong internet;
  2. 76% of Australians agree that free-to-air television ensures Australians have access to iconic sporting events; and
  3. 72% of Australians agree that free-to-air television allows access to television without straining budgets.

“What the Government highlighted in their statement today is that there is a real risk of iconic sports events being exclusively acquired by subscription platforms.

“We strongly agree with the Government’s commitment to updating the current anti-siphoning rules, which are 30 years old and only cover free-to-air and pay TV.

“These are analog rules in a digital world, and we look forward to working with the Government to renew the anti-siphoning list and expand it to cover all subscription platforms so that all Australians can continue to enjoy live sport on their TVs, free and for everyone,” Ms Fair said.

1 Like

Fourth quarter only, and a highlights package?

7 Likes

Totally agree.

The last two days it’s been very quiet from all camps.

Not sure why the AFL think this is good practice to go back and forth with Seven and Fox to change their bids etc.

Surly Ten are asking that question to the AFL? I know I would be asking if I were in that position.

6 Likes

Surely Seven wouldn’t considering banking on Fox for the long term future? Sooner or later they need to cut them loose and go solo and the only way they could afford it is if they have a SVOD to themselves.

Surely Seven have learnt the lesson that Fox shouldn’t be trusted in any way with sports deal after the debacle that is the cricket rights deal?

This comment makes no sense. You’re speaking as if Fox manipulated Seven into signing a deal and that Fox are an unstable organisation. The deal is only a debacle because Seven have turned it into one. They knew what they were signing up for. Fox have produced high-quality cricket coverage - they haven’t done anything wrong.

4 Likes

Fox and Cricket Australia did because they wanted exclusivity behind a paywall which is illegal but they managed to find a loophole and coerced Seven into doing it. Not saying Seven is without fault for doing it (and for whining about it afterwards) but there was virtually no option for exclusivity after Fox and CA screwed everything over so it’s their fault too.

News Corp might have more money but the AFL needs to consider what is it that they want: Reach, longevity or money. People might want Fox to have the rights because apparently they spend money and do a ‘good job’ at it but what’s to say other networks won’t if given an opportunity?

5 Likes

Serious question here let’s just say AFL went to a streamer or to Foxtel permanently. What of those things do people think would be affected?

I actually think the AFL has enough pull that people would pay for it.

Disagree. Times are tough right now and a lot of people may not be able to shell out $25p/m (Kayo).

Also the older generation who aren’t tech savvy and don’t have smart TVs etc would be left in the dark.

5 Likes

Being of the “older generation” you speak of I am pretty tech savvy and my TV is very smart (one of the latest LG models)! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Seriously this older generation “stuff” is a major generalisation. Also I will go without whatever to watch my Demons play each week. I have Kayo on a special deal from Telstra for $15. It sometimes pays to be from the older generation and “play” the cranky old pensioner and get special deals. :slightly_smiling_face:

Agree 100%. Although I do agree times are tough for many people.

2 Likes

My grandparents are in their 80s and don’t even have internet, nor a smart phone. A lot of older relatives I know who are in their late 60s and 70s aren’t tech savvy and don’t use streaming services.

But in the end it’s up to what the AFL finds important for profitability given that these people are definitely falling into a smaller niche now.

5 Likes

That was a factor I was thinking of as well, speaking from personal appearance. My Nanna in her 90s loved watching the footy for years, from either her house or at the aged care facility she moved into in her later life.

Before she passed away, I used to visit her often during weekends, and the TV there in a seating room always had the footy on.

Yes, aged care facilities can opt for Foxtel or other services to remedy that, but for others it isn’t so accessible to do so.

1 Like

Fair enough but I know lots of late 60’s and 70’s who are.

3 Likes