AFL broadcast rights 2025-2031

This report from Tom Browne on Seven News Melbourne this evening has an update on the AFL broadcast rights negotiations. It mentions approval from the AFL Players Association will be needed to have each team to have more than one 5 day break each season.

4 Likes

With the AFLW, I’m pretty sure 7 had full match replays available on 7+ but I doubt that would be the case with the AFL because of Kayo

1 Like

23 Thursday games makes so much sense.
9 wants Thursday night as a pkg.
That could leave 7 and 7 plus with Friday, Sunday, marquee games and finals. And Fox/Kayo with Super Saturday.

1 Like

9Now and Kayo both have replays available of the free to air NRL games

1 Like

Just wondering, if this is part of the new agreement & 7 also gets 7+. Which broadcast would the AFL use for their highlights, match replays, social media etc?

That would have to be determined: whoever has the main digital rights. Presumably that would be Fox/Kayo.

Who does the NRL take?

Because if 7 & Fox are chosen again in the new AFL deal, it would been similar to what the NRL has in terms of streaming on 9Now & Fox having their own commentary.

I assume AFL would do the same as the NRL for the highlights etc.

1 Like

At the moment, if Nine produces Thursday night, Friday night and Sunday afternoon matches, then the NRL will use their matches for highlights and match replays. The NRL will use Fox-produced matches (especially Super Saturday) for highlights and match replays.

5 Likes

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/tens-afl-rights-bid-falls-flat/news-story/e03fa476f5961b433aab4f18c63687a3

Network Ten has lobbed a bid of less than $500m a year for the AFL broadcast rights, a figure seen by the governing body as underwhelming – putting Foxtel and Seven West Media in the box seat to clinch an extension to their existing contract.

3 Likes

Says Foxtel and the Murdoch press…

7 Likes
1 Like

John Stensholt is a reputable reporter so I wouldn’t completely dismiss the report out of hand (how much grain of salt you take it though is a whole other matter).

Having said that, his explanation about how the anti-siphoning list works in relation to the AFL is woefully inaccurate.

2 Likes

So if he was that good, he would have got the basics correct? This sounds like it has more spin than all Australian Spin bowlers who have worn the baggy green!!

1 Like

The Australian running that disinformation campaign. How would they know what bid was put in when they got it wrong before when they said 10/P $600m bid and then they didn’t bid at all.

1 Like

which is it The Australian $600m $500m or $0. It seems like The Australian has “plucked” out the numbers out of thin air.

The tone may be more amicable than News’ reporting of the rugby negotiations a few years ago, but the layout of their demands and denigration of rival bids is eerily similar imo.

Personally I don’t think we’d be seeing this kind of article if News weren’t in a real fight to retain the rights. That’s not to say they won’t get them, but I think there may be a smidge of concern.

1 Like

I may be missing something, but over 5 or 6 years, say it’s bang on $500m per year, wouldn’t that get the AFL that record $3b or certainly over $2.5b which they’re reportedly looking for? And from one company not a combined/consortium (not that means anything though).

I think you’re quite right. If things were going well you’d be silent and let them play out and then make a triumphant announcement.

If things are less certain, News Corp panic and threaten and play things out through their various outlets to muddy the waters, confuse people, obfuscate and derail any other negotiations by others. They’re a very unethical and corrupt organization.

5 Likes

A little confused, wasn’t a lower bid than the previous speculated $600m expected to be the case based on the previous Sydney Morning Herald article?

However, the sources, who requested anonymity because talks are confidential, say expectations the AFL could fetch $600 million per annum, or $3 billion over five years, for the rights are now fading. Media companies are facing an uncertain economy and a raft of key content deals, including with US studio NBCUniversal, as well as tennis and cricket rights, which are being sold over the next two years.

2 Likes

And the only dollar amounts we are hearing from News relate solely to Ten’s bid, something I find unusual given that surely it would be more likely for them to obtain their own employer’s offers.

At best it’s coincidental (it’s not), and at worst it’s a calculated campaign (it is), but either way you don’t focus on a rival bid to the extent they are if there isn’t at least some legitimacy to it imo.

5 Likes