AFL broadcast rights 2025-2031

So basically a confirmed Seven/Fox deal. Sad.

not true until the fat lady sings.

6 Likes

Yes I was about to say… the fuckwits at the Australian are the ones who reported the alleged 10 bid and now they are saying they haven’t bid.

This is all speculation. If the AFL only ever intend on having one intended outcome then they’re negligent at best in any face value negotiations.

10 always remain tight lipped as opposed to seven and fox. This is all a mess. Sounds like if they go with the same existing deal it will be an abject failure by the AFL.

I think it’ll go to 10/P+ The Age said they submitted a $3bn bid after Gil met with Paramount executives

2 Likes

Will the correct information please stand up? :raising_hand_man:t3:

I’m not exactly siding with their perspective, but it seems evident there are conflicting sources.

8 Likes

Not necessarily

The Australian reported the information they had at the time - if the new information in the latest article is to be believed, the source of that original information may have in fact been the AFL.

I don’t think this one is quite over yet - if the 10/P+ “offer” was used by the AFL to try and drive up other bids, then the news about Fox wanting greater exclusivity in SA/WA fits a push to extract a better deal.

2 Likes

Just read the article - struck me as a run of the mill article from News, transparently pushing News’ agenda.

ie. Stop dicking us around and get the deal sorted. Stop negotiating with 10. Don’t let Seven show all WA/SA team matches. We’ll lower our bid if any of those happen.

Was one unnamed source too without quoting anyone from a different organisation.

And it did occur to me that perhaps it’s less likely that you would push out an article like this if things were going perfectly for you at the negotiating table.

4 Likes

By the looks of it, The Age/SMH have had writers on the AFL beat cover this story, whilst The Australian have used their media reporters. That may have something to do with the type of information that is coming out.

As much as I am hoping for a change of scenery (and that I’m wrong about this), this has always had a feeling of inevitability that Seven/Fox are going to end up with it again. That being said, I don’t buy the reports that 10 never submitted a bid all along, and there’s still every chance there’s a late bidding war.

However, lets say that 10 have had a very sudden change of heart for some reason - how much would all this bluster from News Corp and especially SWM have played a part in such a thing happening? SWM have orchestrated an extremely noisy campaign in the last week (even in yesterday’s Sunday Times, they were still writing opinion pieces on this) which has had a somewhat threatening tone towards the AFL. Whilst this is really not surprising, it does show just how hostile Seven are now towards sporting organisations, which in my opinion is completely unnecessary and very, very unprofessional.

4 Likes

If Foxtel games for Adelaide and Perth teams were to be shown exclusively, would this mean teams in those cities would get more games produced by Seven?

2 Likes

I’ve wondered this too and surely it would, which isn’t a great thing for Victorian club fans or Seven.

2 Likes

The AFL draw would have to be manicured to favour SA and WA teams. Could see more Showdowns and Derbies on Seven plus games against big drawing Victorian clubs, Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond, Hawthorn and Melbourne.

Why would it have to be ‘manicured’? Unless they want national FTA coverage. The current deal shows Fox’s coverage on Seven in those states only and works well enough.

1 Like

I echo @Jeffmister’s comment from yesterday and feel it is highly unlikely that all WA/SA games would suddenly be FTA only due to the recent commentary.

It’s a given that some WA/SA games would be for streaming only like the current deal, but there was concern that most, if not all games would be exclusive there only.

Agreed, especially given their recent tension with Cricket Australia.

1 Like

Seven are only hostile towards sporting organisations (AFL and Cricket Australia) if aspects of their broadcast deals don’t go their way.

3 Likes

From tonight’s Media Watch.

8 Likes
3 Likes

Typical greedy Fox.

Hopefully 10/Paramount can swoop over instead. Maybe even Seven can find a new partner for the rights.

9 Likes

Wanting super Saturday is a travesty. They’re trying to fuck the AFL over with these demands. It’s really getting ridiculous.

4 Likes

The only part of that I agree with is Fox wanting to use their own commentators, more choice is good especially as Seven’s commentary these days is pretty dire at times.

2 Likes

Ugh. Personally don’t care if Fox do their own commentary, but the Super Saturday idea should be dealt with with contempt by the AFL.

5 Likes