AFL broadcast rights 2025-2031

It only happened from the start of this season. In the past, Seven would have shown the entire match on the main channel and aired the news at half time.

1 Like

Correct, they don’t want to concede losing the local news ratings to NWS9, who still have an Hour bulletin on the weekend. A very inconvenient decision which annoys all viewers I’ve spoken to, especially the interruptions during Live play.

2 Likes

It could by 10/paramounts way in though. If they could promise live FTA access for all teams outside of Victoria it’s a big sell to the AFL.

3 Likes

So it seems that the directive from Seven has gone to all, this on sunrise this morning and News has now taken aim.

Ding, that’s my popcorn as Fox and Seven go off at each other!

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/david-koch-takes-a-swipe-at-football-tv-rumour-in-live-segment/news-story/98acd9b1ef11bf23237101138f4b6346

1 Like

Would the AFL even want to go with 7 & Foxtel if they’re very publically fighting each other? Surely not the best look?

2 Likes

Don’t think the AFL would care as long as Fox and Seven are willing to work with each other, and that just depends on how deep the issue/s between them are. The SA/WA stuff on it’s own isn’t big enough for either to walk away from the other you would think.

3 Likes

Wasn’t it the SA/WA part of the deal that made Fox hesitant or late to sign the mini extension during covid? I think 7 signed the extension 1st then Fox but they wanted more exclusive games in those states.

2 Likes

10/P is more appealing. A change in broadcasters like the Rugby and tennis rights with 9/Stan

3 Likes

Possibly - can’t remember. My point more-so was that retaining the AFL for Seven and Fox will trump an argument about Fox getting some exclusive WA/SA team matches. Maybe Fox or Seven will be hesitant again, but if it lets them keep the rights, they’ll do it.

Would be interesting if 10/P+ offered more money and showed those matches on FTA in WA/SA (and I suspect more than 3.5 matches/ week on FTA generally) and the AFL still went with 7/Fox. There’d be a riot I reckon.

ape-escape-ape-escape2

And still another month or two away from the announcement…

3 Likes

What we’re seeing playing out is standard rights negotiation agenda pushing/spin/BS. Its no different to what happened with the Paramount+/10 push recently.

2 Likes

Any idea as to what The Australian has said about the media broadcast rights. I haven’t got access to view the article. Just came out a few minutes ago.

If anyone can read it

I can’t read it but it looks like a news corp hit piece to drive down the value of the rights based on the first two sentences.

is NewsCorp getting cold feet because of all the backlash this week about people having to fork out money to watch their team on TV.

I doubt it’s cold feet. I think it’s fear and veiled threats to the AFL that it won’t get a large rights fee if they can’t get the WA and SA games live and exclusive.

I hate that in Australia our sports rights negotiations are played out in the media. This doesn’t happen elsewhere. Sports companies seem to be beholden to News Corp and are scared of being destroyed by them. This is just appalling management and really does the sports fans a disservice.

2 Likes

The article makes the following points:

• Gillon McLachlan is committed to inking the next broadcast deal before the end of August
  • The shift in the broadcasting landscape and softening economic conditions means it’s increasingly likely the league will have to sell the rights for less than initially thought
  • The Australian understands that Ten never made a formal offer for the rights (which was reported to be a $600m a year deal). A Ten spokeswoman declined to comment.
  • Rather, the AFL used Ten’s rumoured interest as a ‘stalking horse’, to drive up Seven and Foxtel’s bid
  • Last weeks campaign by West Coast Chief Executive Trevor Nisbett, Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir, WA premier Mark McGowan, and Seven owned newspaper The West Australian, to ensure matches involving WA clubs are shown exclusively on FTA, raised eyebrows in the media industry
  • Should AFL matches involving WA and SA teams be exclusively shown on FTA, the value of the rights will almost certainly fail to meet the ambitious targets of the AFL’s executives - and this scenario also affects the financial bottom line of all AFL clubs who rely on revenue from broadcast rights
4 Likes

That’s highly unlikely to happen. As such, any and all speculation about that is probably meaningless.

3 Likes

wonder why 10 never bid for the AFL, when they should be trying to get as many sports as they can when they come up for renewal.

Seems a little contradicting?

Then again, The Australian originally published this previous article, so who knows. But then there’s the TV Tonight article?

…which again quotes The Australian. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Although, not to mention The Age article, they would have had to obtain this information from somewhere:

2 Likes