ACE Radio (Regional)

In the Albury newspaper The Border Mail this morning

97421057_3018887771510254_4551099319964401664_n (1)

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing.

I’m certain the duo in afternoons will last the remainder of the contract (but no longer).

1 Like

What I don’t really understand is why? For good reason breakfast is the flagship shift for almost every radio station, with 1-3 being much quieter as everyone is busy working or doing whatever they do. It doesn’t save money. There appears to be no/minimal loss of on air jobs.

Is it a ploy to con listeners before sacking talent further down the track. Make it look like local content is staying before making another lower profile change later?

Is it to save some royalties by removing a music shift? If have thought that would give minimal benefits, especially when combined with the listener movement which they’ve acknowledged will happen.

It just smacks of a poorly thought through panicked reaction. Possibly a compromise for an earlier plan to sack talent, but now just a plan that leaves a poorer product with no real benefit.

My prediction - in 12 months In at least the larger stations they’ll making less money or local breakfast will be reinstated.

2 Likes

A follow up story in this morning’s Border Mail (Albury)

4 Likes

Would have been great if Grants purchased these stations

1 Like

+1.

If money is the issue they need to merge into Grant or be taken over by SCA which in itself would trigger the sale of some stations in overlap areas anyway so Grant may be the more likely buyer.

It’s hard to believe that, despite its reputation of being ‘cheap’ (at least by most of those here on this forum), at least nearly all of the Super Radio Network’s stations in NSW & Southern QLD, both AM & FM, do have local breakfast programs on (the exception being its Coffs, Port Macq & Orange stations, who relay 2SM’s breakfast program).

4 Likes

There is still hope :pray:

1 Like

Let’s be honest, they pay minimum wage and spend SFA on their stations, so Bill isn’t suffering from the downturn.

1 Like

When ACE took over the Edge stations I was pretty excited and they actually increased there live air time from the previous owners. Then they added KTM drive, then just continued to wind things back from there. I think they are only live now between 9:00 to 15:00.

2 Likes

I just heard the 2AY decision has been reversed.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Now go the full reversal and network “The best of Kylie and Kev” to other Ace Markets. Could work well in drive for the stations that don’t take Tom Elliot.

1 Like

Before reversing that decision too? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Wouldn’t you get Kylie to stand in front of her name and Kev in front of his?

As for the Caralis comparison, it doesn’t take a global pandemic for mass random sackings.

6 Likes

Yes, I would have haha. #JustOCDThings

1 Like

Ruthven spent three years hosting workdays and on Gippsland’s TRFM, where he was also a digital content producer.

1 Like

More like breakfast.

Most recently was workdays. He was brekky in his first stint at TRFM, but was let go after less than a year… They were replaced with Dan & Gaby with Kozi (I think). Obviously, had some support from management that he got a redemption gig.

1 Like

TRFM had a breakfast show mid last decade called “Mikkayla, Kosi & Dan” at some point Mikkayla (who I think was an ex-big brother contestant or something) was replaced by Gabi, & Kosi also left too.

1 Like