ABC Sports Broadcasting

That would mean Escape From The City could be bumped from the schedule.

Yes but ten and nine wanted the games they produced themselves exclusively on their own platforms not simulcast with Kayo.

1 Like

ABC announced as Free-to-Air Television Broadcast Partner of the A-League, W-League, Socceroos and Matildas

The ABC has secured the rights to broadcast the A-League, W-League, Socceroos and Matildas matches across the next two years.

The agreement with Football Federation Australia (FFA) and FOX SPORTS, announced today, marks the first time the A-League will be broadcast on ABC TV. It also marks a return of the W-League to the ABC after being the inaugural broadcast partner of the competition from 2008 to 2017.

The ABC’s Director of Regional & Local, Judith Whelan, said the agreement to screen A-League, W-League, Socceroo and Matildas games was significant for the ABC and would form the cornerstone of the corporation’s sports coverage over the next two years. “We are thrilled to welcome Australian football into the ABC family,” Ms Whelan said.

“The ABC has unrivalled reach into every corner of Australia and we will be using that reach to help build the profile of football. We plan to use all our platforms to drive audiences to our coverage on ABC TV and iview.” Ms Whelan said the ABC was particularly pleased to welcome back the W-League after an absence of two years. “We have always been a big supporter of women’s sport in this country and will use every means possible to build the biggest audience we can for the W-League.”

Release from

I think this match will be shown live on the main channel in WA at 4.30pm local time, and in NSW, ACT, VIC and TAS at 7.30pm, and ABC Comedy in QLD, SA and NT at 7.30pm AEDT. That means repeats of Vera may air later that night or bumped off the schedule.

This is a transition season whereby the FFA and clubs will jointly mange the competition. The clubs will take full control from the 2020/21 season

Those situations would be different though since it would be in the context of negotiations for a new rights deal whereby the sports bodies have much more power to dictate terms. By comparison, Fox is in the middle of a rights deal with the FFA so anything over and above what they agreed to requires their approval

1 Like

No Fox Sports wants out of Supercars as soon as possible also.

The Rugby Union things is a harder one to figure out as the rights are done via SANZAAR and are not under any anti-siphoning list with exception to Wallabies matches played in Australia, the same applies to Supercars with exception to Bathurst 1000 which is why I said I fear for those those sporting bodies as they don’t have to sell 1st to FTA networks, with Fox Sports saying they want to scale back but keep streaming to themselves (for reasons why I mention above) these sporting bodies either have to play tough with Fox Sports or go directly to the FTA networks 1st and sell FTA+streaming as an exclusive package, hell they can sell them the pay TV rights also if need be and as such the FTA networks could offer subscription services (which is what Seven has been trying to do since the C7 days).

1 Like

no it will be simulcast also on Kayo, Nine (and Ten) wanted exclusive for their streaming platforms i.e.: no access for Kayo subs…

2 Likes

just another in a long string of own goals for the game in Australia

I’d suggest that not having a FTA deal that aligns with the subscription deal was always going to end badly - that said Fox obviously have little faith in the sport given their recent sport promotions fail to acknowledge they have A-League coverage:

https://twitter.com/miketomalaris/status/1178919826464464896

As @Jeffmister said, this year is a transition - but because the current deal bundles all of the FFA rights, it was agreed that the FFA would still be a party to changes to the current deal - the next round will be split

As I’ve said previously - the power now leans towards the media companies in rights deals. The big dollars of the recent past have pretty much gone.

Sports bodies need to be careful too - this increasing desire to in-house more of the output is resulting in an increasingly sycophantic and one-sided coverage of the sport.

Rugby is already screwed here and it may contribute to the end of Super Rugby in its current form (shame @OnAir is away at the moment to discuss that one) - Supercars is in an interesting position especially if there is still a desire to change their calendar.

We get a much better deal on live sport then a lot of other countries do for their local sport

5 Likes

As I cant edit my post (since every on I do needs approval :frowning: ) I want to clarrify what I said above

Fox Sports want to continue Supercars but lesson their commitments while aslo pay less then what the deal really is worth.

They are wiling to give Ten more rounds as that means Ten pays Supercars more while Fox Sports pays less.

that seems a bit weird and doesn’t sound right, that you need approval every time you want to edit your posts.

indeed and Australians can blame CRICKET AUSTRALIA for being the greedy bastards they are as they found a way to circumvent the anti-siphoning rules in-conjunction with Fox Sports.

Which explains why Nine has given the middle finger to all (well in a good way) that any sport they cover will be exclusive to Nine FTA and Nine Now (and potentially a Nine subscription service), I would think the NRL and AFL would be very happy with that when it comes time to talk about their sporting rights.

Let’s see if Rupert has the desire again to start his own league because you can clearly see that the next round of AFL and NRL rights will be pretty much lock out Fox Sports/Kayo.

But that is not for this thread topic.

2 Likes

I wouldnt exclude Seven from that - they rolled the dice on trying to keep Tennis and get Cricket and it didnt exactly come to fruition.

That said - CA wanted “overs” for the rights before the South African incident and then didnt readjust in the wake of the incident. The deal they ended up making was an attempt to maximise the return at the cost of the viewer (and what should have been a breach of the broadcasting act)

How bad is that? Fox are a pathetic organization and more sports need to ditch them.

1 Like

Off to a poor start if the yourtv guide is correct with the World Cup qualifier on Thursday scheduled for 8:01pm local time nationwide on the main ABC channel, so live in NSW, ACT, VIC and Tas, but on delay everywhere else.

Yes the broadcast EPG has the World Cup Qualifier delayed one hour into Brisbane on LCN 2/20.

Perhaps we are expected to watch live on iView?

I don’t think it’s a poor start. ABC’s new deal was announced less than a week out from Australia v Nepal, so the broadcaster doesn’t have much time to amend the schedule.

but there is a difference:

Seven actually bought the rights but have chosen to hoard them however they can do that due to the change in the anti-siphoning laws, that said there is nothing stopping Seven from actually broadcasting the ODI regardless of what ever deal they have in place with Fox Sports their 1st master is Cricket Australia in this regard.

The outcome of doing that would be Fox Sports takes both Seven and Cricket Australia to court.

and basically killed every other sporting body, on one hand good for them on the other hand idiots are running that place.

2 Likes
1 Like

that happened before ABC was announced as the FTA broadcaster on October 2.

1 Like

Yes. Time change announced on 2 October, ABC television deal announced on 4 October.