ABC Sports Broadcasting

Nice idea but radio and television commentary are different beasts.

3 Likes

Trying to sync analogue radio with digital TV, yeah not going to happen.

1 Like

tv ratings are in for the A-League yesterday (on twitter).

All i can say is: geez, very low numbersā€¦

3 Likes

Wow. Thatā€™s abysmal.

Then again is anyone surprised with a last minute deal, zero promotion and zero effort?

Letā€™s wildly speculate if an exclusive telecast on Nine or Ten wouldā€™ve done betterā€¦

4 Likes

That is shocking

Iā€™m assuming, given the lack of figures being bandied about, the A-League deal cost the ABC nothing.

I think this is sadly weā€™re the A-league is at its not like Fox Sports rated any better for the same game.

The early Saturday game also is generally not as desirable as the later game which this week was the Melbourne derby which is one advantage network 10 had

2 Likes

Yes I donā€™t think theyā€™re paying a rights fee. And really thereā€™s no promotion and soccer will suffer for two more years until they escape fox sports clutches.

The Fox deal goes until 2023

ABC get a clean feed from Fox Sports Pyrmont so the cost them them is virtually nothing to then distribute across there FTA/satelite networks Australia wide since they would be doing so for other content in that time slot.

The control centre ads the ABC LIVE HD id and vision switching cues.

I donā€™t think the ABC are paying a lot of money for this.

Like I said earlier, itā€™s a bad deal all round for all concerned.

1 Like

Would you think thereā€™s scope for the ABC to add to the coverage, say a presenter and expert or are they stuck with the complete feed from Fox Sports?

No.
I should note that itā€™s not entirely a 100% clean feed as the virtual on field visuals are still present:

Foxtel and Hyundai sponsor virtual boards, also the announce teams referring to the main sponsor Hyundai which is clearly not supposed to be mentioned on an ABC broadcast.

I guess they still have a few things that need to be worked out otherwise sticky beaks and busy bodies will complain about sponsors being mentioned on what is essentially a Commonwealth Govt broadcast channel, that is fine for SBS (re: NBL on Viceland) but not for ABC.

Sponsors names havenā€™t been an issue for golf broadcasts in recent years with RACV and IDPD Handa, although the latter is a bit for profit promotional organisation. Also, the ABC is a public broadcaster, not a state broadcaster, nit picking perhaps but important difference.

1 Like

The ABC broadcast the Winfield Cup rugby league and Benson & Hedges test cricket for some years without any controversy. There may not have been any on-screen graphics but there was fence advertising visible for most of game. Similarly, the WNBL which was exclusive to ABC for many years, was played on courts covered in multiple ads.

1 Like

ABC have a short media release promoting the second of two friendly matches.

Matildas Vs Chile

Tuesday 12 November 8pm on ABC and ABC iview

Australia football royalty, the Matildas, take on South American rising stars, Chile, in the second of two friendly matches in Australia. The stars of the Matildaā€™s recent campaign in the FIFA Womenā€™s Football World Cup in France are fit and ready to play in Adelaide.

This friendly is the perfect warm up for Olympic qualification and the prize of representing Australia at the Tokyo 2020 Games. Ranked 8th in the world, the Matildas are highly fancied against Chile, currently ranked 37. The teams last met in 2018 when the two nations divided the spoils at one match apiece.

The ABC has partnered with Football Federation Australia (FFA) and FoxSports, broadcasting the Matildas, Socceroos, A-League, and W-League on ABC TV + iView for all Australians.

Thought as much

3 Likes

Nice bit of 4d chess

1 Like

Well thatā€™s confirmed it.

Iā€™m guessing the ABC got the Saturday late afternoon match because:

1. Fox didnā€™t want to give up the more lucrative and higher rating night match if it had to produce all the A-League games.
  2. The ABC didnā€™t want to show the evening game as it would cut into their relatively high rating (but old skewing) Saturday night schedule
  3. The FFA wanted the FTA match on someoneā€™s (anyoneā€™s) main channel.
2 Likes

This is satisfying after seeing the usual anti-ABC circlejerk on other discussion forums screaming about the ABC ā€œwasting moneyā€ on A-League.

9 Likes

good to see that some of the info I have provided has verification.

As I speculated the ABC deal was done during the same time ABC were talking with Foxtel about carriage of their FTA channels on the pay TV platform, meanwhile FFA were desperately trying to get TEN back to the table while also trying to lure NINE (which only wanted total exclusive FTA & streaming rights for games they were prepared to do), FFA had no idea the Fox Sports/ABC deal was done until they were told.

It just show how insincere Fox Sports were in the 1st place, while they wanted less commitment (re: pay less money) they still wanted streaming rights (for Kayo), now not only do they still have to pay for production they are basically giving ABC free access to both FTA and streaming (iView during live broadcast)

THIS IS A WARNING FOR ALL SPORTING BODIES, DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR STREAMING RIGHTS TO FOX SPORTS WHEN YOU MAKE A PAY TV DEAL WITH THEM

FFA, the clubs and A-League got shafted badly, shame on Fox Sports for their behaviour during this mess.

I fear for Rugby Union and Supercars and other sports that Fox Sports now considers as ā€œnon-coreā€.

Iā€™ll have a little more to say about this over in the TEN Sport forum.

3 Likes