ABC operations

Channel 2 in crisis. Great! :wink:

On the other hand, at this commercial “news” service, it’s our job.

3 Likes

2 things. 1. Are you for freedom of speech or not? 2. Do you have an example of Andrew Bolt selling out his independence to politicians?

1 Like

You’re a funny old thing. Is it the politicians who are selling out their independence to Sky News then?

ughhh :roll_eyes:

You’re right wing bias is laughable. Bolt is vile.

2 Likes

Statement from the ABC Board

ABC Chairman Justin Milne will step down from his role effective immediately.

After discussions with the Board, Mr Milne came to the conclusion that this outcome would enable the Corporation to move forward, free from the distraction of the last few days surrounding the Managing Director.

In coming to this decision, he told the Board he was motivated by the best interests of the ABC.

The Board acknowledges Mr Milne’s experienced leadership and his contribution throughout his term.

The Board thanks Mr Milne for navigating the ABC through challenging circumstances and is grateful for his willingness to put the ABC first in coming to his decision to resign.

I’ll take that as a no.

Attack the man, not the argument. Is that how you roll?

I think the point here is the clandestine nature of the machinations.

What Sky News after dark (SAD) does, whether you like it or not, is out in the open.

The SAD line up make no secret of their alliances and they’re not journalists or at least they’re not acting as reporters of news.

What happened at the ABC was the Chairman allegedly skulking around in the background, firing off notes to the MD either at the behest of the government or to curry favor with them… that’s not on.

Apologies if I’ve missed the point of the discussion :grinning:

1 Like

Sky doesn’t have a publicly-funded obligation through a federal charter that it breaks every day.

To be fair, the ABC doesn’t break its charter everyday either.

5 Likes

What does any of this have to do with freedom of speech or Andrew Bolt selling out?

Unless you’re looking through the eyes of Pauline Hanson :joy:

Have we ever seen Jens and Pauline Hanson together in the same room? I rest my case.

4 Likes

Looking at the bigger picture. It seems like it’s a case of weak ABC management (M.G.) that has allowed some ABC commentators/broadcasters to air their bias or without accurate checking of their material which
one might take as bias against the federal coalition government.
The ABC should always be broadcasting in a fair balanced and unbiased manner.
Fact is and it’s no secret, the ABC is stacked with with left leaning staff. One might cynically say that
it’s a prerequisite for employment within the ABC.
Majority left leaning staffing is an attribute in other government funded national broadcasting entities such the UK with
the BBC & in Canada with the CBC.
Ideally for a government funded broadcaster; reporting & commentating should be balanced & without bias.
Whilst I do like my ABC I am disappointed that over recent decades it continues to drift further to the left. I’d like it to adopt a middle ground position.

Here’s another example of clear bias. This week Philip Clark (Nightlife program presenter) on ABC Local Radio when taking a call on talkback segment, Philip described Tony Abbot (TA)as being from “the Far Right” & “EXTREME Right”. That comment is simply highly exaggerated or reflecting of bias or naive bias. TA might be right wing or moderate right wing, but to inaccurately describe TA as from the EXTREME right is just nuts & wrong. I don’t know anyone in the liberal party government who could fit that bill. It’s more a description befit for a member of Ku Klux Clan or Nazi Party. One would have to be biased or positioned towards the far left to describe TA as an extreme Right winger - seriously, one has to wonder. Comments like this is what gets the ABC into trouble.

It seems to be biased inaccurate commentating & reporting by ABC commentators that has created this problem of its own making for its MD/Chairman exits. Some of the staff should look at themselves for the ABC problems, by that I mean they should not agitate the hand that feeds it (i.e. the government) with personal bias & tempting fate. That said clearly the appointment of the Michelle Guthrie as MD was not a good fit (to put it mildly) for the ABC & would not be good for morale within the ABC to have her resume her role as MD re legal action.

2 Likes

:rofl::face_vomiting::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::mask::face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Just swap ABC for Sky News and your argument will be much more taken seriously. lol

• List item
1 Like

The argument is the ABC should be impartial & independent and strive to live up to it’s charter without bias, which I think I should fairly say it does or attempt to achieve most times. It can achieve that with good management. I don’t watch Sky News. I do watch & listen to the ABC. Try to stereotype one & you will fail miserably :wink: Thanks for the feedback.

2 Likes