ABC operations

It seems the Federal Liberal Party wants to recreate the Newman experience: do a lot of unpopular shit for the sake of ideology and then get fucked by the electorate.

Don’t touch the ABC, Malc.

3 Likes

To me it just illustrates the impact conservatives are having within the administrative arm of the Libs. Was chatting to a customer at work last week who declares herself to be a lifelong Liberal party member until recently, she’s fed up with the ultra conservatives who are becoming more and more vocal in the branch.

It really is incredible - this was only days apart:

I could understand if the MP had changed his position over the course of a matter of months or years, but less than two months. The Liberals have lost it.

Bit harsh, as I understand matters, MPs weren’t involved in this vote, but if I were him or any other MP or candidate I’d be asking my branch delegate for a please explain.

Considering the Communications Minister and Prime Minister were all smiles at the vote, I don’t think it’s too harsh. According to a journalist at the Age, not a single member made a representation against the motion.
https://twitter.com/teakingw/status/1007853646875320321

The Liberals hate the ABC because the broadcaster has been criticising the Abbott-Turnbull government. But if the ABC is privatised, how can the Liberals fight against the Chinese influence in the region? Can News Corp fight against the money and resources of CGTN?

The Liberals hate of ABC goes back a lot more than that and gets a generous helping by Murdoch who has been against the ABC for decades (as his father was before him). The party is just playing to Murdoch’s tune.

5 Likes

Laurie Oakes supporting the ABC.

Screenshot_20180616-191641
Screenshot_20180616-191737

4 Likes

How much of an election issue do we think will the ABC be at the next election?

While I think we’ve reached the point whereby it will be an issue, I’m in two minds about whether it will become one of the ‘key issues’ of the campaign

2 Likes

Are there any other hot issues?

I think it’ll be right up there, the government has seemingly distanced itself from the proposal but most commentators aren’t.

The Libs have just made it one. Scott Morrison reckons they won’t privatise ABC but we all remember Tony Abbott’s “no cuts to the ABC…” spiel

1 Like

Howard cut the ABC funding in the early 2000s which costed the short-lived Fly TV Kids channel

ABC television could be worth $1 billion plus, I think, if sold without restrictions.

Classic FM, Radio National and News Radio are probably worth nothing, I think, if new owners had to retain the current low rating formats.

Triple J and at least parts of local radio would both be keenly sort if there was an auction, I think.

1 Like

Anyone who thinks that the ABC will carved off in a manner which regulates their local or regional-based content is delusional. No party that claims to be “small government” will do that.

If I were a member the Nationals, I’d be furious at the thought of our coalition partner trying to damage the one broadcaster that does regional representation well - across radio and television. Anyone for ABC Chicken Noodle updates?

3 Likes

I’m not saying it won’t be an issue - my question was querying whether it will be a ‘key’ election issue or will it be one of those ones which will come up but won’t be something that days of campaigning will be spent on it

If it becomes policy, it will be the key issue.

Doesn’t really matter. The Liberals have long kicked up a fuss when the Labor caucus supports a controversial motion, even if Labor says that it doesn’t indicate support from the Parliamentary Labor Party. Labor is finally clueing on to the fact that they can’t allow the Liberals to have it both ways; the motion is indicative of the Liberal’s base and that is enough to make supporters of the ABC very nervous and angry.

Labor isn’t wasting its time either, they’re going for the jugular:

2 Likes

If you can guarantee the protection of regional coverage as a condition of any sale, I’d say go for it.

Why does the ABC have to be government owned?

Almost every country in the world has a public broadcaster for radio and television. They provide services that commercial broadcasters don’t or won’t provide because they are not profitable.

Do you realise how little Australian scripted drama and comedy we would have on our screens without the ABC? Or the childrens programming, which the commercial networks are currently trying to abandon? Why do we have to tear down our institutions and further obliterate our culture?

13 Likes

Oh My… I can see WIN ABC coming to our screens very soon…