ABC operations

I’m Geelong based and a presenter for 94.7 The Pulse (I presented the Monday drive-show for 3 years). At one point they did want to take the frequency but were unsuccessful after public backlash years ago. The ABC News Geelong office is actually based in the same building. It’s a tiny tiny room which fits one or two journos into it.

If I was the ABC, I would be maintaining regional resources at the expense of metropolitan resources. I think the ABC’s ability to cover rural and regional areas is central to the service. Geelong has no TV news coverage other than the ABC.

All-in-all it’s a shocking decision by the government, along with the extinction of community TV.

5 Likes

Sounds interesting, where can I read of this?

1 Like

ABC head of entertainment Debbie Cuell has also left the broadcaster after completing her 12-month contract.

1 Like
5 Likes

So Broken Hill get no news from Sydney at all everything from Adelaide

1 Like

I seem to recall reading that ABC Broken Hill gets the NSW news. Is that correct?

2 Likes

According to the freeview guide they get all the ABC channels from NSW, live (ie. ABC News NSW at 6:30pm), while the commercials and SBS are the SA feeds in local/SA time.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be fair to say that Broken Hill associates itself far more with South Australia (the town runs on SA time, for example) than New South Wales in general?

Being an outback town that’s close to the NSW/SA border and largely isolated from the more populated Eastern half of NSW, I think locals would be mostly OK with having largely Adelaide/SA-based TV services (except around State Election/Budget time and the like) otherwise all services probably would’ve been switched to Sydney/NSW-based programming long ago.

3 Likes

My understanding has always been that ABC TV Broken Hill broadcasts the South Australian feed and always has done.

1 Like

ABC Broken Hill gets the NSW News during the NSW state election and federal election campaigns.

2 Likes

I think you may be misinformed. I messaged the ABC Broken HIll facebook page and they confirmed that they currently, and always have, receive the NSW feed.
This supports the freeview guide which currently has all programs starting 30mins earlier than SA.

1 Like

They may do now but historically it used to get ABS2 from Adelaide because of geography, and probably easier communication to Adelaide than Sydney, and Broken Hill being in CST.

2 Likes

But they do get SA programs on ABC Local Radio though

Yes they do. ABC Broken Hill is actually managed by the ABC’s SA Local Radio division

Hence it’s ABC Adelaide and Broken Hill on air.

I’m surprised this hasn’t been mentioned here yet.

People are still trying to pull themselves off the floor or organising riots down at their nearest Liberal member’s office.

1 Like

I popped it over here earlier Federal Politics

Few other issues were discussed beyond the ABC vote, thought that was a better place until such a motion becoming an unlikely policy.

1 Like