ABC News Presenters and Reporters

It seems that NSW is getting Canberra’s news

also Canberra trialing another image

3 Likes

Let me guess, major technical problems at Ultimo tonight?

2 Likes

There were issues with the opening titles last night, and the theme was cut short. I wonder if it’s a continuation of that?

3 Likes

Dan just said: Due to technical difficulties in Sydney this evening, viewers from Sydney and New South Wales are joining us here on ABC Canberra

1 Like

It was probably fortunate for ABC NSW that Canberra’s news was leading with two big stories which would have been high up the order on the NSW edition (Canberra Hospital shooting / fatal crash at Michelago).

3 Likes
2 Likes

Jessica Van Vonderen’s return on Friday did not get off to a good start. During a live cross for the opening story, the feed cut to the wrong reporter half way through.

1 Like

Bit of an autocue problem at the start of the first story on ABC News at Five.

I’m really not a fan on that casual looking approach.

1 Like

I don’t mind it to be honest, not sure what’s wrong with it.

Craig Allen presenting in Canberra.

Seems that he just made it to the seat

1 Like

ABC Tasmania newsman Peter Gee to retire

Peter Gee has announced his retirement after a distinguished 40-year media career – 38 years of it spent with the ABC.

For 20 years Peter has been a familiar face to Tasmanians as weeknight presenter of the flagship 7pm News. His personal career highlights include calling Kieren Perkins’s gold medal swim in the1500m freestyle at the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games and hosting the ABC Sports Awards. Peter was on deck in 2006 during the Beaconsfield mine rescue and in 2016 co-hosted the live news special from Port Arthur on the 20th anniversary of the massacre.

His farewell bulletin will be on 3 August, with his successor to be announced in coming weeks.

“After 40 years in the media I think it’s time to give the public a rest from my uninvited appearances in their lounge rooms and on their radios,” Peter said.

“The fact I’ve been allowed to go this long tells me I’ve been doing something right and from that I take great satisfaction. It has been a privilege to have been of service to such a loyal audience and to be held in some sort of regard by them.

“The personal connections I’ve been able to make with the Tasmanian public have reinforced my belief in the ABC and the special and important place it holds in the life of the nation. I’m now very much looking forward to life away from the microphone and studio camera.

“Thanks for having me.”

ABC Director News, Analysis & Investigations Gaven Morris said Peter would be sorely missed.

“The ABC won’t be the same without Peter Gee,” he said. “He has been a familiar presence in the lives of generations of Tasmanians on both TV and radio, first as a sport broadcaster and then as the state’s longest-serving 7pm newsreader.

“He has always been the same off screen as on: warm, engaging and generous with his time in support of community groups and colleagues.

“Everyone at the ABC and I’m sure all Tasmanians wish him the very best for his retirement.”

11 Likes

Was surprised to hear that news when I got in the car tonight, a lot of people calling in to the local radio to talk about their memories of Peter Gee. Seems he has quite the following. I remember Tim Cox when he was doing Mornings years ago would always call the news “The Peter Gee Show”.
I wonder if he started thinking more about retirement after his accident last year. Glad to see him come back though and be fully recovered. He was quite lucky the helmet saved him.

Congratulations Peter on a great career.
Two big losses to the ABC, after Tim Gavel of ABC Canberra and ABC Grandstand announced today he would be leaving the broadcaster on September 1.

1 Like

Liz Jackson Memorial Service

The ABC is holding a public memorial event to celebrate the life and work of the great Liz Jackson, to be held in ABC Ultimo on 2 August. Registrations are required.

If you would like to attend, please RSVP via Eventbrite.

1 Like

Not sure whether it just screened in Melbourne or nationally but there was a graphic in the first package regarding the Nine/Fairfax merger with an obviously wrong Nine logo (dots behind the 9). Do these reporters not check these packages before going to air?

3 Likes

Yeah, that package aired in NSW as well. They also showed the 2006 logo to illustrate Nine’s television assets.

Obviously wrong to us maybe, for reporters and viewers it probably barely raised an eyebrow.

4 Likes

Sorry but if you’re a reporter it should be accurate, there’s no excuses.

Without seeing what you’re talking about, it’s not new to use stock footage or similar to show what you mean. For businesses, people etc.

3 Likes