ABC News Presenters and Reporters

Rowland airs on it, Joe O’Brien, and I’m pretty sure the overnight news is done by a male out of Perth.

Part from Joe… there is very little.

Michael Tetlow.

They also have Jeremy Fernandez on the news channel (hosting The Virus). Michael Rowland on News Breakfast and Joe O’Brien as mentioned, and there’s also Insiders with David Speers as well.

IMO it doesn’t matter if there are more female presenters than male presenters if there are many female anchors who are talented and do a great job on the news channel (some of them don’t, but that’s another story).

5 Likes

I can think of things other than male news presenters this phrase is better applicable to in the Australian media.

Agreed. The industry was dominated by male presenters for decades and besides, I think many ABC News viewers of 2020 would actually prefer to see more female presenters than male ones on their screens.

Screenshot_20200828-125525~2 Screenshot_20200828-125543~2

4 Likes
1 Like

Is something going on? There seems to be a lot of high profile departures from the ABC recently.

A lot of reporters have left the ABC (through voluntary or involuntary redundancy) after ABC managing director David Anderson announced the five-year plan in July, in response to the Federal Government freezing the broadcaster’s funding increase.

3 Likes

Andrew Geoghegan’s Farewell on News Channel.

3 Likes

Well said by Andrew!

5 Likes

If the shoe was on the other foot… hypocrites.

I would say the same either way (Don’t really care too much if there is more male presenters or more female presenters, as long as they’re all high quality). But if you insist on using that kind of language, then go ahead.

1 Like

Pamela Medlen will present Monday - Thursday and Charlotte Hamlyn to present Friday - Sunday in Western Australia.

James McHale will depart on September 11.

6 Likes

New line-up for ABC 7pm News Western Australia

ABC NEWS has unveiled its new presenting line-up for 7pm News WA, with Pamela Medlen to anchor the flagship bulletin Monday-Thursday and Charlotte Hamlyn Friday-Sunday.

The change follows long-time presenter James McHale’s announcement that he’s departing the role after almost nine years. His final bulletin will be on Friday 11 September.

Pamela Medlen is a multi-platform reporter and producer who was born and raised in rural WA. She joined the ABC in 2006 from a background of radio and suburban newspaper reporting.

She is already a familiar face to viewers as weekend television news presenter.

“The ABC has a team of talented and hard-working journalists reporting the stories that matter to West Australians and, as weekend newsreader for the past 12 years, I’ve always been very proud to present their work to our audience,” Medlen says.

“I’m really pleased that with my new role I will still be able to get out on the road reporting, meeting people and finding out what’s important to them, because our audiences are at the heart of everything we do at the ABC.”

Charlotte Hamlyn has been a reporter and presenter with ABC NEWS for more than 10 years and is also a regular voice on ABC Radio Perth.

She has covered breaking news events across the state, travelled overseas with Foreign Correspondent to follow the journey of 104-year-old voluntary euthanasia advocate David Goodall and recently led the ABC’s TV coverage of the marathon Claremont serial killings trial In Perth.

Hamlyn says: “I grew up watching the ABC news ‪at 7pm with my family and telling people’s stories is my favourite pastime. To be able to share those stories from behind the news desk is a thrill and a great privilege.

“We have a team of incredibly hardworking and talented people in WA. At a time when so much is uncertain, I hope our audiences will continue to see ABC news as a trusted constant in their daily lives.”

1 Like

What is with the four day roster for the main presenter at ABC News?

Is it a coincidence that James McHale’s final bulletin is on the day as Monika Kos’ final bulletin on 10 Perth?

2 Likes

yes

6 Likes

It’s not uncommon.

Lovely photo of Emma with some of her “trusted colleagues”.

Screenshot_20200904-082749~2
Screenshot_20200904-082730~2

3 Likes

Sunday 6 September-

Mary Gearin is presenting in Victoria filling in for Tamara tonight.

5 Likes