ABC News Presenters and Reporters

Wait a second, a large and complex group of people a good reason why they should set up some sort of editor position for Indigenous Australians! Great idea Firetorch![quote=“Bluejays1985, post:227, topic:216, full:true”]
I’m trying not to but I can’t understand this reasoning or issue with Stan Grant’s new show with the ABC and his position?
[/quote]It’s not any real issue. It’s the same dogwhistle “concern” employed by the likes of Andrew Bolt to undermine ideas they don’t like.

I can see why you don’t understand - you obviously have a comprehension problem.

We’re talking about the creation of an Indigenous affairs editor for the ABC, not Stan Grant being given a 7:30 show on a Friday night.

It’s pretty simple really.

Almost as hilarious as your Abbott eating onion avatar. Side-splitting! And so totally unexpected.

You forgot to call me Hitler, though.

Er…yes, his job will literally be to ONLY look at issues affecting ONE race of Australians.

Oh please - I’ve set my issue out in so much detail that for you to come back with this as a reply just shows you’re a troll ready to go round and round in circles.

Dissect and analyse the issues I have raised - fine. Pretend you haven’t read my extremely length posts where I have set out in detail the issue - tiresome and silly.

Yes, the same way Indian Australians or Chinese Australians are a large and complex group of people too. Individuals that not only have suffered in their homeland (thus usually the reason for immigrating), but also face daily discrimination in Australia.

You’re making me laugh.

Address the legislation, address my issue, otherwise, just go away.

Sick of tiresome, childish ‘quips’ and smart-arse reponses here to actual substantive analysis.

And they have many programs in their own languages produced from their homelands housing billions. Australian indigenous people… not so lucky.

[quote=“Firetorch, post:235, topic:216”]
Sick of tiresome, childish ‘quips’ and smart-arse reponses here to actual substantive analysis.
[/quote]Pick one.

But…but…we’re not talking about an Indigenous program. We’re talking about the NEWS. You must have a comprehension problem, as I’ve already noted that Stan Grant will have TWO roles at the ABC, and we are discussing ONE of those roles here.

Further, the “homeland of Indigenous Australians” already produces a whole channel of content - NITV.

Also, native programs of Australians of other backgrounds do not cover the issues they face HERE, in Australia. What affects a Chinese mainlander is different to that of a Chinese Australian.

Ah, I addressed so many substantive points directly to you yesterday, and you still haven’t addressed any. You liked going around in circles about trivial nonsense, it seems.

My first statement was in response to someone saying themselves they couldn’t understand what I was saying. I proceeded to actually explain again, and noted they literally had a comprehension problem considering it was set out in detail many times already.

I didn’t just call him Che Guevara, Karl Marx or some other stupid left-wing related smart arse quip and leave it at that - the same way I was called Donald Trump or Andrew Bolt.

Anyway, like I’ve already said, if you’re not going to address the legislation or my issues raised, then just go away. It really is very simple.

That people seem to be irritated with me talking simple fact, strikes me as very odd.

It’s akin to the BBC hiring an editor to cover news bits that only affect Anglo Saxons. Not Normans. Definitely not. Only one race of people. And one that has been in the UK longer than another.

Just shows how dopey some Australians are, and how some love to fluff their feathers, flap their wings and claim they are the most progressive person out there - even though they’ve got zero idea what they’re talking about.

You know when someone argues the focus on only ONE race is evidence of diversity (ie MULTIPLE races), that you’re through the looking hole. 2+2 = Bolt/Hitler/Trump, to some children.

I think I’m starting to regret posting the press release…

I have a headache.

1 Like

The legislation you’ve posted doesn’t preclude the ABC from making what is in effect an operational decision to have a news editor dedicated to a particular topic - I dont see how having an indigenous affairs editor is any different to having a health, education, sports, parliament editor (etc).

While the position of editor may be new - the ABC have had people dedicated to reporting and producing content related to indigenous affairs for some time now.

Do you have any proof that this will occur or is this simply supposition on your part

1 Like

ABC News tribute to Brisbane weather presenter Jenny Woodward…

4 Likes

##abc News on Facebook Messenger

ABC News has a new way for Australians to stay across the news with the launch of a dedicated news service on Facebook Messenger.

Mobile users will now be able to get the latest headlines and stories through Messenger, whenever they want, in a fast, informative and conversational format.

After a successful trial over the past few months, the service officially launched today.

ABC News on Facebook Messenger sends users a message each morning with the latest news summary and upcoming news events. You can message the service whenever you want to find out the news you want to know, and opt-in to receive breaking news alerts. Time-pressed users have the choice of simply skimming the headlines, or can read the whole story if they wish.

ABC Director of News Gaven Morris said: “Messaging apps have seen massive global growth over the past few years, especially among younger users, and offer a promising opportunity for ABC News to reach new audiences.
"Our goal is to make ABC News an essential part of people’s daily lives by engaging with whatever medium they are on.”

ABC News on Facebook Messenger offers:
• A morning summary of what’s making news to get you up-to-speed, at a time that suits you
• A digest of the latest news available at any time
• Breaking news alerts
• News alerts for particular categories, such as Politics, Business and Sport
• Updates for special events – such as the Melbourne Cup, the Cricket Test and the US Election
• A sneak peek at the day’s upcoming news events with our ABC News calendar
• Good news stories from Australia and the world
• A selection of long reads
• The best ABC News analysis and opinion

During special events, such as the Melbourne Cup, first Cricket Test or the US election, users can get key questions answered, such as “Which horse won the Melbourne Cup?", or “What’s the score at the WACA?”, or “What’s the latest in the US election?”.

ABC News has been trialling the service since August, following on from the successful launch of an ABC News 2016 Federal Election service on Facebook Messenger and Twitter.

News content in Messenger is delivered by ABC News Digital’s editorial team and the service is powered by a third-party provider, Chatfuel.

More than 11 million people in Australia use the Facebook Messenger app each month*.

How to sign up to ABC News in Facebook Messenger: Go to this link http://m.me/abcnews.au and follow the prompts. Alternatively, find ABC News in Messenger by searching for “ABC News”. You can also find more information here on the ABC News website.

(*Nielsen DRM)

4 Likes

Vanessa O’Hanlon presented weather on ABC News Victoria tonight.

2 Likes

I was waiting for a point similar to this to be made. Sure, the ABC has editors in a range of areas. However, an editor confined to issues which affect only one particular race, and thus ignores the cultural diversity and multicultural character of the Australian community, would not be appropriate. For example, a health editor confined to issues regarding the health of Chinese Australians would conflict with the legislation.

If the Indigenous affairs editor is tasked with looking at the social disadvantage faced by Indigenous Australians, then great - call him a Social Disadvantage editor. There is no reason for that role to be restricted to issues which affect Indigenous Australians. What are the social issues affecting other groups of Australians? And in any case, the ABC already has a social affairs correspondent, Norman Hermant, which again makes me wonder about the necessity of this position.

No, I don’t have “proof” about a future event, lol. That it was a hypothesis put forward by myself is obvious on its face. Further, it’s also a fairly obvious conclusion - I noted the example of what has happened at other networks when dedicated editors are appointed to certain issues.

Vanessa presenting weather this week while Paul is on holidays.

###NEW LOOK FOR ABC NEWS IN 2017

Advance look at new logo and “colour” scheme

With change now a constant in the media landscape, in platforms, channels, competitors and audience demands, what doesn’t alter is what ABC News stands for: brave, independent and trusted journalism.

Ensuring our content is always recognisable as distinctively “ABC News content”, regardless of the platform on which it is being carried and consumed, is essential to our impact and relevance now and into the future.

In the new year the News Division will unveil an updated look on-air and on all our digital platforms, as well as changing the way we refer to our channels.

These changes will ensure it is easy for audiences to find, recognise and consume our news and current affairs content in an increasingly crowded and disrupted news market.

The main changes:

• A new ABC News look will be rolled out on all our platforms, giving us a single visual identity that is consistent across News on television, radio, digital and social media, and on third-party sites. (Above is an advance look at two versions of the new logo.) The black and white colour scheme was chosen because it is bold and distinctive, working well across digital and broadcast. The updated look will be used for all our on-screen and digital graphics, titles, maps and weather, helping to unify as well as to distinguish our content.
  • ABC News 24 and ABC NewsRadio will change names to simply become ABC News.

When necessary, descriptors will be used to point audiences to the services as “ABC News channel” and “ABC News on radio”.

In addition, new technology for on-air graphics and weather information is being rolled out alongside the new look, significantly enhancing this key content for audiences.

Audiences will see the new look in January.

8 Likes

Thankfully the rebrand was done externally.

$20 on Australia Day for the rollout.

3 Likes