ABC News History

That’s weird, wasn’t Tony Eastley based in Sydney at the time? Or did he move to Sydney from Melbourne later?

1 Like

Promoting their long running Indonesian correspondent:

2 Likes

Here’s a little compilation of some ABC News Tasmania intros from the 1980s-1990s:

Never seen some of those intros before!

6 Likes

Here’s the NT version of the 2005-2010 intro, which doesn’t have the revolving globe at the start of the intro. Can’t think of any other states/territories that do this:

4 Likes

Late Edition from January 1993:

4 Likes
5 Likes

Any reason why it was coming from the newsroom in the first clip?

1 Like

Looks like a keyed newsroom background, and there are other clips that predate that one with the same backdrop. May have been a change later in 1992 to align with studio backdrop, as you see in the second clip.

1 Like

Does anyone have any ABC Midday News from 2005-2008?

Should also say this is my first time on media spy and am also an media enthusiast.

5 Likes

Welcome to MediaSpy! :hugs:

1 Like

How funny - I was watching her* on CNN just a few hours ago. Never ceases to amaze me just how many Australians work there.

Incidentally Michael Holmes also came to CNN via the ABC - he was presenting for The (ill-fated) News Channel that both networks backed (and infamously ended up broadcasting only to Parliament House!). When CNN were looking for new presenters for their international service, one of their execs who had been involved with TNC recommended Michael. And he’s still there now, nearly 30 years on…

*EDIT: Just realised I replied to the wrong post! I actually intended to reply to the post above. The ‘her’ in question is Rosemary Church. :man_facepalming: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m intrigued by this ill fated news channel, what is this about? Did CNN and the ABC have a joint venture back in the day?

1 Like

It was called TNC (The News Channel). From what I can gather, it was a joint venture between the ABC and Fairfax, and CNN were also involved in some capacity. I think it failed largely because Foxtel (being owned of course by News Corp) refused to carry it.

Here’s a New York Times article outlining the initial announcement of the joint venture:

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/02/24/business/company-news-turner-s-cnn-in-an-australian-tv-venture.html

The Cable News Network and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation will cooperate in a 24-hour news channel in Australia under a pay-television venture announced yesterday. The venture, which also involves Cox Communications and Australia’s most profitable newspaper group, John Fairfax Holdings, aims to begin operations later this year.

2 Likes

Wow, I had no idea this happened, one wonders what might have been if it had succeeded. Typical Foxtel, refusing to carry it. Thanks so much for the info.

2 Likes

Some videos below, uploaded by someone who actually worked at TNC:

Promos and at 2:10, the start of a news bulletin:

Media coverage of TNC’s closure:

3 Likes

How long did this last for… or was it just a test broadcast with promos? looks like a bit of money was spent in getting this up and running. I read somewhere that there was a setup in Melbourne too, or that could have been another failed attempt.

2 Likes

my recollection is that it was actually up and running but because none of the pay TV carriers picked it up it had nowhere else to go, so it just got piped through the internal TV system at Parliament house in Canberra. But then I think the studio assets, etc., ended up getting bought up by Sky News? Not sure if that is correct.

3 Likes

So Optus Vision and Galaxy never screened it in 1995?

2 Likes

i don’t think they did

2 Likes

Which is odd… I would have throught Galaxy would have taken up the channel.

2 Likes