ABC News History

To start this topic off, I’m sure some people here will enjoy this!

3 Likes

I’ve always thought old AV equipment was the duck’s nuts, but it’s such a pain to acquire/maintain/store/use so I’ve never been too involved with it. Great video though!

Here are 2 ABC News Tas updates from 1991

3 Likes

Mixture of Opener and Closers over the years of Stateline on-air;

1 Like

In 1975 ABC reporter Richard Carleton telephoned the Queen’s private secretary asking what governor-general Sir John Kerr was telling her about the constitutional crisis. In reporting the call back to Government House, the private secretary got Carleton’s last name wrong.

3 Likes

in the lead up to the Qld election on the 31st someone has uploaded the complete coverage of the 2017 state election from the ABC

and here is 2015

The 7pm ABC News bulletin from 11th March 1958, the oldest in the ABC’s archives

7 Likes

on a similar note, has anyone got the full Stateline theme? it’s a real banger!

If I’m not mistaken, this is it:

1 Like

ABC News Sydney from May or June 1990:

Sports:

Throw from sports to weather:

Weather with Mike Bailey:

Headline recap;

Closer copyright:

5 Likes

And the video for this:

2 Likes

Just FYI, the sport reporter briefly seen at the desk alongside Richard is Clinton Fletcher. Moved to Nine News in the Early '90s and was a Sports Reporter there for ages, but these days seems to be a freelance journalist.

Update from 22 October 1992:

3 Likes

I found this opener amongst my old digital TV recordings from 14 January 2003:

8 Likes

ABC News Vic opener from February 21, 2008 (Credit: Malcolm Farnsworth)

1 Like

The 7pm NSW bulletin tonight used a retro style opener with 1980s theme music in recognition of the 90 Years celebration. The closer included more of the theme music including footage from past bulletins.

It was great to see!

I did see one newsreader in the closer whose face I remember but not her name. Does anyone recall who she is?

8 Likes

The retro opener and footage from past bulletins were also shown in Victoria tonight.

2 Likes

Angela Pearman.

4 Likes

And been a lawyer since the mid 90s.

3 Likes

I found this on one of my Adelaide tapes (which I recently purchased off eBay for a bargain price) a few days ago; an ABC News SA newsbreak from the 29th January 1998. :slight_smile:

At first I didn’t think there was anything particularly special about it, but SydneyCityTV informed me on Twitter that this update may have aired just days after the 1998 on-air package was launched, so I thought some of you may be interested to see it as a result.

5 Likes