ABC News Content and Appearance

I would think it’s fair to say that people aren’t going to the ABC News at 7pm for a comprehensive local news wrap. They leave that for the commercial stations.
I know people who’ll ask ‘why isn’t this on the news?’ then say ‘Oh I only watch ABC’ when you tell them it’s been all over the news.

I’d say more and more people are going to the ABC for state and local news due to the quality and story selection being put forward by commercial tv, radio and papers.

It’s the only outlet for any decent reporting on major state issues, commercials are too focused on local car crashes or whinging traders

6 Likes

I have noticed what seems like a reduction in Local stories on ABC TV Tasmania News too.

I don’t understand why they wouldn’t want to be super local, and leave the national stories to News24…

1 Like

Can’t say I’ve seen a whinging tradie on the 6pm news recently.
My point, and previous points, remain. The ABC simply doesn’t try to be a hyper local news source, nor is it where people would think to look for local stories.

Exactly!

ABC in Melbourne seem to have cafe owner operators on speed dial whatever the issue is.

1 Like

Except in Canberra …

National Good Friday bulletin out of Melbourne this year. Good to see the ABC not always default to Ultimo.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Is it 80s fancy dress night?

3 Likes

Jeez that screen’s burnt out already!

That’s a bit harsh, isn’t it?
Who cares what the presenter is wearing, doesn’t change anything about the bulletin

5 Likes

No? It’s an LED screen.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Perhaps this has been answered before- but why didn’t they just simulcast the 30 minute national bulletin that Mariam was presenting on the news channel?

3 Likes

Is Easter Saturday usually national? I thought that it was only national on Good Friday in the past.

2 Likes

Just looked very dim to me.

Probably the aperture on the CCU was too low on that camera. The national backdrop looked fine. If it was burn out that would be dim, but it’s not.

1 Like

Back to state bulletins tonight.

1 Like

Budget 2023

Treasurer Jim Chalmers will deliver his second budget as inflation and the rising cost-of-living continue to bite households and businesses alike.

The Federal Budget of 2023 will be handed down on Tuesday, 9th May. Treasurer Jim Chalmers will deliver his second budget as inflation and the rising cost-of-living continue to bite households and businesses alike.
Join the ABC expert team for the most extensive coverage, analysis and updates throughout the evening.

7:30pm: The Treasurer Jim Chalmers’ speech.

8:00pm: Budget 2023: ABC News Special hosted by Sarah Ferguson and Jeremy Fernandez including interviews with the Treasurer Jim Chalmers and Shadow Treasurer Angus Taylor and analysis from Laura Tingle, Andrew Probyn and David Speers. In addition, David Chau looks at what’s in the budget for business, Shalailah Medhora on the government’s response to the cost-of-living crisis being felt particularly keenly by young people and the unemployed, and Dan Bourchier on what’s in the Budget for the Voice.

9:00pm: In a primetime Insiders Budget Special, David Speers and a group of the program’s most popular panellists break down the Federal Budget and look at the political implications as well as how the policies will affect Australians.

9.30pm A half hour The Business hosted by Kathryn Robinson.

The ABC will also broadcast Opposition Leader Peter Dutton’s Budget Reply speech at 7:30pm (AEST) on Thursday, 11th May.

1 Like

Interesting The Drum has been shafted. No real loss.