ABC News Content and Appearance

Feel like I’m the only one who watches abc news, but Canberra returned to the dark backdrop tonight.

3 Likes

There was a technical issue at the start of Victorian bulletin tonight, meaning the slide-up preview was not shown and Mary Gearin read the headlines facing the camera.

1 Like

Don’t the backdrop loops always get changed to coincide with the start/end of DST?

Either way, here’s the NSW version:

ABC News Victoria doing an OB for the election tomorrow, based in Higgins.

3 Likes

So somewhere in Malvern perhaps? (For those who are wondering, the suburb is located right in the middle of Federal Division of Higgins in inner Melbourne)

1 Like

Faine is doing his morning show from the corner of High Street and Glenferrie Road, so perhaps they’ll stake out that spot all day.

Be interesting to see where else they get to. I’d guess Corangamite and Indi would be ideal for regional areas, perhaps one other metro area.

2 Likes

TV was at Toorak Park.

2 Likes

Tonight’s pointless graph from Alan Kohler. Hopefully one day he will have a graph that means something.

1 Like

If that’s how you interpret it, I’d say you’ve missed the point of it!

IE, despite the way some people carry on about Libs good, Labor bad for the markets, the reality is different.

The Business now from the 7.30 set (previously NSW News set). But it’s not in HD unlike 7.30:

6 Likes

National 7pm Bulletin tonight owing to the Good Friday holiday.

3 Likes

Did the ABC ever used to do this?

I know they’ve gone national on Christmas Day for several years though…

I don’t think they did.

1 Like

Run for the hills. The world is coming to an end.

Another network deciding - sensibly - that there just isn’t enough news to warrant local newsrooms at full capacity.

You may disagree, but personally I think Seven & Nine should not be the only metropolitan networks airing localised main evening news bulletins tonight.

If I was a regular viewer of either 10 News First or ABC News (just for the record, I do sometimes watch the local editions but very rarely or never the national weekend/holiday versions), I’d be very disappointed that there was a national edition on tonight.

Would the average viewer even notice?

3 Likes

They will when the On-Air Presentation & weather forecast isn’t as localised as it usually is.

I could go on forever but the point I’m trying to make is that for all the praise people give 10 News Fourth First (which I personally think is overstated) or ABC News, we should expect the same high quality levels of relevant local news content from them 365 days a year.

If Seven/Nine did national bulletins on Good Friday & Christmas Day (thankfully common sense prevails at both networks), I’d be complaining about them too.

I honestly think you are overestimating how much people really care and take notice. We do, because we have an invested interest, but I believe the average viewer really doesn’t care.

4 Likes

This. 100% this.

If Mary Sue or Joe Blow are home tonight AND they give a rats ass that their local news reader isn’t fronting the headlines of the day … then I’ll eat my hat.

I’ll give you the weekends but not Christmas Day or Good Friday. Those are the two public holidays of the year where everything is shut.

7 Likes