ABC News Content and Appearance

The Daily Telegraph and Herald Sun are least trusted but amongst the highest selling papers.

1 Like

News and Fairfax papers are renowned for their sensationalist journalism more than most sources, so it’s not surprising that they are among the least trusted sources. They are in it for the sales.

Similarly with Seven, Nine and Ten. They are more concerned with ratings, this is much less so with ABC and SBS, so there is a perception that their reporting will be more accurate, hence the trust factor.

1 Like

A claim about a news service that can be verified - unlike many commercial network slogans.

17 Likes

ABC News NT - Saturday;

8 Likes

Elysse Morgan fronted a one-sided report on the GST. What could have been a good feature about the twentieth anniversary of the tax and options for the future, was instead a biased story pushing for the GST to be raised. It’s almost as if the ABC is trying to get on the government’s good side by sucking up to them. I thought the ABC was supposed to have balanced news reports.

John Howard and John Hewson were interviewed, but they only used a couple of grabs from Howard and basically just one sentence from Hewson. The interviews with two important figures in the history of the tax were wasted. The interviews with two state treasurers were also wasted.

Instead Elysse Morgan bounced around the edge of Sydney Harbour gleefully saying that it needed to be raised, and no one appeared who had a different point of view.

An absolute disgrace.

6 Likes

The Business also looks different now with the new plasma screen in the 7.30 studio:

6 Likes

End of Fin year spend it seems?

Happy EOFYS. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Oh dear, you’re reminding me of those dreadful Foxtel commercials from about a decade ago!

1 Like

Possibly not the right thread, but wasn’t too sure where else to ask this.

Is there any reason the ABC does not have multi-city regional bulletins in place?
Given the way regional news is going nowadays, I feel the ABC are in a great position to have regional bulletins.

I was thinking about how they have ABC News Canberra and ABC News Darwin and it got me wondering why there isn’t an ABC News North QLD. The entire NQ region has a population of about 500,000, which is much larger than Canberra or Darwin. The bulletin could be broadcast in Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, and along the northwestern QLD transmitters. It would certainly be more relevant than the Brisbane bulletin is.

Is it just a matter of funding, or is there some other reason that ABC doesn’t have any regional news bulletins in place?

1 Like

One big limiting factor is that there is only one regional feed for each state, so that there is no way to have different programs across different regions.

5 Likes

Yep, there used to be separate “capital city” and “regional” feeds of the ABC’s main channel (only really evident whenever local radio promos were played) but these ended a while ago.

I’d imagine that a lack of funds and infrastructure has something to do with there being a lack of any more expansive local ABC News bulletins on television.

2 Likes

Late reply, but it’s worth filing a complaint on this if you haven’t already. A clear breach of editorial standards.

1 Like

Thanks.

I agree. The story came across as a biased puff piece, which is what I thought when I saw it on Sunday night. I’ve watched it again just to make sure, there certainly was very little balance.

I’m not usually one who considers the ABC to have right wing bias (like those who criticise David Speers on Twitter every Sunday morning), but the story seemed to be cheerleading for a GST increase.

3 Likes

I guess as others have said they have state feeds, not local. Would be quite a huge infrastructure hurdle. This is where IPlayer comes in.

Would be awesome to see ABC start to offer regional news bulletins live and on demand on IPlayer accesses vĂ­a post code.

NSW could perhaps be split into 6
Sydney & Central Coast
Newcastle & Hunter
Northern
North West
Southern
Western

And each region get a live 10 minute bulletin at 6.50pm leading into 7pm news

ABC would love to, but they don’t have the budgets, they used to IIRC until early 90s? Maybe late 80s?

It’s something they should do, and should be funded to do…

6 Likes

Only 10 minutes? Personally I think a dedicated bulletin for the capital cities and at least some of the larger regions (from a NSW perspective, certainly Newcastle & Hunter + Wollongong & the Illawarra) would need to be a full half hour.

You can’t tell me with a straight face that not enough happens in a region of five million people like “Sydney and Central Coast” to fill a full half hour bulletin. Sure on some nights you’d probably be looking at local council issues, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing when 11 out of the 13 local government areas in NSW with over 200k residents live in this “Sydney and Central Coast” market. I’m sure there are important stories which happen in these places which currently get minimal (or even no) media coverage but would be worthwhile for the ABC to do reporting on.

If I’m not mistaken, ABC Regional News on TV ended in the mid-1980s.

While such a proposal is unlikely to happen anytime soon, of course I agree it’d be absolutely fantastic if it became a reality.

Something is better than nothing, it wouldn’t replace the 7pm news but just include the hokey local stories like the annual show, council politics and sport.

1 Like

Plenty happens. I’d start at 10 minutes and increase to 15 or 30 if successful. Remember this is iView - viewing is probably a little different.